Discover Debit Card does anyone have one?

All about Discover & Diners Club - talk about their credit card deals such as the More, Miles, Escape, and others.
28 posts
User avatar
alsteig
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Postby alsteig » Mon May 31, 2010 11:58 pm

First of all you rarely if ever need to use a debit card in day to day transactions. A cc is far superior and with online banking and instant transfers their is no need to carry a debit. The legislation that is pending will fail as the lobbyists for the cc companies and lower rates given to big business to run cc, will out number the cry baby stores that take cc. In California it is against state law to charge a surcharge for using a card, due to the bait and switch that can occur. If you are a company that doesn't like to pay 2-4% to run cc then don't accept them or get creative and form your own agreement, IE: with Amex "Costco" Also cash discount is widely recognized way around it as pointed out by previous posters. To respond to debit card guru, Vermont state law may allow a merchant to require a minimum to use the card, but Visa merchant agreement still prohibits it, as it minimizes the convenience of using a card.


debitcard guru
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Indiana

Postby debitcard guru » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:16 am

alsteig wrote:First of all you rarely if ever need to use a debit card in day to day transactions. A cc is far superior and with online banking and instant transfers their is no need to carry a debit. The legislation that is pending will fail as the lobbyists for the cc companies and lower rates given to big business to run cc, will out number the cry baby stores that take cc. In California it is against state law to charge a surcharge for using a card, due to the bait and switch that can occur. If you are a company that doesn't like to pay 2-4% to run cc then don't accept them or get creative and form your own agreement, IE: with Amex "Costco" Also cash discount is widely recognized way around it as pointed out by previous posters. To respond to debit card guru, Vermont state law may allow a merchant to require a minimum to use the card, but Visa merchant agreement still prohibits it, as it minimizes the convenience of using a card.



On the Vermont issue, State law supersedes contracts or agreements. You couldn't file a complaint if the merchant required a minimum payment from $10.00 & under to use a Visa/Mastercard credit or debit card. If the merchant required a minimum of $10.01 or higher than you could file a complaint with Visa/Mastercard. You need to read the law, it says's the merchant can't be fined for requiring a minimum payment from $10.00 & under. $10.01 and higher they could be fined.

State laws always supersedes contracts or agreements. Most contract say
If a part become unenforceable do to law the remainder on the contract shall remain enforced


I use debit card & cash. I don't have a credit card anymore.

User avatar
alsteig
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Postby alsteig » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:36 pm

In all cases State law supercedes any contract law, you are correct. I have not read the Vermont law on this issue but am assured by Visa and MC that any merchant in the U.S. that requires a minimum purchase is in violation of their merchant agreement. It may not be against Vermont state law to charge the $10.00 dollars but still a violation of a written agreement so yes it is enforceable my Vis and MC. Agreed a consumer is not going to lodge a complaint with the State of Vermont against this violation. Please do call Visa and complain if this happens many times they will revoke merchant rights and or suspend.

debitcard guru
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Indiana

Postby debitcard guru » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:10 pm

alsteig wrote:In all cases State law supercedes any contract law, you are correct. I have not read the Vermont law on this issue but am assured by Visa and MC that any merchant in the U.S. that requires a minimum purchase is in violation of their merchant agreement. It may not be against Vermont state law to charge the $10.00 dollars but still a violation of a written agreement so yes it is enforceable my Vis and MC. Agreed a consumer is not going to lodge a complaint with the State of Vermont against this violation. Please do call Visa and complain if this happens many times they will revoke merchant rights and or suspend.


You don't report it to the State of Vermont. You would report it to Mastercard or Visa. As you said it is still a violation of MC & Visa agreement for the rest of the U.S. In Vermont Visa & Mastercard can not enforce that part of the contract/agreement for merchants who want to have a minimum purchase of $10.00 or under, do to Vermont's new law. Visa & MC Customer service may not be aware of the new Vermont law yet. However, Visa & MC can still enforce it for merchants that want to have a minimum payment of $10.01 & up.

debitcard guru
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Indiana

Postby debitcard guru » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:26 pm

Couldn't edit the last posting. I have attached a zip with a pdf file that shows the law as passed. What is marked out, didn't not pass or was changed later.
Last edited by debitcard guru on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
alsteig
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Postby alsteig » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:16 pm

I stand corrected. Credit Card Guru you are 100% correct sorry for doubting.

webguy
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: Florida

I have a Discover Debit Card

Postby webguy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Arco Gas Stations and their mini-markets AM/PM have them. The work just like your regular debit card, but you get the 3% Discover rebates.


debitcard guru wrote:This is one thing I dont know much about is the Discover Debit card. I do know a lot about other types off debit cards.

I do know this much
Discover debit card can be used as pin or signature transaction.
You can get cash back with pin using the pulse network
What is usually you can at certain merchants you can get cash back using a signature transaction on the discover card network.

All methods coming out of your checking account.

Why has this card not become popular or gain more markets?

debitcard guru
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Indiana

Postby debitcard guru » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:15 pm

webguy wrote:Arco Gas Stations and their mini-markets AM/PM have them. The work just like your regular debit card, but you get the 3% Discover rebates.


I think that the discover giftcard. Anyways since Discover know owns Pulse atm network. I think they might of put that card on hold.



Return to “Discover, Diners Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests