May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
144 posts
kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby kdm31091 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:57 am

TheLethargicAge wrote:I'd love to register a new username and try to get banned after 1 post. I wonder what it would take to achieve that?

"What's your favorite way to MS?"
"Wanna know how to access the EX/EQ/TU backdoors?"
"Get your butt-naked pictures of Lexie right here!"


First one won't do it. They only half enforce the MS thing and primarily only enforce it for those against it.

Second one maybe, but again, they're pretty half ass about enforcing these things. Seems certain people get away with more.

The last one yeah. lol


Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby Nixon » Tue May 05, 2015 10:01 am

kdm31091 wrote:
TheLethargicAge wrote:I'd love to register a new username and try to get banned after 1 post. I wonder what it would take to achieve that?

"What's your favorite way to MS?"
"Wanna know how to access the EX/EQ/TU backdoors?"
"Get your butt-naked pictures of Lexie right here!"


First one won't do it. They only half enforce the MS thing and primarily only enforce it for those against it.

Second one maybe, but again, they're pretty half ass about enforcing these things. Seems certain people get away with more.


The last one yeah. lol


Yep. Exactly.
Image

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4440
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:41 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:What views on credit cards have people had that have changed over time?

I've also had a pretty thorough change of opinion about Arrival+. It was "my next card" for a while, even though I never actually applied.

The signup bonus is good, and it has a no-AF cousin (regular Arrival) that is useful for a light traveler (or a good light-use card for a frequent traveler). But for everyday spending, most merchants do take Amex. It seems weird to me that an EDP can just demolish Arrival+ from a rewards perspective, yet the annual fees are so similar. I think Arrival+ merits an AF, but maybe one closer to the $40-$50 range.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

ingramjuan
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:32 pm
Location: EARTH

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby ingramjuan » Wed May 06, 2015 5:06 pm

For me I just applied for and received my new amex after a 1.5 year layoff, and it looks like I will not be applying for any other CL increases and or new credit cards until October. Looking to get the discover card next.
CARDS:
Capital One Platinum (2001) |Capital One QuickSilver World (2002) | Amex Gold Delta (2013) | Best Buy Visa (2013) |Discover It (2015) | Amex Platinum (2015)

Gardening Since: June, 2015

Next Cards:
Personal: Chase Freedom Unlimited
Business: Amex Plum
Store Card: Lowes

Vermonster
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: NJ

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby Vermonster » Wed May 06, 2015 8:07 pm

Well looks like I am in the Garden for a long time, possibly in the dog house. I had a chat with my wife about opening some new cards and before I could explain, I was given the "no." I'll probably start a new thread to give more details and ask for some opinions. I'd hate to take this thread off topic again.

So I'm gardening until August when new student loans hit.
Chase Freedom $9k~~Chase Sapphire Preferred $6.5k~~Amex Blue Cash Preferred $12.4k~~Citi Double Cash $4.7k

Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby Nixon » Wed May 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Vermonster wrote:Well looks like I am in the Garden for a long time, possibly in the dog house. I had a chat with my wife about opening some new cards and before I could explain, I was given the "no." I'll probably start a new thread to give more details and ask for some opinions. I'd hate to take this thread off topic again.

So I'm gardening until August when new student loans hit.


Makes sense. Mine used to do that. She knows better now. Lol.
Image

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4440
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri May 08, 2015 8:02 pm

I had a thought...the usual gardening wisdom is to keep cards open (at least as long as there's no annual fee or headaches with the card)...

For some people, it's hard to get high CLs on new cards because they have a lot of cards with low CLs - so the average CL across all open accounts remains low.

Has anyone ever found a benefit to consolidating credit lines, just for the sake of having a higher average CL?

For example, say someone has an Arrival, a Sallie Mae, an Apple Visa, a Slate, an Amazon Visa, and a Freedom. Each card has a $2k limit, which is low.

But if the CLs were all consolidated onto a Sallie Mae and a Freedom*, and the other four accounts were closed, the average CL on open accounts would be $6k. AAoA would grow more slowly, and AAoOA could improve or deteriorate, but utilization would not change.

*I know there's no guarantee Chase and/or Barclaycard would allow this.*
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

Dylan1982
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Chicago

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby Dylan1982 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:40 am

OK, someone please explain this whole "Gardening" thing to me.......


Thanks
Chase Freedom - $12,500 (2/2013)
GM Card - $7,700 (7/2002)
CitiBank (Thank You Preferred) - $6,400 (6/2012)
CitiBank (Diamond Preferred) - $4,600 (6/2012)
Rogers & Hollands - $3,300 (3/2006)
Target REDcard - $3,000 (11/2014)
BestBuy - $1,600 (9/2003)
Discount Tires - $1,000 (2/2004)
Kohl's - $300 (4/2012)

Vermonster
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: NJ

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby Vermonster » Sat May 09, 2015 8:44 am

Dylan1982 wrote:OK, someone please explain this whole "Gardening" thing to me.......


Thanks



Gardening means not applying for anything that would result in a hard pull and/or a new account. Some people "allow" a HP for a cli, others believe gardening is no HPs at all. We do this to let our accounts age and prevent our credit score from taking hits.
Chase Freedom $9k~~Chase Sapphire Preferred $6.5k~~Amex Blue Cash Preferred $12.4k~~Citi Double Cash $4.7k

jcarte29
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: May 2015 Garden Cult thread please join us

Postby jcarte29 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:18 am

Vermonster wrote:
Dylan1982 wrote:OK, someone please explain this whole "Gardening" thing to me.......


Thanks



Gardening means not applying for anything that would result in a hard pull and/or a new account. Some people "allow" a HP for a cli, others believe gardening is no HPs at all. We do this to let our accounts age and prevent our credit score from taking hits.



At least 3 days in a row I have thrown away 2 citi offers, 3 slate offers and a freedom. Almost 1 month into my goal of 6 months+ in "the garden" :lift:
Portfolio:
CITI Diamond Preferred $10,500 [06-16]
AMEX Platinum (Charge) [11-16]
AMEX EDay $12,000 [11-14]
Lowes Store $15,000 [4-14]
CSP VISA $6,000 [7-14]
GM MC $9,000 [9-14]
AAdvantage Red MC $10,950 [10-14]
Discover IT $4,500 [03-15]
Chase Marriott VISA $5,000 [04-15]
Cap One Quick $2,600[4-10]



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests