Is a Discover card hard to get?

All about Discover & Diners Club – talk about their credit card deals such as the More, Miles, Escape, and others.
14 posts
User avatar
Mogul of Pineapples
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Smogland

Postby Mogul of Pineapples » Mon May 02, 2011 3:30 pm

It really depends on the card. Overall I would say Discover is a bit harder and the only reason I say that is because the entry level AmEx charge cards might be easier to get than a Discover More, Miles or Escape.

The Blue used to be an easy one to get approved for but AmEx got burned pretty bad with those accounts during the recession, which isn't surprising since they were approving riskier applicants. Since then it almost seems as if Amex has went overboard in the opposite direction by making the requirements too stringent. There have been quite a few people post on here over the last year that have been denied, who like you, had a good history.
Disclosure: I am a moderator/paid staff of this site, which does have advertising relationships with some credit cards that are discussed and linked to. Regardless, anything I say is my honest opinion.

Current Cards:
American Express: Blue Cash, Simply Cash Bank of America: WorldPoints Platinum Plus Chase: Amazon, British Airways, Cash Plus Rewards, Freedom, Ink Cash Citi: Thank You Premier, Dividend Platinum Select Discover: More
Primary Everyday Card: American Express Blue Cash
Primary Travel Card: Chase Sapphire Preferred


ModdedMach
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 2:39 am
Location: United States

Postby ModdedMach » Thu May 17, 2012 3:50 pm

I applied for an Amex Zync (mostly because im young and have decent credit) i was instantly denied, Discover approved me for the More card with a 6500 dollar limit.

Maybe it was just me, but it seems like Amex is quite picky these days...idk.

FutureBillionaire
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Down South

Postby FutureBillionaire » Fri May 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Discover is pretty stringent. I have very low limits on my discover cards compared to the limits I have on my Bank of America and other cards.
Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape

DavidNY
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:28 pm
Location: New York

Postby DavidNY » Fri May 18, 2012 5:26 pm

FutureBillionaire wrote:Discover is pretty stringent. I have very low limits on my discover cards compared to the limits I have on my Bank of America and other cards.


True. Not hard to get but lower limits than my other issuers.

agp
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 pm
Location: US&A

Postby agp » Fri May 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Discover and CU cards are most people's first cards so they are not hard to get. But their starting CL is often low.

Main Card: Amex Platinum
For gas: Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards
For travel & dining: Chase Sapphire Preferred


ModdedMach
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 2:39 am
Location: United States

Postby ModdedMach » Fri May 18, 2012 10:59 pm

agp wrote:Discover and CU cards are most people's first cards so they are not hard to get. But their starting CL is often low.


Would you call 6500 a low first card starting CL? Everyone i talk to says thats pretty substantial for a first card.

I know its nothing impressive by any means, when i grew up my dad had a combined CL of hundreds of thousands and killer credit score, but i think for 1 card and my very first at that 6500 isnt too bad lol

agp
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 pm
Location: US&A

Postby agp » Thu May 24, 2012 10:31 pm

ModdedMach wrote:Would you call 6500 a low first card starting CL? Everyone i talk to says thats pretty substantial for a first card.

I know its nothing impressive by any means, when i grew up my dad had a combined CL of hundreds of thousands and killer credit score, but i think for 1 card and my very first at that 6500 isnt too bad lol


6500 is not low for a first card. Notice how I said "often low" and not "always low," there are exceptions to everything. My mom's first Discover had a CL $500 I believe. Maybe it was $1000. And most of my friends' Discovers are also in the low thousands.

Main Card: Amex Platinum
For gas: Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards
For travel & dining: Chase Sapphire Preferred

altayar88
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 3:34 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby altayar88 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:15 pm

My experience with Discover isn't pleasant. This month was my 3rd month applying and every time I get a denial. They don't want my business and so I don't want theirs!


MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4738
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:44 pm

altayar88 wrote:My experience with Discover isn't pleasant. This month was my 3rd month applying and every time I get a denial. They don't want my business and so I don't want theirs!


I understand your frustration. Citi has done the same thing to me. Go figure I got Amex and Discover but Citi just doesn't like me. You can't win em all.

If you call them they should be able to explain what exactly they don't like and give you ideas on how you might get into the club. Have you called them to recon your app?


altayar88
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 3:34 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby altayar88 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:47 pm

MemberSince99 wrote:I understand your frustration. Citi has done the same thing to me. Go figure I got Amex and Discover but Citi just doesn't like me. You can't win em all.

If you call them they should be able to explain what exactly they don't like and give you ideas on how you might get into the club. Have you called them to recon your app?


Oh yeah I did recon. They weren't really able to provide solid reasons for the denial. The mentioned the late payments over the phone but they forgot to mention it in the denial letter.

Got approved for AMEX and Chase. Those are prime enough for me. Forget about Discover!


Return to “Discover, Diners Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests