Pre-qualified credit checker on card company sites

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
73 posts
Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:17 pm

p51 wrote:Woo hoo!!! Paid off my cc balance & my score jumped up 27 points on myFico I'm now sitting at 684. For me, this is huge. Finally seeing progress!!!!!!! Thinking of holding off on AMEX & maybe going for chase freedom to start


Good work. Depending on your income you're probably good for an amex charge card, saying this very conditionally without knowing anything else about your history.

Freedom may not be a bad move either. However, again depending on other factors be wary of the inquiries dragging your score back down. You may want to go for an amex charge card first if you don't mind the annual fee since it's close to the end of the year, and you can get in with a member since date of 2014 if you get an Amex before the end of the year.

700 and above isn't too far for you now. Just keep your ducks in a row and enjoy actually being somewhat confident when you apply.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3747
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:22 pm

I'd also go for the Amex Green before the Freedom. You now have good odds of getting either one (or even both).

It's always good to see a FICO hike!
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Postby Vattené » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:25 pm

My wife applied for a Freedom early this year and got denied. Her history over the last six years is clean, but things weren't as in order before we met & she had some baddies which should be falling off at the end of this year. I wonder if she was denied just because of the fact that she had baddies on her profile at all (this was before I knew you could call in for recon). They were very old and the only thing I could imagine keeping her from approval. I couldn't tell you her FICO for comparison, though.

Not trying to discourage you from applying, just offering my experience as a data point for your consideration. YMMV of course, and it doesn't mean you won't get approved. I would guess your chances are as good for an Amex Green if that's what you're really wanting.

Good luck! Both on this application and on continued credit progress!
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 809 (11/16) | TU - 803 (11/16)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:04 pm

Vattené wrote:My wife applied for a Freedom early this year and got denied. Her history over the last six years is clean, but things weren't as in order before we met & she had some baddies which should be falling off at the end of this year. I wonder if she was denied just because of the fact that she had baddies on her profile at all (this was before I knew you could call in for recon). They were very old and the only thing I could imagine keeping her from approval. I couldn't tell you her FICO for comparison, though.

Not trying to discourage you from applying, just offering my experience as a data point for your consideration. YMMV of course, and it doesn't mean you won't get approved. I would guess your chances are as good for an Amex Green if that's what you're really wanting.

Good luck! Both on this application and on continued credit progress!


I will also add that although I was approved for a freedom when I got it, I got a much smaller limit than my other cards. Chase can be sensitive to a lot of things it seems. And they're pretty bad about CLI's so expect to be stuck with what you get unless you decide to take another HP. Get the amex first. Backdating can mean a lot. Even if you decide in a year when the AF comes up that you want to cancel, you'll always have that 2014 date locked in. Ten years from now you decide to get another amex and boom, 10 year old account on your report. Also if in six months you decide you really want one of their revolvers and get declined, it's only a soft pull so no harm no foul.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

p51
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:11 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Postby p51 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:28 am

Battery111 wrote:Good work. Depending on your income you're probably good for an amex charge card, saying this very conditionally without knowing anything else about your history.

Freedom may not be a bad move either. However, again depending on other factors be wary of the inquiries dragging your score back down. You may want to go for an amex charge card first if you don't mind the annual fee since it's close to the end of the year, and you can get in with a member since date of 2014 if you get an Amex before the end of the year.

700 and above isn't too far for you now. Just keep your ducks in a row and enjoy actually being somewhat confident when you apply.


Make 50k annually. Debt to income ratio is very good. 0 inquiries in the last couple of years. I have one repossession from Nov 2007 & some 90 day late's from 2005-06. Don't know if that would be cause for denial.
Capital One secured opened May 2012 -- $1401 ($1200 of my own money to increase limit) I will be closing this as soon as I qualify for an AMEX Simply Cash business card (hopefully this summer).
Amex PRG opened Nov 2014 -- No preset spending limit
Chase Freedom Nov 2014 -- $4000
Bank of America Cash Rewards Nov 2014 -- $2500

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:20 am

p51 wrote:Make 50k annually. Debt to income ratio is very good. 0 inquiries in the last couple of years. I have one repossession from Nov 2007 & some 90 day late's from 2005-06. Don't know if that would be cause for denial.


The lates should be long gone by now. The repo from 2007 will "probably" fall off this month. So, you may want to wait until December to apply, just to be safe. It's quite old but a repo is just one of those really bad baddies.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

p51
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:11 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Postby p51 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:38 am

Battery111 wrote:The lates should be long gone by now. The repo from 2007 will "probably" fall off this month. So, you may want to wait until December to apply, just to be safe. It's quite old but a repo is just one of those really bad baddies.


Good advice! I'm definitely excited to even be realistically considering applying. It's been a long road. I probably will wait until December to apply. Only a few days away. I don't have enough revolving credit though. Just one Capital One secured card (May 2012). Definitely need a couple more cards in my holster.

I LOVE this site & the community!!!
Capital One secured opened May 2012 -- $1401 ($1200 of my own money to increase limit) I will be closing this as soon as I qualify for an AMEX Simply Cash business card (hopefully this summer).
Amex PRG opened Nov 2014 -- No preset spending limit
Chase Freedom Nov 2014 -- $4000
Bank of America Cash Rewards Nov 2014 -- $2500

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:45 am

p51 wrote:Good advice! I'm definitely excited to even be realistically considering applying. It's been a long road. I probably will wait until December to apply. Only a few days away. I don't have enough revolving credit though. Just one Capital One secured card (May 2012). Definitely need a couple more cards in my holster.

I LOVE this site & the community!!!


Double check your report before you apply to ensure the repo is gone. Once it falls off your score should increase some more as well. You may have said elsewhere, but is there any reason you're looking to get the green vs the prg? Is it an annual fee issue or just trying to maximize approval chances?
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

p51
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:11 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Postby p51 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:05 am

Battery111 wrote:Double check your report before you apply to ensure the repo is gone. Once it falls off your score should increase some more as well. You may have said elsewhere, but is there any reason you're looking to get the green vs the prg? Is it an annual fee issue or just trying to maximize approval chances?

I'd actually prefer the PRG, but I've read that the green & charge cards are easier to get than revolvers. I'm trying to maximize approval chances. I just checked my Experian score & it is a 690. Last negative info reported was 3.2 years ago.
Capital One secured opened May 2012 -- $1401 ($1200 of my own money to increase limit) I will be closing this as soon as I qualify for an AMEX Simply Cash business card (hopefully this summer).
Amex PRG opened Nov 2014 -- No preset spending limit
Chase Freedom Nov 2014 -- $4000
Bank of America Cash Rewards Nov 2014 -- $2500

User avatar
PlyrStar93
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:06 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby PlyrStar93 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:39 am

p51 wrote:I'd actually prefer the PRG, but I've read that the green & charge cards are easier to get than revolvers.

PRG is a charge card, not a revolver. Amex Green, Gold and Platinum are charge cards as well.
Citi Forward Visa $5000 10/2012 | American Express Blue Cash Everyday $8000 2/2014 | Discover it $7000 5/2014
Chase Freedom Visa Signature $7000 6/2014 | Citi ThankYou Premier Visa Signature $5000 1/2015
All EMV.



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest