Unnecessarily high CLs?

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
43 posts
User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Unnecessarily high CLs?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:59 am

rockyrock wrote:I disagree on the signature, it takes up the same amount of (vertical) space across the bottom whether it's three lines that go half-way across or three lines that go all the way across...

I haven't been declined for a card in years but I've clearly peaked. In Jan/14 Citi approved me for the Exec/AAdv at $19k, last month they approved the AT&T with a $8.5k. It could be several factors but my FICO is the same (or better) but my utilization is higher with a few BTs, I have a car note and it is the second card from Citi.

On the other hand, years ago the Marriott started at $12k and three years later CSP came in at $20k.

Oh I dislike the new signature policy, too, and agree vertical space is not saved. I was just saying how I had coped with it. My signature may be incomprehensible to some people, but it's accurate for those that can decipher it.

Do AT&T cards often have CLs significantly higher than $8.5k?
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when


JonE
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:55 am
Location: Denver

Re: Unnecessarily high CLs?

Postby JonE » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:51 pm

I love the new thread over there where the guy gets denied by Chase and opens a thread simply to complain about it. Banks aren't your boss. Ultimately they'll decide who is worthy of credit and who isn't. I'm not sure I'll stop posting over there, maybe someday. But I like the place because of the threads that are a prime example of what not to do. Anymore they might as well change it to an online casino, it's the same difference.
Wallet: Chase Freedom, Discover IT
Chopping Block: Synchrony
Future: TBD

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Unnecessarily high CLs?

Postby Nixon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:12 pm

JonE wrote:I love the new thread over there where the guy gets denied by Chase and opens a thread simply to complain about it. Banks aren't your boss. Ultimately they'll decide who is worthy of credit and who isn't. I'm not sure I'll stop posting over there, maybe someday. But I like the place because of the threads that are a prime example of what not to do. Anymore they might as well change it to an online casino, it's the same difference.


Lol...

I had to sign in for a min to see that. Classic.
I guess in the end I only stayed there because of the never-ending string of newbs screwing up their credit with SCTs and 50 card app sprees. Maybe I thought I could change them! :lift:
Image

thom02099
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:49 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: Unnecessarily high CLs?

Postby thom02099 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:43 am

Nixon wrote:
JonE wrote:I love the new thread over there where the guy gets denied by Chase and opens a thread simply to complain about it. Banks aren't your boss. Ultimately they'll decide who is worthy of credit and who isn't. I'm not sure I'll stop posting over there, maybe someday. But I like the place because of the threads that are a prime example of what not to do. Anymore they might as well change it to an online casino, it's the same difference.


Lol...

I had to sign in for a min to see that. Classic.
I guess in the end I only stayed there because of the never-ending string of newbs screwing up their credit with SCTs and 50 card app sprees. Maybe I thought I could change them! :lift:


Maybe I thought I could change them!

Hey...you tried! They didn't like the message, so they killed the messenger... :beat:
Retired, and in the process of retiring cards!
EQ = 846 EX=828 TU = 836 as of 02/2016

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Unnecessarily high CLs?

Postby kdm31091 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:18 am

JonE wrote:I love the new thread over there where the guy gets denied by Chase and opens a thread simply to complain about it. Banks aren't your boss. Ultimately they'll decide who is worthy of credit and who isn't. I'm not sure I'll stop posting over there, maybe someday. But I like the place because of the threads that are a prime example of what not to do. Anymore they might as well change it to an online casino, it's the same difference.


And then everyone rushes to coddle the poster because they obviously should be handed whatever they want.

Myfico is in hysteria over the Chase policy because they realize it means they can't willy nilly apply for a bunch of cards with Chase anymore. This has turned their world upside down. It's kind of humorous and yet so sad at the same time. Do they have nothing else to care about in their lives? A few posters just keep perpetuating the threads forever and ever. "We're just gathering data points".... what more data is there to gather? You can't churn Chase cards anymore, nor will they accept people with more than 5 new accounts in 2 years. It is what it is. They need to move on.

rockyrock
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 am
Location: Ventura, CA

Re: Unnecessarily high CLs?

Postby rockyrock » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:30 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
Do AT&T cards often have CLs significantly higher than $8.5k?


IDK, it doesn't seem to be a very popular or marketed card, and it's kind of new. It's just a regular Citi MC that issues TY points. I haven't figured out how valuable the TY points are yet but they look about average. It's 3x though for online retail and travel purchases and AT&T purchases. So i've been using it for my wireless bill and online purchases and have been racking up the TY points.

I'll proly keep using it for online and AT&T unless there is a rotating 5% on another card...
American Express (2005): Premier Rewards Gold & Blue Cash Preferred
Chase: Freedom & UA Club USAA: Signature Visa & American Express
Discover it Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines WEMC Synchrony Sam's MC
Navy FCU Platinum Visa Citi Double Cash & AT&T Access MC

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: Unnecessarily high CLs?

Postby Nixon » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:53 am

kdm31091 wrote:
JonE wrote:I love the new thread over there where the guy gets denied by Chase and opens a thread simply to complain about it. Banks aren't your boss. Ultimately they'll decide who is worthy of credit and who isn't. I'm not sure I'll stop posting over there, maybe someday. But I like the place because of the threads that are a prime example of what not to do. Anymore they might as well change it to an online casino, it's the same difference.


And then everyone rushes to coddle the poster because they obviously should be handed whatever they want.

Myfico is in hysteria over the Chase policy because they realize it means they can't willy nilly apply for a bunch of cards with Chase anymore. This has turned their world upside down. It's kind of humorous and yet so sad at the same time. Do they have nothing else to care about in their lives? A few posters just keep perpetuating the threads forever and ever. "We're just gathering data points".... what more data is there to gather? You can't churn Chase cards anymore, nor will they accept people with more than 5 new accounts in 2 years. It is what it is. They need to move on.


Obviously the correct thing to do is only use your Chase cards for bonus category spend and set them aside otherwise. ;)
Image

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Unnecessarily high CLs?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:49 pm

Nixon wrote:Obviously the correct thing to do is only use your Chase cards for bonus category spend and set them aside otherwise. ;)

Freedom used to be my "everything else" card, but I prefer to have EDP or a card that needs minimum spending.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

rockyrock
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 am
Location: Ventura, CA

Re: Unnecessarily high CLs?

Postby rockyrock » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:12 am

On the topic of unnecessarily high CLs...I closed my Marriott Premier card yesterday. Before I closed it I shifted the available credit to my Freedom. The CSR said I can only move XX amount over because giving you anything over a $35k limit on one card requires special authorization from some other department. I told her that I thought $35k on one card was proly enough so there was no need...lol. So I lost $3500 of available credit yesterday but am one step closer to my goal of closing unused cards.
American Express (2005): Premier Rewards Gold & Blue Cash Preferred
Chase: Freedom & UA Club USAA: Signature Visa & American Express
Discover it Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines WEMC Synchrony Sam's MC
Navy FCU Platinum Visa Citi Double Cash & AT&T Access MC

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Unnecessarily high CLs?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:09 am

rockyrock wrote:On the topic of unnecessarily high CLs...I closed my Marriott Premier card yesterday. Before I closed it I shifted the available credit to my Freedom. The CSR said I can only move XX amount over because giving you anything over a $35k limit on one card requires special authorization from some other department. I told her that I thought $35k on one card was proly enough so there was no need...lol. So I lost $3500 of available credit yesterday but am one step closer to my goal of closing unused cards.

Which cards are you planning to keep vs. close?

Chase does have some peculiar internal credit and security rules. I called them to ask for a chipped debit card, and the CSR said I wasn't eligible to request one, since IHG was less than a month old.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests