December 2015 Garden Club

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
284 posts
kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: December 2015 Garden Club

Postby kdm31091 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:07 am

JonE wrote:What cracks me up is some of the signatures that show their gardening date. One in particular says "Gardening since 12/18/15" (read: three days ago).


And the gardening date always mysteriously "changes" because they keep "falling out". Like I said, then why make some big thing about gardening? Just don't say anything one way or another if you want anyone to take you seriously.

Or the people who are all "gardening til 2017" then a week later that vanishes from their signature because they realized they can't do it. It's really sad.


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: December 2015 Garden Club

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:05 pm

I definitely don't see very many posts from people who, in their signatures, entered the garden in 2014 and are still on track to remain there until 2016.

Some of them surely applied for something in 2015...but maybe others just aren't posting on credit websites?

I'm not on there enough to remember who apped for what when...but to some (limited) extent, people who have had recent apps are more likely to be posting on there.

*I definitely do see some signatures with a constantly changing "gardening since" date, so I know what you mean. I just mean that a lot of people are gardening on there, but are easily overlooked when they have few (or no) recent posts.
Keeping indefinitely: IHG, SchwabPlat, CSP, Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE, Hyatt
May close or PC: Prestige, Arrival, BrooksBros
AA Platinum converting into Costco

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech
Letting new accounts cool off since May

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: December 2015 Garden Club

Postby kdm31091 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:49 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I definitely don't see very many posts from people who, in their signatures, entered the garden in 2014 and are still on track to remain there until 2016.

Some of them surely applied for something in 2015...but maybe others just aren't posting on credit websites?

I'm not on there enough to remember who apped for what when...but to some (limited) extent, people who have had recent apps are more likely to be posting on there.

*I definitely do see some signatures with a constantly changing "gardening since" date, so I know what you mean. I just mean that a lot of people are gardening on there, but are easily overlooked when they have few (or no) recent posts.


I would think if one really wants to garden and not app, being on myfico 24/7 like some of them are isn't the best plan. You just get tempted. Whether you can resist the temptation is another matter entirely, but if you're good with what you've got, going on a site like myfico all the time doesn't tend to help. At least here we can discuss things while remaining level headed and not impulsive. I like this type of environment better.

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: December 2015 Garden Club

Postby kdm31091 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:13 pm

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit- ... -p/4380814

Seriously, is this not common sense? The threads get worse and worse.

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: December 2015 Garden Club

Postby Tubpbs » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:48 pm

4ktvs wrote:
kdm31091 wrote:Wow, this latest thread really blows my mind.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit- ... -p/4379897

First of all, it's the usual myfico apping just out of boredom or just because. And of course, also as usual, only a few people say "you don't need anything"; most jut oblige and provide suggestions that are of minimal or zero gain for the OP.

But even OP's attitude is troubling. Why is there some arbitrary need to get "just one more card" before the end of 2015? How is 2015 different than any other year in your life? I just don't understand. I do, to a point, understand diversifying but OP seems a bit obsessed about it. These aren't stocks/investments, just credit cards. While it's important to not put all of your eggs in one basket so to speak, you also don't NEED a card from every lender that's out there and make the excuse of "diversifying". No, you are addicted to apps/cards...


The only word that fits that mess is addiction. I think after 5 issuers/cards for most people the argument for not putting all your credit eggs in one basket begins to greatly diminish. I did that this year and went slightly over broad with the last card from FNBO but anyways I don't do it like they do.

I would like a US bank Cash+ but for one I know that would be a wasted HP, for two I have this low limit card to deal with and for three my report needs a long rest from any more AAOA hits. I am not going to "fall out of the garden" over a AARP card and the fact stupid Chase is the issuer makes it easy for me to stay away from those sub-prime scum bucket cards with monthly account fees.



FYI - Chase still doesn't have any monthly account fees. That's a misconception you can't seem to shake... I'm sorry whatever happened to your relative happened several years ago, but they have no monthly fees and they certainly don't have any undisclosed monthly fees...
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

Vermonster
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: NJ

Re: December 2015 Garden Club

Postby Vermonster » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:51 pm

"they want me more than I want them"

This is such an arrogant way of looking at credit cards. It's very dangerous too. It can quickly become "they won't charge off my cards, they make too much in interest on me." That's why you have boomerang BKers. I guess they just have to burn every bridge before they can learn how to use money.

My credit goal for 2016 is to get all cards above $10k limit. I do let statements post balances so the extra headroom will be nice. But it is also something I can work towards without taking HPs. Citi will be the hardest to get up there. It will all depend on how my next SP cli goes. I'm hoping for a nice auto cli on the CSP in the next few months. With a little competition, Chase has really brought their A game.
Chase Freedom $9k~~Chase Sapphire Preferred $6.5k~~Amex Blue Cash Preferred $12.4k~~Citi Double Cash $4.7k

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: December 2015 Garden Club

Postby Tubpbs » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:13 pm

Vermonster wrote:"they want me more than I want them"

This is such an arrogant way of looking at credit cards. It's very dangerous too. It can quickly become "they won't charge off my cards, they make too much in interest on me." That's why you have boomerang BKers. I guess they just have to burn every bridge before they can learn how to use money.

My credit goal for 2016 is to get all cards above $10k limit. I do let statements post balances so the extra headroom will be nice. But it is also something I can work towards without taking HPs. Citi will be the hardest to get up there. It will all depend on how my next SP cli goes. I'm hoping for a nice auto cli on the CSP in the next few months. With a little competition, Chase has really brought their A game.


I have a very similar goal.

Have you received more than one auto CLI from them?
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

4ktvs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: December 2015 Garden Club

Postby 4ktvs » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:37 pm

Tubpbs wrote:
4ktvs wrote:
kdm31091 wrote:Wow, this latest thread really blows my mind.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit- ... -p/4379897

First of all, it's the usual myfico apping just out of boredom or just because. And of course, also as usual, only a few people say "you don't need anything"; most jut oblige and provide suggestions that are of minimal or zero gain for the OP.

But even OP's attitude is troubling. Why is there some arbitrary need to get "just one more card" before the end of 2015? How is 2015 different than any other year in your life? I just don't understand. I do, to a point, understand diversifying but OP seems a bit obsessed about it. These aren't stocks/investments, just credit cards. While it's important to not put all of your eggs in one basket so to speak, you also don't NEED a card from every lender that's out there and make the excuse of "diversifying". No, you are addicted to apps/cards...


The only word that fits that mess is addiction. I think after 5 issuers/cards for most people the argument for not putting all your credit eggs in one basket begins to greatly diminish. I did that this year and went slightly over broad with the last card from FNBO but anyways I don't do it like they do.

I would like a US bank Cash+ but for one I know that would be a wasted HP, for two I have this low limit card to deal with and for three my report needs a long rest from any more AAOA hits. I am not going to "fall out of the garden" over a AARP card and the fact stupid Chase is the issuer makes it easy for me to stay away from those sub-prime scum bucket cards with monthly account fees.



FYI - Chase still doesn't have any monthly account fees. That's a misconception you can't seem to shake... I'm sorry whatever happened to your relative happened several years ago, but they have no monthly fees and they certainly don't have any undisclosed monthly fees...


I know they don't have those fees in the terms you agree to, but I don't trust them in the slightest to uphold there own terms. I don't want to deal with a trade line that might get involved in a class action suit because the stupid issuer is a bait and switcher with what they put in the fine print vs what they do less than a year later just because you aren't paying the interest that they hope for via carrying a balance.

It was a long time ago in 2008 so maybe they don't do that anymore but I feel like I can/have done better with the cards I have.

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: December 2015 Garden Club

Postby Tubpbs » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:43 pm

If someone brings a class action suit on behalf of a class you are a member of, you can simply opt out. Done deal.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: December 2015 Garden Club

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:00 pm

4ktvs wrote:I don't want to deal with a trade line that might get involved in a class action suit

Practically speaking, that leaves you with the Dental Hygienists' Credit Union of Greater Sheboygan.
Keeping indefinitely: IHG, SchwabPlat, CSP, Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE, Hyatt
May close or PC: Prestige, Arrival, BrooksBros
AA Platinum converting into Costco

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech
Letting new accounts cool off since May



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests