Discover Is Crazy (CLI related)

All about Discover & Diners Club - talk about their credit card deals such as the More, Miles, Escape, and others.
rockyrock
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 am
Location: Ventura, CA

Postby rockyrock » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:28 am

I stopped using my Discover after meeting the intitial spend for the bonus. After 10 months of no use I got an auto CLI of $1500; I use it now and again for cat spending but haven't gotten a CLI since then.
American Express (2005): Premier Rewards Gold & Blue Cash Preferred
Chase: Freedom & UA Club USAA: Signature Visa & American Express
Discover it Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines WEMC Synchrony Sam's MC
Navy FCU Platinum Visa Citi Double Cash & AT&T Access MC


MrMosby
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:08 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby MrMosby » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:36 am

Hrm, Discover is one of my lower limits, but in general it's not aweful.
Everyday Preferred $45K | Amex Platinum NPSL | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $45K | Delta Platinum $30K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $64K | Citi Hilton HHonors $45K | Discover IT $25K

User avatar
PlyrStar93
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:06 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby PlyrStar93 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:16 pm

MrMosby wrote:Hrm, Discover is one of my lower limits, but in general it's not aweful.

21k of "lower limit", wow that's even more than everything combined for me...
Citi Forward Visa $5000 10/2012 | American Express Blue Cash Everyday $8000 2/2014 | Discover it $7000 5/2014
Chase Freedom Visa Signature $7000 6/2014 | Citi ThankYou Premier Visa Signature $5000 1/2015
All EMV.

popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:42 pm

PlyrStar93 wrote:21k of "lower limit", wow that's even more than everything combined for me...


Me too! I'm still stuck with a measly toy limit on mine.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3744
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:18 pm

My Discover is a joint applicant card, so I don't know how that affects things. A requested CLI would probably require pulling both applicants' credit reports?

$2k is still useful, though, so there's no need to change it anytime soon.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

User avatar
lobbythis
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: usa

Postby lobbythis » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Discover seems so difficult to work with, I still don't understand why they are raved about.

With the exception of Mosby, everyone seems to have low limits and low CLI's consistently. Despite some decent benefits, I just don't see how they are worth the months/years of loyalty just to get a measly few thousand for limits.

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3744
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:07 pm

lobbythis wrote:Discover seems so difficult to work with, I still don't understand why they are raved about.

With the exception of Mosby, everyone seems to have low limits and low CLI's consistently. Despite some decent benefits, I just don't see how they are worth the months/years of loyalty just to get a measly few thousand for limits.


People who rave about Discover are simply people who like the good customer service and rewards - and usually care less about a low limit, so long as it isn't prohibitively low.

It seems 90%+ of the bad things I hear people say about Discover relate to getting a low CL/small or no CLI/application denial. When it comes to actually helping customers in connection with purchases, complaints are fairly few.

Edit: I'd much rather have my $2k Discover than a $10k line with mediocre rewards and bad service.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

MrMosby
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:08 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby MrMosby » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:15 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:People who rave about Discover are simply people who like the good customer service and rewards - and usually care less about a low limit, so long as it isn't prohibitively low.

It seems 90%+ of the bad things I hear people say about Discover relate to getting a low CL/small or no CLI/application denial. When it comes to actually helping customers in connection with purchases, complaints are fairly few.

Edit: I'd much rather have my $2k Discover than a $10k line with mediocre rewards and bad service.


Yes their service is phenomenal, in fact its probably the best - their normal CSR's are pretty much as empowered as the JP Morgan Executive Line that you get with your Ritz Carlton, and much better than Amex Platinum.
Everyday Preferred $45K | Amex Platinum NPSL | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $45K | Delta Platinum $30K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $64K | Citi Hilton HHonors $45K | Discover IT $25K

popamode72
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby popamode72 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:20 pm

I completely agree that Discover's customer service is some of the best I've ever worked with and the rewards on their card are very good too. Amex and Chase aren't too far behind in that respect either.

2k on Discover would be good enough for me quite frankly or even if they increased my limit to match my CapOne card would also be what I'd want.
Macy's TLs (21k), Lowes (17k), CSP (10k), Sam's Club (10k), Nordstrom (5k), AARP (4.2k), Freedom (3k), Discover (1.5k), Quicksilver (2k), BoA (3k), Barclaycard Arrival (2.5k), Amazon Store (6k), Paypal (4.9k), Sam's Club MC (3.6k), Walmart MC (1.2k)

MrMosby
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:08 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby MrMosby » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:27 pm

popamode72 wrote:I completely agree that Discover's customer service is some of the best I've ever worked with and the rewards on their card are very good too. Amex and Chase aren't too far behind in that respect either.


Citi is the worst, I would get rid of my Citi card but I don't want to lose available credit.
Everyday Preferred $45K | Amex Platinum NPSL | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $45K | Delta Platinum $30K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $64K | Citi Hilton HHonors $45K | Discover IT $25K



Return to “Discover, Diners Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests