Gift from Discover

All about Discover & Diners Club - talk about their credit card deals such as the More, Miles, Escape, and others.
User avatar
jumbo
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:17 am
Location: IA

Re:

Postby jumbo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:15 pm

CC Deville wrote:I still have the More card so that probably has something to do with it. They treat More customers like the uncle nobody likes to talk about.


I am in the same boat as you are.
BofA Cash Rewards | CapitalOne QuickSilver | Discover More
Gold Delta AMEX | Citi DoubleCash | Citi Simplicity
Chase Freedom | Kohls Charge Card


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Re:

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:50 pm

jumbo wrote:
CC Deville wrote:I still have the More card so that probably has something to do with it. They treat More customers like the uncle nobody likes to talk about.


I am in the same boat as you are.

Are they not allowing PCs? Your accumulated rewards wouldn't carry over? Or you just like what you currently have?
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: Re:

Postby CC Deville » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:50 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
jumbo wrote:
CC Deville wrote:I still have the More card so that probably has something to do with it. They treat More customers like the uncle nobody likes to talk about.


I am in the same boat as you are.

Are they not allowing PCs? Your accumulated rewards wouldn't carry over? Or you just like what you currently have?


They are still offering PC to an "IT" card; however, they have never marketed that to me. I personally can't stand that IT card; I do not care for un-embossed cards (though Chase manages to make theirs look okay). I keep my More card mainly for that reason and the optional card designs like the Dawn of Discover that looks like my parents' 1986 Discover card. Am I shooting myself in the foot? (cash back in tiers: .25%, .25%, .50% then 1% after $3,000.00 on More compared to 1% from the get go on IT) yes, but I like the look of the More card better.

I used my Discover for everything from 11/99-11/04 and then switched my spending to Citibank Dividend (before it got nerfed) and now I use my BofA Cash Rewards. Discover kind of pissed me off over the years with their conservative credit lines etc. I still use mine for the 5% rotating categories but overall, I will never make Discover my main card again.

I really think they should give More card members the same benefits of the IT card without having to change to IT. They do seem to eventually roll things out to us More customers (ie FICO score and EMV chip) but it takes forever and they still have not given us straight 1% cash back.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Re:

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:34 pm

CC Deville wrote:They are still offering PC to an "IT" card; however, they have never marketed that to me. I personally can't stand that IT card; I do not care for un-embossed cards (though Chase manages to make theirs look okay). I keep my More card mainly for that reason and the optional card designs like the Dawn of Discover that looks like my parents' 1986 Discover card. Am I shooting myself in the foot? (cash back in tiers: .25%, .25%, .50% then 1% after $3,000.00 on More compared to 1% from the get go on IT) yes, but I like the look of the More card better.

I used my Discover for everything from 11/99-11/04 and then switched my spending to Citibank Dividend (before it got nerfed) and now I use my BofA Cash Rewards. Discover kind of pissed me off over the years with their conservative credit lines etc. I still use mine for the 5% rotating categories but overall, I will never make Discover my main card again.

I really think they should give More card members the same benefits of the IT card without having to change to IT. They do seem to eventually roll things out to us More customers (ie FICO score and EMV chip) but it takes forever and they still have not given us straight 1% cash back.

I don't mind un-embossed cards. If anything, I like how they slide smoothly in and out of my wallet.

I've thought about switching Discover designs again to spruce green,
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Vermonster
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Re:

Postby Vermonster » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:06 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I don't mind un-embossed cards. If anything, I like how they slide smoothly in and out of my wallet.


I actually like the non standard card numbers on my CSP for this reason. The large numbers on my Freedom and BCP make my new wallet a bit funky if not put in right.
Chase Freedom $9k~~Chase Sapphire Preferred $6.5k~~Amex Blue Cash Preferred $12.4k~~Citi Double Cash $4.7k

CC Deville
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: Re:

Postby CC Deville » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:56 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
CC Deville wrote:They are still offering PC to an "IT" card; however, they have never marketed that to me. I personally can't stand that IT card; I do not care for un-embossed cards (though Chase manages to make theirs look okay). I keep my More card mainly for that reason and the optional card designs like the Dawn of Discover that looks like my parents' 1986 Discover card. Am I shooting myself in the foot? (cash back in tiers: .25%, .25%, .50% then 1% after $3,000.00 on More compared to 1% from the get go on IT) yes, but I like the look of the More card better.

I used my Discover for everything from 11/99-11/04 and then switched my spending to Citibank Dividend (before it got nerfed) and now I use my BofA Cash Rewards. Discover kind of pissed me off over the years with their conservative credit lines etc. I still use mine for the 5% rotating categories but overall, I will never make Discover my main card again.

I really think they should give More card members the same benefits of the IT card without having to change to IT. They do seem to eventually roll things out to us More customers (ie FICO score and EMV chip) but it takes forever and they still have not given us straight 1% cash back.

I don't mind un-embossed cards. If anything, I like how they slide smoothly in and out of my wallet.

I've thought about switching Discover designs again to spruce green,


Yeah, it seems most don't mind them, otherwise Discover, Citi and others wouldn't be doing it. I don't mind the way Chase does them, they seem classy, but the other ones from Discover, Citi, Penfed etc look cheap and fake. I am a child of the 80s...so I was just as bummed about Gold cards being changed to Platinum when I was first new to credit in the late 90s/early 00s. Eventually I will get used to it LOL.

I actually do like the purple Discover IT. Not enough to change my More to an IT, but I do like the colour.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Gift from Discover

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:33 pm

I got my spruce card today. It has more grey and less green than I expected. I think it's actually pretty ugly.

In very bright light, the green is clear and it looks okay. In anything less than that, it has more of a muddy grey look. The textured front of the card doesn't help.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: Gift from Discover

Postby Vattené » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:30 pm

I wonder if that could be a thing with new chipped versions of their designs? When I found out they would be sending us chipped cards, I got the garnet for my wife and it looked far from all images I saw online. In person it is much more dull with grey in it. She was happy with it, but I am glad I went with mix tape for myself.
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 809 (11/16) | TU - 803 (11/16)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: Gift from Discover

Postby kdm31091 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:30 pm

Vattené wrote:I wonder if that could be a thing with new chipped versions of their designs? When I found out they would be sending us chipped cards, I got the garnet for my wife and it looked far from all images I saw online. In person it is much more dull with grey in it. She was happy with it, but I am glad I went with mix tape for myself.


I'm sad to hear this. I had the Spruce design (and it is kind of ugly) so I decided to try the garnet because it looks like a nice vibrant red on the images. But if it's dull and gross like the Spruce, I guess I'll be trying out the mix tape next

User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: Gift from Discover

Postby Vattené » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:57 pm

I hope you are happy with it, but personally I was disappointed. Before I had a non-chipped copper design and was very happy with it (it was much closer to the online representation).

It may just be me though, because my wife was perfectly satisfied with that garnet.
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 809 (11/16) | TU - 803 (11/16)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now



Return to “Discover, Diners Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests