May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
144 posts
User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3962
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:20 pm

Nixon wrote:It's a shame one can't apply for both and get both spend bonuses (Arrival and Plus)

Then roll Arrival+ into the Arrival.

Could I do the following?

1. PC my current Sallie Mae into an Arrival for the trip. No signup bonus here.
2. PC it back to Sallie Mae when I get back.
3. Apply for an Arrival+ (as a new account) after the trip (after I do some gardening) and get the 40000 point bonus.
4. PC the Arrival+ to a no-AF Arrival.

Would that work?
Keeping indefinitely: IHG, SchwabPlat, CSP, Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE, Hyatt
May close or PC: Prestige, Arrival, BrooksBros
AA Platinum converting into Costco

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech
Letting new accounts cool off since May


popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby popamode72 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:24 pm

I shouldn't have been quick with the language when I was writing those posts and I should have kept them in check a lot more than I did when I wrote the post. Where I was coming from was a frustration that had been building up more and more to the point where I felt compelled to get some of it out and I tend to not always phrase things in a way that more people can understand when I have that sort of feeling on me. For the most part, I was trying to make a lot of the points that kdm mentioned above and came across as too abrasive about the way I wrote the posts and I apologize for the way I conducted myself there.

It's very easy for the context of things to be lost in translation when it comes to the Internet and for a lot of things to be interpreted in the wrong way. It is very much possible that he is just that interested in credit cards and talking about them but there's also a point where you gotta assess priorities and making sure that it's not eating up your life and other things that are just as important if not moreso.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby Nixon » Fri May 01, 2015 1:32 pm

kdm31091 wrote:I don't think anyone was intending to bash or attack Nixon. To be honest, I was just trying to offer him my honest advice. There is a difference between "passion" and "obsession". You can be passionate about credit cards (which we all obviously are to an extent) without letting it become an all-consuming obsession.

Statements like "only 108 hours until I can receive quick responses" are kind of indicative of addiction. As if his life support is cut off because he isn't able to be on a board with quick responses. It's just credit cards. Life will go on even if you don't have access to a forum.

Although I might have been harsh my suggestion was an attempt to help him. Go outside. See the birds and the trees and the sun. Enjoy some hobbies. You can have great credit and enjoy the benefits of rewards without letting it run your life. 75 posts a day is pretty excessive IMO. All that while working, maintaining a house, maintaining a marriage? Traveling? I'm not saying Nixon is a liar, but I do think that his priorities need to shift a bit. An internet forum about credit cards should NOT be a life priority. Can it be a hobby? Sure. But I think he's taking it too seriously as far as the amount of time devoted to it. There are other things in life. You won't die saying "I wish I had gotten one more bonus!"... that's my advice. Sorry if it was offensive. He's not the only MF person who I think could stand a break.

Aside from the "spend less time" tangent, I do think, Nixon, you need to cut down the sarcasm and "hidden" references to MS and bureau freezing. Whether one agrees with the concepts or not, they aren't to be discussed on MF and with your references (ice cream, art prints, "may only be a TU pull" with a wink indicating freezing bureaus), you often end up starting "debates" in threads, intentionally or not. The threads then spiral downward and get locked. I am not saying you are always the cause, but it happens frequently enough that you need to consider what you are posting before you post it, IMO.


I see what you're saying. :p


I will admit, when I break into a new hobby I kinda tend to really throw myself into it.
Hell, when I first got into firearms/shooting, I filled up damn near two safes full of all sorts of firearms in a span of less than a year. I cleared out one of those safes just last year when I got my FFL.
Image

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby Nixon » Fri May 01, 2015 1:34 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
Nixon wrote:It's a shame one can't apply for both and get both spend bonuses (Arrival and Plus)

Then roll Arrival+ into the Arrival.

Could I do the following?

1. PC my current Sallie Mae into an Arrival for the trip. No signup bonus here.
2. PC it back to Sallie Mae when I get back.
3. Apply for an Arrival+ (as a new account) after the trip (after I do some gardening) and get the 40000 point bonus.
4. PC the Arrival+ to a no-AF Arrival.

Would that work?


No.

They don't do Co-brand into brand or vice versa PC's

What WOULD work is to apply for the Arrival +, spend through the spend bonus, acquire bonus, keep through the year. Close and roll it into your Sallie Mae, and then apply for an Arrival. Rinse and repeat in cycles if that's your prerogative. ;)
Image

amex007
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:31 pm
Location: NY

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby amex007 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm not sure if it's so easy to PC from an Arrival+ to a regular Arrival. I have read in comments on other site where ppl wanted to PC to regular Arrival and the CSR wouldnt allow them to. They also said that if they wanted to cancel the Arrival+ and then apply separately for the Arrival, they would get denied.

That is only what I read so maybe it might not be as easy as you think. Bc they would kno why you're just PC'ing to the regular. Its nothing confirmed so I wouldnt put too much weight into it myself. But i just know i wouldnt have a problem PC'ing an amex card if i wanted to. Maybe barclaycard is more strict.
Amex Gold NPSL | Amex ED 28500 | Barclaycard Arrival 17500 | Hyatt visa signature 5000
sockdrawer-- GM 4000 | Unionplus 2200
EX 795 EQ 786 TU 790

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby kdm31091 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:40 pm

Nixon wrote:
kdm31091 wrote:I don't think anyone was intending to bash or attack Nixon. To be honest, I was just trying to offer him my honest advice. There is a difference between "passion" and "obsession". You can be passionate about credit cards (which we all obviously are to an extent) without letting it become an all-consuming obsession.

Statements like "only 108 hours until I can receive quick responses" are kind of indicative of addiction. As if his life support is cut off because he isn't able to be on a board with quick responses. It's just credit cards. Life will go on even if you don't have access to a forum.

Although I might have been harsh my suggestion was an attempt to help him. Go outside. See the birds and the trees and the sun. Enjoy some hobbies. You can have great credit and enjoy the benefits of rewards without letting it run your life. 75 posts a day is pretty excessive IMO. All that while working, maintaining a house, maintaining a marriage? Traveling? I'm not saying Nixon is a liar, but I do think that his priorities need to shift a bit. An internet forum about credit cards should NOT be a life priority. Can it be a hobby? Sure. But I think he's taking it too seriously as far as the amount of time devoted to it. There are other things in life. You won't die saying "I wish I had gotten one more bonus!"... that's my advice. Sorry if it was offensive. He's not the only MF person who I think could stand a break.

Aside from the "spend less time" tangent, I do think, Nixon, you need to cut down the sarcasm and "hidden" references to MS and bureau freezing. Whether one agrees with the concepts or not, they aren't to be discussed on MF and with your references (ice cream, art prints, "may only be a TU pull" with a wink indicating freezing bureaus), you often end up starting "debates" in threads, intentionally or not. The threads then spiral downward and get locked. I am not saying you are always the cause, but it happens frequently enough that you need to consider what you are posting before you post it, IMO.


I see what you're saying. :p


I will admit, when I break into a new hobby I kinda tend to really throw myself into it.
Hell, when I first got into firearms/shooting, I filled up damn near two safes full of all sorts of firearms in a span of less than a year. I cleared out one of those safes just last year when I got my FFL.


I appreciate that you read my constructive comments without getting angry. Thank you.

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby Nixon » Fri May 01, 2015 1:53 pm

The sarcasm is a natural thing with me and I can safely say it will not be going away.

The hidden references to MS or B* I have a pretty good idea to stay away from based on a heads up PM I received.

The bureau freezing as I've said is a protective measure and I'll always defend it. (Soon not to matter as much because B* getting much harder to do overall) - I understand they don't like anything that cuts into their business over there (Can't pull a report, Can't pay FICO for a score), However on the flipside I constantly recommend scorewatch when others bash it.
Image

Ghoshida
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:42 am
Location: USA

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby Ghoshida » Fri May 01, 2015 2:07 pm

Nixon wrote:The sarcasm is a natural thing with me and I can safely say it will not be going away.

The hidden references to MS or B* I have a pretty good idea to stay away from based on a heads up PM I received.

The bureau freezing as I've said is a protective measure and I'll always defend it. (Soon not to matter as much because B* getting much harder to do overall) - I understand they don't like anything that cuts into their business over there (Can't pull a report, Can't pay FICO for a score), However on the flipside I constantly recommend scorewatch when others bash it.



(1) w.r.t. sarcasm: good for you.

(2) w.r.t. hidden references: even better.

(3) w.r.t. bureau freezing: they should openly admit that they only admonish freezing before apps to protect FICO's financial interests.

Let's be honest. Banks aren't fools. Cap One, for e.g., would pull the one bureau that's not frozen, do the HP, deny you, say it's because the others were frozen, ask you to unfreeze them, and good chance pull that old bureau once again as a part of the 3-pull shenanigans. Other banks may either deny you or offer a lower SL than otherwise when they're forced to pull a bureau that they would not have otherwise. They know how to save their behind very well. So it's not about the banks.

I have my reports frozen. Helps me garden in peace :)
AMEX BCE | PRG || Barclaycard Sallie Mae || Capital One QuickSilver | Venture || Chase Freedom | Sapphire Preferred || Citi Dividend || Discover It || UFCU Great Rate || US Bank Cash+ #1 | Cash+ #2 | Club Carlson Plat | REI || Total CL $144.2k + PRG NPSL, not counting AU

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby Nixon » Fri May 01, 2015 2:12 pm

Ghoshida wrote:
Nixon wrote:The sarcasm is a natural thing with me and I can safely say it will not be going away.

The hidden references to MS or B* I have a pretty good idea to stay away from based on a heads up PM I received.

The bureau freezing as I've said is a protective measure and I'll always defend it. (Soon not to matter as much because B* getting much harder to do overall) - I understand they don't like anything that cuts into their business over there (Can't pull a report, Can't pay FICO for a score), However on the flipside I constantly recommend scorewatch when others bash it.



(1) w.r.t. sarcasm: good for you.

(2) w.r.t. hidden references: even better.

(3) w.r.t. bureau freezing: they should openly admit that they only admonish freezing before apps to protect FICO's financial interests.

Let's be honest. Banks aren't fools. Cap One, for e.g., would pull the one bureau that's not frozen, do the HP, deny you, say it's because the others were frozen, ask you to unfreeze them, and good chance pull that old bureau once again as a part of the 3-pull shenanigans. Other banks may either deny you or offer a lower SL than otherwise when they're forced to pull a bureau that they would not have otherwise. They know how to save their behind very well. So it's not about the banks.

I have my reports frozen. Helps me garden in peace :)


Capital One will settle for EQ/TU. :)

They have in my experience.
Image

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3962
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:55 pm

I am really happy I asked that. I thought the Arrival+ to regular Arrival PC was a cakewalk. Thanks!

Regular Arrival it is, then - or something similar with no AF.
Keeping indefinitely: IHG, SchwabPlat, CSP, Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE, Hyatt
May close or PC: Prestige, Arrival, BrooksBros
AA Platinum converting into Costco

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech
Letting new accounts cool off since May



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests