Check Your Cashback

All about Discover & Diners Club - talk about their credit card deals such as the More, Miles, Escape, and others.
9 posts
swipe_masta
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: USA

Check Your Cashback

Postby swipe_masta » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:11 pm

We all know Discover tends to lack in the math dept and doesn't know how to add up rewards correctly. Let's chalk it up to erroneous mistakes, but I've noticed recently that I wasn't even getting my base 1% for everyday spending. When I called CS and asked for a breakdown of rewards I've collected, they indeed found a huge problem. Turns out if you have reoccurring charges set automatically to the card, sometimes for whatever reason, it doesn't calculate the rewards you should have gotten for that charge. Also, the CS supervisor looked thru the fine print and utilities are not excluded from the 1% like most CS reps think they are and was also credited for those too.

Long story short, they told me they were going to look into it and call me back in a few days. I didn't think much of it, but they went above and beyond and looked through all of 2015 and credited me back everything they found to be wrong- total of $30.24! That's a chunk of change if you think about it being from 1% spending! It's gonna be interesting to see how this calculates with my double cashback promo I should be receiving at the end of my promo year.

TL;DR: check to see you are getting rewards from your reoccurring charges and utilities still gets you rewards.


User avatar
amexmember12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Re: Check Your Cashback

Postby amexmember12 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:51 pm

What I have started doing is keeping an excel sheet that tracks all of my bonus category spend, since I don't use my Discover card for much 1% spend. That way I know how much I am supposed to get and if I don't get it.

Image
CSR $24K | Discover IT $22.9K | AMEX BCE $15K | AMEX EveryDay $12.9K | Marriott Premier - $11K | Delta Platinum $10K | Freedom $6.5K | Freedom $6K | BOA Travel Rewards - $2.7K | AMEX Platinum

9Cline
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 3:37 pm

Re: Check Your Cashback

Postby 9Cline » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:40 am

Thanks for heads up...glad to see they actually did something about your situation and corrected it.....good 2 hear.... :)
LOWES, DISCOVER-iT, MACY'S-AMEX PREMIER ELITE, AMEX-EDP, CHASE FREEDOM VS, AMEX-BCP, CITI-DC WEMC, JCP-PLAT MC, BELK ELITE, CITI BESTBUY, CHASE SAPPHIRE , HOME DEPOT :beat:

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Check Your Cashback

Postby kdm31091 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:54 am

amexmember12 wrote:What I have started doing is keeping an excel sheet that tracks all of my bonus category spend, since I don't use my Discover card for much 1% spend. That way I know how much I am supposed to get and if I don't get it.

Image


While that's a very nice spreadsheet, it's also rather ridiculous that you have to do that.

The credit card companies almost all allow one to track their rewards per transaction for this exact reason. Discover lags behind the competition in this area. You can't see rewards per transaction and have no real way of knowing you are getting what you are supposed to (other than tracking it yourself as you did).

I wish they'd just step it up and provide tracking of the rewards per transaction which is not exactly a novel concept yet they seem to not want to do it.

User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: Check Your Cashback

Postby Vattené » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:51 am

I track my rewards with every card. I have a much simpler setup - I also don't use Discover Deals nearly as much - but it's good to keep them honest. It's great they're correcting everything with relatively little hassle, but it does make you wonder how such a mistake happens in the first place! It's not like some human is tallying up rewards you're getting at the end of every billing cycle. I'm also surprised a CSR told you utilities (or anything) was exempt from the base 1% cash back. It's pretty heavily marketed that you're supposed to get at least 1% on everything with no caps.

I agree Discover should provide a more detailed breakdown and let you track it by transaction. Synchrony doesn't provide a way to track rewards on any of the cards I have, but I hold Discover to a higher bar.
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 805 (2/17) | TU - 787 (2/17)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

User avatar
amexmember12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Re: Check Your Cashback

Postby amexmember12 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:55 am

kdm31091 wrote:
While that's a very nice spreadsheet, it's also rather ridiculous that you have to do that.

The credit card companies almost all allow one to track their rewards per transaction for this exact reason. Discover lags behind the competition in this area. You can't see rewards per transaction and have no real way of knowing you are getting what you are supposed to (other than tracking it yourself as you did).

I wish they'd just step it up and provide tracking of the rewards per transaction which is not exactly a novel concept yet they seem to not want to do it.


Ridiculous indeed....which is the only reason I do it for Discover, mainly Discover Deals. On somewhat of an upside they do send you those two emails after making a DD purchase, the 1st to confirm that you made a purchase through the DD link and the 2nd one (up to 30 days later) to confirm the amount of cashback you got from the transaction. So once I don't get the 2nd email within 30-35 days, i send them the transaction details and they give me a credit.

I hope they step their game up in this aspect, especially with the Double Cash Promotion going on.... So far my spreadsheet has worked, roughly $12 in missing cashback has been credited and I only started it a month ago.

They better not skimp me on that $45 cashback I am waiting on. :money:

Vattené wrote: I'm also surprised a CSR told you utilities (or anything) was exempt from the base 1% cash back. It's pretty heavily marketed that you're supposed to get at least 1% on everything with no caps.


wasn't aware of this, will have to check mine for that as well.
CSR $24K | Discover IT $22.9K | AMEX BCE $15K | AMEX EveryDay $12.9K | Marriott Premier - $11K | Delta Platinum $10K | Freedom $6.5K | Freedom $6K | BOA Travel Rewards - $2.7K | AMEX Platinum

4ktvs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Check Your Cashback

Postby 4ktvs » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:44 pm

I haven't any errors yet but now I might look at it more closely from now on.

JackLane
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:45 am
Location: NYC

Re: Check Your Cashback

Postby JackLane » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:36 am

kdm31091 wrote:
amexmember12 wrote:What I have started doing is keeping an excel sheet that tracks all of my bonus category spend, since I don't use my Discover card for much 1% spend. That way I know how much I am supposed to get and if I don't get it.

Image


While that's a very nice spreadsheet, it's also rather ridiculous that you have to do that.

The credit card companies almost all allow one to track their rewards per transaction for this exact reason. Discover lags behind the competition in this area. You can't see rewards per transaction and have no real way of knowing you are getting what you are supposed to (other than tracking it yourself as you did).

I wish they'd just step it up and provide tracking of the rewards per transaction which is not exactly a novel concept yet they seem to not want to do it.

This has been on my mind for a while as I fail to track the deals I use. Do you mind sharing blank spreadsheet or offer little guidance on how you made it?
Thanks in advance.
Chase Freedom 04/2012. $6500 | Costco Citi 10/2012 $8100 | AmEx BlueCash 06/2015, $15000 |Discover It 07/2015, $5200 |Amazon Store Prime 01/2016 $2200
Local Credit Union secured card, 12/2009 - Closed 02/2015
Tu-764, Ex-764

User avatar
amexmember12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Re: Check Your Cashback

Postby amexmember12 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:28 pm

JackLane wrote:This has been on my mind for a while as I fail to track the deals I use. Do you mind sharing blank spreadsheet or offer little guidance on how you made it?
Thanks in advance.


Sure - here is a blank spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/r1bKqJ hosted on google drive
CSR $24K | Discover IT $22.9K | AMEX BCE $15K | AMEX EveryDay $12.9K | Marriott Premier - $11K | Delta Platinum $10K | Freedom $6.5K | Freedom $6K | BOA Travel Rewards - $2.7K | AMEX Platinum



Return to “Discover, Diners Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests