New card rolls out - Discover it Miles

All about Discover & Diners Club - talk about their credit card deals such as the More, Miles, Escape, and others.
notcool
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:57 pm
Location: usa

Postby notcool » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:22 pm

Battery111 wrote:I really hate when a CC uses the term "miles" when it is really just a cash back scheme...


I agree. It seems likely to mislead or confuse people. I don't like the practice either.


User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Postby Vattené » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:47 pm

Makes you wonder if marketing a card as "for travel" instead of "cash back" is more effective - so many seem to do it unnecessarily.

The rewards program itself isn't too impressive, but I do like their spin on an introductory offer. Give us all your spending for a full year! The more you spend, the bigger your bonus. No minimum spending for people to reach, then forget about the card. No SDing it after a few months for the churners. That new take on an introductory offer is the most interesting thing about it.

For people new to Discover, it would be awesome to be able to apply for the Discover it Miles, use it for a year, then PC to the regular it (assuming with categorized spending mixed in you get higher than a 1.5% return).
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 809 (11/16) | TU - 803 (11/16)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Vattené wrote:Makes you wonder if marketing a card as "for travel" instead of "cash back" is more effective - so many seem to do it unnecessarily.

The rewards program itself isn't too impressive, but I do like their spin on an introductory offer. Give us all your spending for a full year! The more you spend, the bigger your bonus. No minimum spending for people to reach, then forget about the card. No SDing it after a few months for the churners. That new take on an introductory offer is the most interesting thing about it.

For people new to Discover, it would be awesome to be able to apply for the Discover it Miles, use it for a year, then PC to the regular it (assuming with categorized spending mixed in you get higher than a 1.5% return).


Now that's not a bad strategy assuming you don't have other cards you tend to give your spend to for various other reasons. I actually hadn't thought of it that way but it is quite clever.
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:59 pm

I'd probably get one of these before I got a Double Cash...even if I SD'ed it after the first year.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Battery111
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Lawton, ok

Postby Battery111 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:30 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I'd probably get one of these before I got a Double Cash...even if I SD'ed it after the first year.


Any particular reason why? They're both cash back cards in reality, so why do you prefer the 1.5% to 2%? Because of the first year?

It's honestly not a loaded question, I'm just curious. Is it mostly because of the bonus in the first year that beats out the double cash?
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
AMEX Platinum
AMEX Everyday Preferred
USAA AMEX
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
NFCU nRewards Visa

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:25 pm

Battery111 wrote:Any particular reason why? They're both cash back cards in reality, so why do you prefer the 1.5% to 2%? Because of the first year?

It's honestly not a loaded question, I'm just curious. Is it mostly because of the bonus in the first year that beats out the double cash?


That's basically it - excellent non-bonus-category rewards for the first year, great customer service, and maybe an odd Wi-Fi charge or two. I'd put minimal activity on it after that, while avoiding annual fees from other cards.

I'm not likely to get the card - I just find it comparatively more appealing.
Love: IHG, Platinum, Sallie Mae, AA Plat, CSP
Like: Discover, ED, BCE, Hyatt, Arrival, Freedom
Might drop: BrooksBros, Prestige (Costco PC?)
Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:22 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:That's basically it - excellent non-bonus-category rewards for the first year, great customer service, and maybe an odd Wi-Fi charge or two. I'd put minimal activity on it after that, while avoiding annual fees from other cards.

I'm not likely to get the card - I just find it comparatively more appealing.


Great way of putting it!

Citi's customer service is awful, at least when I dealt with them on the phone a lot of the time.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)

luvbullmarkets
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 am
Location: TPC Stonebrae

Postby luvbullmarkets » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:51 am

Battery111 wrote:Any particular reason why? They're both cash back cards in reality, so why do you prefer the 1.5% to 2%? Because of the first year?

It's honestly not a loaded question, I'm just curious. Is it mostly because of the bonus in the first year that beats out the double cash?


The Citi Double Cash card only pays 2% cash back on balances that post on the closing statement. For those of us who pay the balance in full prior to closing statement will ONLY earn 1% cash back. A sneaky little trick Citi puts in the fine print.
Amex EveryDay, Amex BCE , Barclaycard Arrival+ WEMC, CSP Visa Signature, Discover it, Wells Fargo Propel 365 Amex

"Attack this day with a level of enthusiasm unknown to mankind." - Jack Harbaugh

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Postby lobbythis » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:12 pm

luvbullmarkets wrote:The Citi Double Cash card only pays 2% cash back on balances that post on the closing statement. For those of us who pay the balance in full prior to closing statement will ONLY earn 1% cash back. A sneaky little trick Citi puts in the fine print.


So lame. Thank you for pointing this out though.

notcool
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:57 pm
Location: usa

Postby notcool » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:33 pm

luvbullmarkets wrote:The Citi Double Cash card only pays 2% cash back on balances that post on the closing statement. For those of us who pay the balance in full prior to closing statement will ONLY earn 1% cash back. A sneaky little trick Citi puts in the fine print.


I'd say that is really deceptive. I have other citi cards and I am somewhat interested in the DoubleCash. But such deceptive tricks are a turn off.



Return to “Discover, Diners Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests