Out of the garden for a day...

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
11 posts
User avatar
otter
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 pm
Location: Grand Forks, ND

Out of the garden for a day...

Postby otter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:30 pm

Well, yesterday decided to take a stroll outside of the garden after almost six months of exile. I had planned on staying for a year, but decided... WTH, let's apply for a few cards I've applied for in the past and been rejected...

  • BoA Better Balance Rewards I've been rejected for this twice, but this time got $3000. It's an easy $30 a quarter. I have a long, not so amicable relationship with BoA, but I'll take their $120/yr.
  • Delta Gold Amex I've always heard this is the easiest Amex revolver to get, but it seems I always get rejected (thankfully, they've been SP's). I once heard it's easier to get approved if you go with the link from the Delta site and so I tried that this time (and it had the best offer apparently- 30000 miles with $1000 spend in three months). Approved for $2000. Not the best, but better than my BCE. I'll try for 3X in a few months.

So back in the garden for another six months. I'm not sure how much I'll be on here, but I'll certainly lurk from time to time. Just noticed on FICO that Cap One is the new latest rage, so apparently, I need to keep better tabs on the credit world.
In my Wallet:
  • Amex PRG NPSL[3-14, bd 91]
  • Sallie Mae MC $8000[1-14]
  • Chase Freedom $4700[1-14]
  • Discover It $2750[8-13]
  • BoA UCF Alumni Cash Rewards $5000 [3-15]
Sometimes in my Wallet:
  • GM BuyPower WEMC $5000[9-14]
  • Wells Fargo Propel 365 Amex $7000[4-14]
  • Barclaycard Arrival WEMC $7000[3-14]
  • BoA Better Balance $3000[2-15]
In my sockdrawer: Amex BCE $1000[10-13, bd 91], OCCU Duck $10000 [11-13], The Sportsman's Guide Visa $8000[8-14], Chase Slate $4000 [9-14]Delta Gold Amex $2000 [2-15 bd 91], Diners Club MC $20000 [10-14] Commerce Bank Visa $2000 [3-15] Citi Double Cash $1000 [3-15]
Total CL: $90450


Fastphilly
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:23 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby Fastphilly » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:11 pm

Cap One is the new latest rage? That's news to me. CO is the most bashed issuer on that forum from what I've seen. Congrats on your latest CC scores!
In Wallet:
SM Credit Union Platinum Visa 15K (opened 2004)
Citi Double Cash MasterCard 6.6K (opened 2015)
Chase Freedom Visa 5K (2009) (morphed from Providian/Wa Mu)

User avatar
otter
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 pm
Location: Grand Forks, ND

Postby otter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:09 pm

Fastphilly wrote:Cap One is the new latest rage? That's news to me. CO is the most bashed issuer on that forum from what I've seen. Congrats on your latest CC scores!


Apparently, Cap One is giving out ridiculously high CL's for the Venture.
In my Wallet:
  • Amex PRG NPSL[3-14, bd 91]
  • Sallie Mae MC $8000[1-14]
  • Chase Freedom $4700[1-14]
  • Discover It $2750[8-13]
  • BoA UCF Alumni Cash Rewards $5000 [3-15]
Sometimes in my Wallet:
  • GM BuyPower WEMC $5000[9-14]
  • Wells Fargo Propel 365 Amex $7000[4-14]
  • Barclaycard Arrival WEMC $7000[3-14]
  • BoA Better Balance $3000[2-15]
In my sockdrawer: Amex BCE $1000[10-13, bd 91], OCCU Duck $10000 [11-13], The Sportsman's Guide Visa $8000[8-14], Chase Slate $4000 [9-14]Delta Gold Amex $2000 [2-15 bd 91], Diners Club MC $20000 [10-14] Commerce Bank Visa $2000 [3-15] Citi Double Cash $1000 [3-15]
Total CL: $90450

popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:15 pm

otter wrote:Apparently, Cap One is giving out ridiculously high CL's for the Venture.


Yup. I don't think that gravy train is going anytime soon like other MF trends.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:14 pm

The BofA card is interesting - it's kind of like it offsets an annual fee on something else.

I'll look into it, but it would still be another account to monitor. If I had to use the card every month to get the bonus, I don't think it would be worth the hassle. But if periods of inactivity are okay, then an extra $120/yr would be welcome.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
otter
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 pm
Location: Grand Forks, ND

Postby otter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:07 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:The BofA card is interesting - it's kind of like it offsets an annual fee on something else.

I'll look into it, but it would still be another account to monitor. If I had to use the card every month to get the bonus, I don't think it would be worth the hassle. But if periods of inactivity are okay, then an extra $120/yr would be welcome.


I plan on using it for some small recurring payments and then setting it up so that I make an automatic payment greater than the minimum payment so I get the $25 + $5 for having a checking account with them. In effect, BoA will be paying for me to use the card (the recurring payments in question are less than $10/month). My financial life with BoA is actually pretty limited- I have a fee free checking account with them (the type of account is no longer offered and I was grandfathered in), but very seldom use it. I just keep it open in case I ever move somewhere with a BoA footprint.

As for Delta, they impressed me this past week. I traveled to Texas for business and on the way back my first plane was delayed 45 minutes (due to weather at the previous airport the plane was at). The time between when the plane landed at MSP and my second plane left was less than 5 minutes. I barely made it to the second flight(no thanks to MSP airport for being the biggest clusterf___ at the gates) and resigned myself to having to call Delta the next the day to arrange getting my checked bag. Upon landing, I decided to check to see if my bag made it with me to Fargo and was surprised it did. Oh, and they bumped me up to first class on both flights, too... so I think I might have to fly Delta when I can now (which makes sense where I am anyway). Plus the fact that I have another backdated Amex more than offsets the inquiry.
In my Wallet:
  • Amex PRG NPSL[3-14, bd 91]
  • Sallie Mae MC $8000[1-14]
  • Chase Freedom $4700[1-14]
  • Discover It $2750[8-13]
  • BoA UCF Alumni Cash Rewards $5000 [3-15]
Sometimes in my Wallet:
  • GM BuyPower WEMC $5000[9-14]
  • Wells Fargo Propel 365 Amex $7000[4-14]
  • Barclaycard Arrival WEMC $7000[3-14]
  • BoA Better Balance $3000[2-15]
In my sockdrawer: Amex BCE $1000[10-13, bd 91], OCCU Duck $10000 [11-13], The Sportsman's Guide Visa $8000[8-14], Chase Slate $4000 [9-14]Delta Gold Amex $2000 [2-15 bd 91], Diners Club MC $20000 [10-14] Commerce Bank Visa $2000 [3-15] Citi Double Cash $1000 [3-15]
Total CL: $90450

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:29 pm

Do you know why/how you got the bump to first class?
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
otter
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 pm
Location: Grand Forks, ND

Postby otter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:08 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Do you know why/how you got the bump to first class?


Don't know exactly how... I think they didn't want to deal with putting me up in Minneapolis for the night, so getting me in first class increased my odds of getting off the plane quicker.
In my Wallet:
  • Amex PRG NPSL[3-14, bd 91]
  • Sallie Mae MC $8000[1-14]
  • Chase Freedom $4700[1-14]
  • Discover It $2750[8-13]
  • BoA UCF Alumni Cash Rewards $5000 [3-15]
Sometimes in my Wallet:
  • GM BuyPower WEMC $5000[9-14]
  • Wells Fargo Propel 365 Amex $7000[4-14]
  • Barclaycard Arrival WEMC $7000[3-14]
  • BoA Better Balance $3000[2-15]
In my sockdrawer: Amex BCE $1000[10-13, bd 91], OCCU Duck $10000 [11-13], The Sportsman's Guide Visa $8000[8-14], Chase Slate $4000 [9-14]Delta Gold Amex $2000 [2-15 bd 91], Diners Club MC $20000 [10-14] Commerce Bank Visa $2000 [3-15] Citi Double Cash $1000 [3-15]
Total CL: $90450

LessIsMore
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:59 pm
Location: Vader, WA

Postby LessIsMore » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:18 pm

popamode72 wrote:Yup. I don't think that gravy train is going anytime soon like other MF trends.


I recently acquired a CapOne Platinum MasterCard. Didn't get an exceptionally high CL ($3k). But they're currently offering a $0 balance transfer option with 0% interest until November 1st. Darn, hehe, if I only had balances to transfer.
"People with a clever plan can assume the role of the mighty."
Paul Kantner

popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:22 pm

otter wrote:I plan on using it for some small recurring payments and then setting it up so that I make an automatic payment greater than the minimum payment so I get the $25 + $5 for having a checking account with them. In effect, BoA will be paying for me to use the card (the recurring payments in question are less than $10/month). My financial life with BoA is actually pretty limited- I have a fee free checking account with them (the type of account is no longer offered and I was grandfathered in), but very seldom use it. I just keep it open in case I ever move somewhere with a BoA footprint.

As for Delta, they impressed me this past week. I traveled to Texas for business and on the way back my first plane was delayed 45 minutes (due to weather at the previous airport the plane was at). The time between when the plane landed at MSP and my second plane left was less than 5 minutes. I barely made it to the second flight(no thanks to MSP airport for being the biggest clusterf___ at the gates) and resigned myself to having to call Delta the next the day to arrange getting my checked bag. Upon landing, I decided to check to see if my bag made it with me to Fargo and was surprised it did. Oh, and they bumped me up to first class on both flights, too... so I think I might have to fly Delta when I can now (which makes sense where I am anyway). Plus the fact that I have another backdated Amex more than offsets the inquiry.


It makes me wish I had PCed my BoA Cash Rewards card to that immediately when I got in the mail months back before BoA stopped allowing people to change their cards to it. Also I wanted to get that $100 from the sign up bonus.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests