Active EMV reader propagation?

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
12 posts
User avatar
PhillyPhoto
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 3:32 pm
Location: New England

Active EMV reader propagation?

Postby PhillyPhoto » Wed May 20, 2015 10:16 am

I got my first chipped card a month or so ago and since then I've tried to use EMV readers with very little success. The only place that I've seen them use it is a mom & pop bakery, and they do it behind the counter, it's not something I have the opportunity to do myself. I'm surprised bigger retailers aren't using or activating them. I've tried on terminals that have NFC enabled and nothing happens when I insert my card, I have to use the magnetic stripe still.

What's everyone else's experience when it comes to using the chips in EMV cards?
Main Cards:
Amex: Surpass
Chase: Hyatt

Sock drawer Cards:
Amex: HHonors, MB Plat
Chase: Amazon.com Rewards, Freedom
Citi: Macy's Amex, Simplicity, ThankYou
Citizens Bank: Cash Back Plus World
Discover: it
Elan: Bank Rewards
Synchrony: PayPal Extras

755 Eq (12/16)|748 TU (12/16)|726 Ex (1/17)


Vermonster
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Active EMV reader propagation?

Postby Vermonster » Wed May 20, 2015 11:54 am

PhillyPhoto wrote:I got my first chipped card a month or so ago and since then I've tried to use EMV readers with very little success. The only place that I've seen them use it is a mom & pop bakery, and they do it behind the counter, it's not something I have the opportunity to do myself. I'm surprised bigger retailers aren't using or activating them. I've tried on terminals that have NFC enabled and nothing happens when I insert my card, I have to use the magnetic stripe still.

What's everyone else's experience when it comes to using the chips in EMV cards?

Pretty much the exact same thing. So far only home Depot has taken my EMV. Wal Mart, Dunkin, Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, Shop-rite, Walgreens, RiteAid, Weis, all have brand new terminals that you can only swipe.

Panera sometimes will do NFC. I tried using the EMV at a Panera and the woman said "On no honey you need to swipe it like this, then took my card and swiped it for me." I was too stunned to say anything.

So in my opinion this whole thing is never going to take off because the "front lines" of the fight against credit card fraud have absolutely no idea what to do. NFC is still the best option until we get chip+pin here.
Chase Freedom $9k~~Chase Sapphire Preferred $6.5k~~Amex Blue Cash Preferred $12.4k~~Citi Double Cash $4.7k

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Re: Active EMV reader propagation?

Postby lobbythis » Wed May 20, 2015 1:01 pm

A handful of stores around me force EMV only, including Wal-Mart.

User avatar
obxfisherman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:32 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Active EMV reader propagation?

Postby obxfisherman » Wed May 20, 2015 4:14 pm

Haven't had much success using EMV readers. I think for a period of time Walmart required me to do it…haven't been back recently to find out if it is still turned on. The majority of the stores here still require the old swipe method. Now NFC is working at some places such as Subway, Harris Teeter, and McDonalds, but ever since I turned in my iPhone I don't use it anymore, since my new device doesn't have the NFC payment capability. Anyway so some EMV reader but for the most part no. I don't think they will start to go live until closer to October of 15? isn't that when the deadline to switch is? I bet the closer we get the more that will turn on….I have seen TONS of places getting upgrades to have the card slot on the bottom for insertion. We will have to see.
Cards Currently In My Wallet(See Avatar)
Chase Marriott Rewards Visa Signature (Daily Purchase): 13.4K
NFCU Visa SignatureCash Rewards: 5K
Sheetz Discount Card 3c Off PerGallon Of Gas Everyday

Total Credit Card Limits Roughly: 61.5K

takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Re: Active EMV reader propagation?

Postby takeshi » Thu May 21, 2015 8:52 am

PhillyPhoto wrote:I'm surprised bigger retailers aren't using or activating them.

They are. Be careful assuming that you experience is indicative of a nationwide trend. The liability shift is approaching and it will motivate many retailers but some will lag.

User avatar
PhillyPhoto
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 3:32 pm
Location: New England

Re: Active EMV reader propagation?

Postby PhillyPhoto » Thu May 21, 2015 9:07 am

I would think if you're rolling out the new readers anyway, you'd enable the chip readers at the same time. There must be more on the backend I'm not aware of.
Main Cards:
Amex: Surpass
Chase: Hyatt

Sock drawer Cards:
Amex: HHonors, MB Plat
Chase: Amazon.com Rewards, Freedom
Citi: Macy's Amex, Simplicity, ThankYou
Citizens Bank: Cash Back Plus World
Discover: it
Elan: Bank Rewards
Synchrony: PayPal Extras

755 Eq (12/16)|748 TU (12/16)|726 Ex (1/17)

tmiw
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:23 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Active EMV reader propagation?

Postby tmiw » Sun May 24, 2015 9:11 pm

PhillyPhoto wrote:I would think if you're rolling out the new readers anyway, you'd enable the chip readers at the same time. There must be more on the backend I'm not aware of.


Chip debit is still broken at the places that do have the slots turned on. Best case scenario is that it gets run as credit and you have to sign for the purchase, but a few places (Walmart for example) simply block insertion of such cards altogether. A lot of places may simply be waiting until October or till that's fixed, whatever comes first.

Vermonster wrote:Pretty much the exact same thing. So far only home Depot has taken my EMV. Wal Mart, Dunkin, Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, Shop-rite, Walgreens, RiteAid, Weis, all have brand new terminals that you can only swipe.

Panera sometimes will do NFC. I tried using the EMV at a Panera and the woman said "On no honey you need to swipe it like this, then took my card and swiped it for me." I was too stunned to say anything.

So in my opinion this whole thing is never going to take off because the "front lines" of the fight against credit card fraud have absolutely no idea what to do. NFC is still the best option until we get chip+pin here.


The Starbucks around here don't even have PIN pads. I don't know if I'd use them when they get here though since their app does give me rewards (plus I can reload with Apple Pay in-app anyway).

For what it's worth there's a map at http://emvacceptedhere.com/ that's keeping track of what places will actually read the chip on the card. It depends on user contributions though so it's not anywhere near exhaustive.

darkguy2
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:24 am
Location: United States

Re: Active EMV reader propagation?

Postby darkguy2 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:13 pm

obxfisherman wrote:Now NFC is working at some places such as Subway, Harris Teeter, and McDonalds, but ever since I turned in my iPhone I don't use it anymore, since my new device doesn't have the NFC payment capability.


What Harris Teeters accept NFC? None of the ones around me do, even the new one by me does not.
Discover IT - $5,700
Chase Freedom - $5,700
Costco Citi - $13,000
Sallie Mae - $4,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6,000
Chase Sapphire Reserve - $19,500
Citi Double Cash - $6,500
Amex BCE - $13,000

FICOs: Discover (777), SallieMae (764), Amex (767), Citi (772)
FAKOs: CK- TU (760), EQ (760)

Brad Bishop
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:38 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Active EMV reader propagation?

Postby Brad Bishop » Mon May 25, 2015 8:05 am

I find it a bit annoying to have the EMV readers there but inactive.

It seems counter productive. People who finally figure out, "Oh, for the chipped cards I need to push them into the slot on the bottom of the reader.. Got it..," and then try to do that elsewhere when they see the same configuration are met with the terminal not responding at all. By not having the EMV readers active, in most places I visit, they end up encouraging people to just say, "Screw it.. I'll just swipe.. That always works."

I really think that for the EMV terminals it should just force the user to use it and should always be active. That way you set the pattern and get the user used to inserting their card. As it is, it's stupid and confusing.

I think Walmart is the only place I go that has it working and active. Everyplace else I insert the card and get no response back from the reader. Even a stupid message acknowledging the card has been inserted but the EMV reader isn't activated year (but soon!) would go a long way.

darkguy2
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:24 am
Location: United States

Re: Active EMV reader propagation?

Postby darkguy2 » Mon May 25, 2015 11:41 am

To process EMV it takes a somewhat complex backend. Not only that, but the bank they use also has to be setup to process them. I am sure most retailers do not want to invest in the backend if the bank they use does not process EMV payments yet.
Discover IT - $5,700
Chase Freedom - $5,700
Costco Citi - $13,000
Sallie Mae - $4,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6,000
Chase Sapphire Reserve - $19,500
Citi Double Cash - $6,500
Amex BCE - $13,000

FICOs: Discover (777), SallieMae (764), Amex (767), Citi (772)
FAKOs: CK- TU (760), EQ (760)



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests