Apped for the AmEx Platinum

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
16 posts
User avatar
onion
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby onion » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:54 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:If someone just wants 2 or 3 cards and can make good use of MR points, then the EDP could be great. I don't have enough total transactions where I can't get a better deal elsewhere to consistently make 30 swipes each month on an EDP to get the 50% bonus.


That's why I just got the regular Everyday card. I only put about 20-25 swipes a month on the Everyday. I pretty much just use to get 1.2x MR points on purchases where I'd have gotten 1% back with my other cards. I'll also use it for 2.4x MR points when my BCE statement is about to hit and I don't want it to report a balance, or something of the sort.
FICO TU - 728 - 8/14
FICO EX - 716 - 7/14
FICO EQ - 740 - 7/14

Bank of America Cash Rewards - $2,400
Best Buy - $3,000
American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $8,000
American Express Everyday - $10,000
Discover It Chrome - $500 (AU on fiancée's card, helping her build credit)
American Express Platinum - NPSL
Barclaycard Arrival+ - $3,000
Capital One Yamacard - $11,000


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3753
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:28 pm

onion wrote:That's why I just got the regular Everyday card. I only put about 20-25 swipes a month on the Everyday. I pretty much just use to get 1.2x MR points on purchases where I'd have gotten 1% back with my other cards. I'll also use it for 2.4x MR points when my BCE statement is about to hit and I don't want it to report a balance, or something of the sort.


I suppose that can be a good strategy if you can use the MR points. I'd just rather have $1 than 120 MR points.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
onion
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby onion » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:34 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I suppose that can be a good strategy if you can use the MR points. I'd just rather have $1 than 120 MR points.


I fly about 10 times a year, so they'd be put to good use. Getting $1 is easier, but its possible to get slightly better value out of MR points. Definitely depends on the cardholder though.
FICO TU - 728 - 8/14

FICO EX - 716 - 7/14

FICO EQ - 740 - 7/14



Bank of America Cash Rewards - $2,400

Best Buy - $3,000

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $8,000

American Express Everyday - $10,000

Discover It Chrome - $500 (AU on fiancée's card, helping her build credit)

American Express Platinum - NPSL

Barclaycard Arrival+ - $3,000

Capital One Yamacard - $11,000

User avatar
onion
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby onion » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:54 am

I called up AmEx just now to see how my application was looking. They told me they gave me a pending decision due to the two approvals a bit over a month ago and that their system automatically flags these applications for manual review. I confirmed that I was the one to apply and that I did indeed want the Platinum card. The rep then said to give them 3-5 days to look over the application and I would get a response by then.
FICO TU - 728 - 8/14

FICO EX - 716 - 7/14

FICO EQ - 740 - 7/14



Bank of America Cash Rewards - $2,400

Best Buy - $3,000

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $8,000

American Express Everyday - $10,000

Discover It Chrome - $500 (AU on fiancée's card, helping her build credit)

American Express Platinum - NPSL

Barclaycard Arrival+ - $3,000

Capital One Yamacard - $11,000

Darrvao777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 am
Location: NYC

Postby Darrvao777 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:30 am

onion wrote:I called up AmEx just now to see how my application was looking. They told me they gave me a pending decision due to the two approvals a bit over a month ago and that their system automatically flags these applications for manual review. I confirmed that I was the one to apply and that I did indeed want the Platinum card. The rep then said to give them 3-5 days to look over the application and I would get a response by then.


nice! gotta look over those benefits so you have a plan of attack when the card arrives :-)
- Amex Platinum (primary)
- Citi Double Cash (backup)
- Chase Sapphire Reserve (just to get the bonus, closing in 2017)

User avatar
onion
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby onion » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:47 am

Darrvao777 wrote:nice! gotta look over those benefits so you have a plan of attack when the card arrives :-)


I've been drooling over the Platinum for a while now. Reading the benefits over and over is what finally pushed me over the edge. I checked to see if the card will get me into the lounges at the airports I fly in and out of most and I was pleased to see that it will! If I get approved, I'll be able to go enjoy the centurion lounge in Dallas, really looking forward to that.
FICO TU - 728 - 8/14

FICO EX - 716 - 7/14

FICO EQ - 740 - 7/14



Bank of America Cash Rewards - $2,400

Best Buy - $3,000

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $8,000

American Express Everyday - $10,000

Discover It Chrome - $500 (AU on fiancée's card, helping her build credit)

American Express Platinum - NPSL

Barclaycard Arrival+ - $3,000

Capital One Yamacard - $11,000



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests