April 2015 Garden Cult Thread

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
35 posts
User avatar
otter
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 pm
Location: Grand Forks, ND

April 2015 Garden Cult Thread

Postby otter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:06 pm

Welcome to the CCF Garden Cult. This month, we celebrate our new headquarters, graciously "donated" from the bank accounts of our most brainwa- I mean faithful members.This beautiful property is a cross between Jonestown and the Waco compound and is perfect for keeping our straying members from leaving and for keeping meddling family members and friends hoping to do an intervention out. As always, we give all praise to our goddess, 09, who gives us strength.

What is gardening you may be asking. As the great Racer X says, "Pay attention fellas....ain't got time to explain again." Gardening is staying away from apping. Unless you are doing shopping cart tricks then it is encouraged. Drapping (drunk apping) is also acceptable and FICO scoring automatically knows when you are drunk when you are apping and subtracts an inquiry (instead of adding) from your report everytime you app.

As always, there is a Friday night social. This of course is optional, but keep in mind that people who skip the social tend to disappear. This month's topic is "Never close a card no matter how outrageous the fees and crappy the customer service."

What am I doing in the garden? Well. I was in the garden for six months, but then decided to go on a splurge. I wasn't drapping which means I have sinned and those inquiries count, but I am in the garden for another six months. As always, do what I say... not what I do.
In my Wallet:
  • Amex PRG NPSL[3-14, bd 91]
  • Sallie Mae MC $8000[1-14]
  • Chase Freedom $4700[1-14]
  • Discover It $2750[8-13]
  • BoA UCF Alumni Cash Rewards $5000 [3-15]
Sometimes in my Wallet:
  • GM BuyPower WEMC $5000[9-14]
  • Wells Fargo Propel 365 Amex $7000[4-14]
  • Barclaycard Arrival WEMC $7000[3-14]
  • BoA Better Balance $3000[2-15]
In my sockdrawer: Amex BCE $1000[10-13, bd 91], OCCU Duck $10000 [11-13], The Sportsman's Guide Visa $8000[8-14], Chase Slate $4000 [9-14]Delta Gold Amex $2000 [2-15 bd 91], Diners Club MC $20000 [10-14] Commerce Bank Visa $2000 [3-15] Citi Double Cash $1000 [3-15]
Total CL: $90450


Nixon
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Great Southwest

Postby Nixon » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:22 pm

otter wrote:Welcome to the CCF Garden Cult. This month, we celebrate our new headquarters, graciously "donated" from the bank accounts of our most brainwa- I mean faithful members.This beautiful property is a cross between Jonestown and the Waco compound and is perfect for keeping our straying members from leaving and for keeping meddling family members and friends hoping to do an intervention out. As always, we give all praise to our goddess, 09, who gives us strength.

What is gardening you may be asking. As the great Racer X says, "Pay attention fellas....ain't got time to explain again." Gardening is staying away from apping. Unless you are doing shopping cart tricks then it is encouraged. Drapping (drunk apping) is also acceptable and FICO scoring automatically knows when you are drunk when you are apping and subtracts an inquiry (instead of adding) from your report everytime you app.

As always, there is a Friday night social. This of course is optional, but keep in mind that people who skip the social tend to disappear. This month's topic is "Never close a card no matter how outrageous the fees and crappy the customer service."

What am I doing in the garden? Well. I was in the garden for six months, but then decided to go on a splurge. I wasn't drapping which means I have sinned and those inquiries count, but I am in the garden for another six months. As always, do what I say... not what I do.


:)

So...It seems our friend PB has come back with their 550K in unsecured credit 1yr after BK.
Image

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:35 pm

No plans to app for anything in April (or to take a HP for any reason).

I still want an Arrival/+, but I'll save myself the hassle of having an 8th card until I have definite travel plans for which I'd actually need a Chip+PIN MC.

With Q2 imminent, spending for the big CSP bonus completed, and a mini-bonus on Discover coming up, the cards I'll be using for the next month/quarter will be changing:

1. CSP will have little or no spending - maybe some unexpected taxi or train ticket.
2. Freedom will go from being my groceries and miscellaneous spending card (heavy usage) to my restaurant card (moderate usage).
3. Discover will be my miscellaneous card for the first $200. Maybe Freedom will then pick those transactions back up, or I might try to get another Discover mini-bonus.
4. Sallie Mae will be my regular gas and grocery card again. BCE can pick up any grocery overflow.

PRG will remain my Costco card, and I might get a little BB clothing.

Are other gardeners "reshuffling" cards like I am? Busy working on minimum spend for bonuses? Giving spending to whichever issuers have been nice lately?
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

jcarte29
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Postby jcarte29 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:06 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:No plans to app for anything in April (or to take a HP for any reason).

Are other gardeners "reshuffling" cards like I am? Busy working on minimum spend for bonuses? Giving spending to whichever issuers have been nice lately?


I have to reshuffle. As planned my B/T came over to my Discover, so I'll have to shelf it (Thanks Discover for the super conservative CL). I did get a couple lunches on there to enjoy it early (got a lot of positive reaction to the feel and look of it).

AMEX might need a breather too, and since I freed up line on my CSP to the Discover, it will come back for a little while. I just can't go crazy with spending, I have to get bullish again paying down the 4 cards that have a balance now.

Only CLI to inquire about is this US Air (now American Airlines) card. It's 6 months old this month and deserves consideration for one (and now it's paid off too). It will get used when I go on my trip to Cali next month. (I'll at least have to have it with me for the priority boarding, free checked bag, and US Airways Club passes). Still curious why Chase won't offer an auto CLI to me, it was like pullin teeth talking with them in December (maybe I asked too early?).

My cap one quick will stay in the sock drawer, they think I'm scum apparently.
Portfolio:
CITI Diamond Preferred $7,000 [06-16]
AMEX Platinum (Charge) [11-16]
AMEX EDay $12,000 [11-14]
Lowes Store $15,000 [4-14]
CSP VISA $6,000 [7-14]
GM MC $9,000 [9-14]
AAdvantage Red MC $10,350 [10-14]
Discover IT $4,500 [03-15]
Chase Marriott VISA $5,000 [04-15]
Cap One Quick $2,600[4-10]

JonE
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:55 am
Location: Denver

Postby JonE » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:33 am

Applied in March to the Barclay Rewards MC, denied for utilization purposes after talking to recon (who actually were nice and gave me some good information for the future). This Chase Freedom util has to come down before I can do anything. That's really the only one besides CSP and Amex that I have plans for this year, MAYBE Discover sometime after the Barclay but I'm still undecided. That would give me three cards (that aren't store cards) and would allow me to cancel Wally and maybe Care Credit (although that helps with accounts that would be in collections right now).
Current Cards: Chase Freedom, Discover IT
Future: TBD

popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:40 pm

I don't even know why I even post in the real Garden thread over at MF. These are always way more fun.

Anyway, I can't wait to consolidate that Amazon card over to my Freedom. I really did not think I'd get approved for it not too long ago since I'd been denied for it a few times in the past but nabbing CSP gave me some confidence to try again a month afterwards. I've met the sign up bonus on the CSP and working on the Freedom right now. These two cards now get the most Also got the extra 5k points from adding my mom as an AU on my CSP. It's one of the best CCs I've had the pleasure to use and put a lot of my spend on.

Also, I'm gonna try to stay away from even attempting CU cards from now on. They always end up wasting my time and I think thelethargicage has the right idea on those.

Venture, one of the biggest MF trends I've seen, isn't completely out of the question but I'm gonna give it at least until May or June to try it. I might recon Fidelity Amex soon and see what happens and if that doesn't work, I'll try that card again too in a few more months.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)

TheLethargicAge
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:20 pm
Location: Miami, Cuba

Postby TheLethargicAge » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:04 pm

Couple of weeks ago I set out to get some SP CLIs and am glad to report the following results:

BCP - $12K => $20K
Quicksilver - $10K => $15K
Sallie Mae - ditto, although I took a HP on this one...I know, I deserve a paddlin'.
It - $8.5K => $10K

With all my credit goals accomplished, all I can think of is doing some actual gardening for a change...unless an awesome new card comes out.
Blue Cash Preferred ($24K), Costco TrueEarnings ($8K), Better Balance Rewards ($6K), CashForward ($15K), Sallie Mae Rewards ($10K), Quicksilver ($17K), AARP Rewards ($15K), Freedom ($15K), Double Cash ($16.5K), It ($28.5K), Fidelity Investment Rewards ($18K), Cash+ ($11K)

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:18 pm

jcarte29 wrote:Still curious why Chase won't offer an auto CLI to me, it was like pullin teeth talking with them in December (maybe I asked too early?).


I think you need to adjust your expectations. Chase has a reputation for not giving SP or auto-CLIs nearly as freely as other issuers do. I should have taken the opportunity in January to ask for a CLI on Freedom right after I had opened my CSP so they could use the same pull.

Of course, Chase does give some people auto/SP CLIs, but they can take a year or two...or even longer. People who get them tend to have excellent credit. Most people here seem to expect them on any card with average credit after 3 to 6 months.

You were paying them interest at 15.99%, too. That makes you a profitable customer for them, but it also makes you look a little riskier. I don't think they are as extreme as Amex, though, about preferring PIF customers.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:50 am

JonE wrote:Applied in March to the Barclay Rewards MC, denied for utilization purposes after talking to recon (who actually were nice and gave me some good information for the future). This Chase Freedom util has to come down before I can do anything. That's really the only one besides CSP and Amex that I have plans for this year, MAYBE Discover sometime after the Barclay but I'm still undecided. That would give me three cards (that aren't store cards) and would allow me to cancel Wally and maybe Care Credit (although that helps with accounts that would be in collections right now).


I have most of the cards you're hoping to get, and I use them a lot. I'm not sure if your needs are similar to mine, but they do work well for me.

I'm not sure how reliably you can PC from a Rewards MC to a Sallie Mae. I'd get the other cards first, and then go directly for the SM when you have better odds, skipping over the Rewards MC.

I wouldn't cancel anything until you have already gotten most or all of the cards you want.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

JonE
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:55 am
Location: Denver

Postby JonE » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:03 am

I'm not entirely sure what Discover's criteria for approval is. I know they check EQ and I know they like thin files (my EQ AAoA is 11 months oddly enough) but EQ is down near 610 until my util drops. I have a baddie that's due to drop off all reports 11/15. Maybe I'll wait until then to get the 'spree' rolling.
Current Cards: Chase Freedom, Discover IT
Future: TBD



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests