February 2016 Garden Club

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
173 posts
kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: February 2016 Garden Club

Postby kdm31091 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:10 pm

The guy who got shutdown from comenity just got his own "ask me anything" big thread where people are asking him tons of questions. Certainly nice to see people being able to directly ask someone things, but of course since it's MF, the questions are very PC and not "why the heck did you app for so many cards and not expect AA to occur?"

Nevertheless, I find it pretty strange. These people act like AA occurring is some sort of scientific mysterious event that they have to analyze for 20 years. It happened ,move on, use other cards. Seriously. Life goes on. If anything, all they're doing is rubbing it in the person's face at this point instead of just letting it go.

Maybe I'm just jaded but I find the endless questions, "perspective" and such about AA kind of bewildering. It's really not a terribly complicated situation that needs analysis. :confused:


JonE
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:55 am
Location: Denver

Re: February 2016 Garden Club

Postby JonE » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:08 pm

My reading at MYFICO nowadays is merely for entertainment value, which there is plenty of. I rarely post in threads there anymore, and wouldn't take advice from anyone there who posts regularly. It seems most of the posts consist of people who can't think for themselves, with "Should I apply for this" "Should I close that" threads. If you don't know, then do your research or don't bother doing it.
Wallet: Chase Freedom, Discover IT
Chopping Block: Synchrony
Future: TBD

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: February 2016 Garden Club

Postby kdm31091 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:26 pm

JonE wrote:My reading at MYFICO nowadays is merely for entertainment value, which there is plenty of. I rarely post in threads there anymore, and wouldn't take advice from anyone there who posts regularly. It seems most of the posts consist of people who can't think for themselves, with "Should I apply for this" "Should I close that" threads. If you don't know, then do your research or don't bother doing it.


It's stupid. I don't get why people want/need permission from a forum to open or close a card. I agree, they truly can't think for themselves in most cases.

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: February 2016 Garden Club

Postby kdm31091 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:41 am

It's nice seeing my creditkarma AAOA steadily rising. While of course it's not a true AAOA, it's still nice to see something moving in a positive direction, and although it's not the same number as my actual AAOA, it does mean my actual AAOA is also increasing!

Gardening does pay off, and I find I think about apps less and less as time goes on. I've really hit a point where I realize that outside of sign up bonuses, there's just such a diminishing return with adding more and more cards that for my spending, it's not worthwhile. So I won't be adding anything unless I get rid of something. I'm happy with most of my cards so don't see that happening at the moment.

OldMan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:49 pm
Location: USA

Re: February 2016 Garden Club

Postby OldMan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:07 pm

Forgive me Garden for I have sinned! I was being really good too! But someone (at the other end of the interwebs) mention an AARP Card. (that's for us old people, not you youngsters) I didn't mean to look, and I didn't mean to app, but that 3% on Dining was just toooooo tempting. Oh well........................

On a positive note:

Congratulations! We've approved your application for a credit card from Chase.

We'll send your new card and complete account information in the mail within the next two weeks.
Thank you for applying for a Chase credit card. We look forward to serving you.

P.S. does anyone know if you can still pull a credit report for free if you get the best APR on a card?
My Wallet:
Discover IT - $4000;
AMEX BCE $12000;
Citi Double Cash - $6600;
CHASE AARP Visa - $5000;
Banana Republic $1200;
NFM - $20,000;
Sears (Citi) MC - $6000;

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: February 2016 Garden Club

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:23 pm

OldMan wrote:Forgive me Garden for I have sinned! I was being really good too! But someone (at the other end of the interwebs) mention an AARP Card. (that's for us old people, not you youngsters) I didn't mean to look, and I didn't mean to app, but that 3% on Dining was just toooooo tempting. Oh well........................

On a positive note:

Congratulations! We've approved your application for a credit card from Chase.

We'll send your new card and complete account information in the mail within the next two weeks.
Thank you for applying for a Chase credit card. We look forward to serving you.

P.S. does anyone know if you can still pull a credit report for free if you get the best APR on a card?

Hope you got the $200 signup bonus. 3% on dining is only a little more than 2% from Double Cash, and Discover will have restaurants as a rotating category in Q2.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

OldMan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:49 pm
Location: USA

Re: February 2016 Garden Club

Postby OldMan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:36 pm

Yep, got the $200 bonus. And while it's only a percent, Dining is #2 spend for me and the Wife. It's all about maximizing bonuses with as few cards as possible now. I'll keep the Discover for the rotating, the Amex for gas, the DC for everything else, and this lets me get the most for Dining now. Pretty happy.
My Wallet:
Discover IT - $4000;
AMEX BCE $12000;
Citi Double Cash - $6600;
CHASE AARP Visa - $5000;
Banana Republic $1200;
NFM - $20,000;
Sears (Citi) MC - $6000;

oldsoldier
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm
Location: TN

Re: February 2016 Garden Club

Postby oldsoldier » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:01 pm

Young lady once told me that we old dudes just want to eat out all the time lol.

Great card, now sin no more!!!
BoA Cash Rewards $13,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred $14,000
BoA Better Balance $12,000
Amex Every Day $24,000
Discover It $17,000
NFCU Platinum Visa $25,200
Barclay Arrival WMC $10,000
Cap One QuickSilver WMC $6,200
WF Cash back Visa Sig $11,000
Citi Thank You Premier $11,600

User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: February 2016 Garden Club

Postby Vattené » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:25 pm

kdm31091 wrote:Gardening does pay off, and I find I think about apps less and less as time goes on. I've really hit a point where I realize that outside of sign up bonuses, there's just such a diminishing return with adding more and more cards that for my spending, it's not worthwhile. So I won't be adding anything unless I get rid of something. I'm happy with most of my cards so don't see that happening at the moment.

That's been my attitude for a while, too. I've got good cards now and my credit profile/current financial situation is such that I would be open to bonus hunting and churning, but I'm also not traveling much so it's just not worth it to me now. I'd be willing to get something for a great bonus, but the more workhorse cards simply aren't worth it when you already have decent products. I don't plan on actually doing it, but I'd be more willing to get a Quicksilver than a Double Cash because it would take $20,000 of spending before the Double Cash becomes more lucrative. The Double Cash is a great value and would be good for me if I was starting out, but in my position it just doesn't do much for me.

I joke about wanting a 100,000 Platinum offer. I don't think I'll get it, but if I did I would take it. That's a serious bonus I would be willing to take a risk on (even a 50,000 PRG since the first AF is waived). I'd like to be a serious churner and travel rewards enthusiast, I'm just not high enough a roller :ppp
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 809 (11/16) | TU - 803 (11/16)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

Kevin86475391
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:04 pm
Location: Texas

Re: February 2016 Garden Club

Postby Kevin86475391 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:05 pm

OldMan wrote:Forgive me Garden for I have sinned! I was being really good too! But someone (at the other end of the interwebs) mention an AARP Card. (that's for us old people, not you youngsters) I didn't mean to look, and I didn't mean to app, but that 3% on Dining was just toooooo tempting. Oh well........................
OldMan wrote:Yep, got the $200 bonus. And while it's only a percent, Dining is #2 spend for me and the Wife. It's all about maximizing bonuses with as few cards as possible now. I'll keep the Discover for the rotating, the Amex for gas, the DC for everything else, and this lets me get the most for Dining now. Pretty happy.


Yeah, dining is one of my biggest spend categories too...indeed probably largest after housing/utilities. That does sound appealing. I've been looking for a way to consistently get more than 2% cash back for dining out. 5% is great when Chase and Discover are doing their categories but that still leaves at least half the year where my 2% DC is the best option. I was planning to start a thread asking for best dining out rewards options soon.

Do you have to be old enough for regular AARP to qualify? I'm not, but I thought I had seen somewhere where some younger people had managed to get it anyway. 3% cashback on dining out would be ideal for me. Unfortunately all the other dining oriented cards I've seen are travel focused with miles or hotel stays as rewards and I do absolutely no traveling at all so definitely want cash back.



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests