Does such an international travel card exist?

For just about anything you want to get off your chest about credit cards.
18 posts
User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3755
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Does such an international travel card exist?

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:46 pm

I was thinking about what I would want in an ideal international travel card, but haven't found one that would fit the requirements. Can others think of any that qualify?

1. Use a chip, not just a magnetic stripe - preferably a card that can function as either Chip+PIN or Chip+Signature, depending on the local system.
2. No annual fee - ever - not just waived for the first year.
3. No foreign transaction fee.
4. Less important for me, but some basic - not necessarily generous - rewards program.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when


User avatar
PlyrStar93
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:06 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby PlyrStar93 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:54 pm

The BofA Travel Rewards card satisfies all your requirements.
Citi Forward Visa $5000 10/2012 | American Express Blue Cash Everyday $8000 2/2014 | Discover it $7000 5/2014
Chase Freedom Visa Signature $7000 6/2014 | Citi ThankYou Premier Visa Signature $5000 1/2015
All EMV.

haikuginger
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:09 am
Location: Norman, OK

Postby haikuginger » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:09 pm

Yep, it's the BoA Travel Rewards card you want. The rewards are crap, but that's not why you get it.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3755
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:15 pm

Good to know, thanks!
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

supercoolman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:48 am
Location: South Bay Area

Postby supercoolman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:22 am

non-US CC
Canada or Mexico or Europe

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3755
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:56 am

supercoolman wrote:non-US CC
Canada or Mexico or Europe


In the partly academic nature of my question, I'd like a card that would work in any of those places. I know different payment networks lead in different countries - like MC in Germany and Discover affiliate JCB in Japan. Also, I know a lot of countries use cash far more than credit cards.

For practical purposes, I am accustomed to carrying cash when in Canada, and for a small pricing adjustment many merchants will accept US Dollars, so mainly I would like a card that would work in most of Western Europe. As far as I know, France uses C+Sig while the UK and Germany uses C+PIN. Can't one card be capable of using either method, though, depending on what the card terminal is equipped for or the merchant prefers?
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

supercoolman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:48 am
Location: South Bay Area

Postby supercoolman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:01 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:In the partly academic nature of my question, I'd like a card that would work in any of those places. I know different payment networks lead in different countries - like MC in Germany and Discover affiliate JCB in Japan. Also, I know a lot of countries use cash far more than credit cards.

For practical purposes, I am accustomed to carrying cash when in Canada, and for a small pricing adjustment many merchants will accept US Dollars, so mainly I would like a card that would work in most of Western Europe. As far as I know, France uses C+Sig while the UK and Germany uses C+PIN. Can't one card be capable of using either method, though, depending on what the card terminal is equipped for or the merchant prefers?



I have a VISA CC from CIBC. I have used it for sig or pin depending on the terminal being used, so I'm not sure about what people said only pin or only sig. to me, if a CC has mag stripe and pin, then it should be capable of both for different terminals.

User avatar
kcm7
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:05 pm
Location: TX

Postby kcm7 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:56 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the BofA Travel Rewards card does NOT function as a chip and PIN.

From their website:

Chip & PIN is a very similar technology, except that you use a PIN to complete a purchase instead of a signature. Both chip & PIN and chip & signature offer enhanced security against counterfeiting compared to traditional magnetic stripe-only cards. Bank of America does not currently offer chip & PIN technology.


Probably not the end of the world. My friend just used her non-PIN, chip-and-signature card at unmanned kiosks around Europe. My understanding is that chip-and-signature won't work on all of those and that it depends on the local systems, but she did OK.

Only card I know of that also functions as chip-and-PIN is the Arrival+ card from Barclays, but that's got an annual fee (that's the reason I don't have it as well).
Cards:

-Capital One Quicksilver
-Barclaycard Arrival (no AF)
- US Bank (no rewards)
-IHG

haikuginger
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:09 am
Location: Norman, OK

Postby haikuginger » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:23 am

kcm7 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but the BofA Travel Rewards card does NOT function as a chip and PIN.

You're not wrong.

kcm7 wrote:Probably not the end of the world. My friend just used her non-PIN, chip-and-signature card at unmanned kiosks around Europe. My understanding is that chip-and-signature won't work on all of those and that it depends on the local systems, but she did OK.

As long as both the terminal and the card agree to authenticate without either a signature or a PIN, it's a nonissue. And most will.

kcm7 wrote:Only card I know of that also functions as chip-and-PIN is the Arrival+ card from Barclays, but that's got an annual fee (that's the reason I don't have it as well).

Yep. That's the only US-based card that has it right now.

takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Postby takeshi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:55 am

(nm -- hit reply a little too fast)



Return to “General Credit Card Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests