Help! Credit Card Used Without Permission

Get credit card fraud help: For victims of credit card fraud and identity theft, and those that can help.
11 posts
Mkay
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:26 pm
Location: Vestal NY

Help! Credit Card Used Without Permission

Postby Mkay » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:32 pm

So my friend comes I visit me at school. I've got class all day so I give him my credit card to get himself lunch and put gas in my car. And that's why I told him. Get food and gas.

Three days later I look at my online statement and find out he spent $150 at Sprint (I have Verizon), took out a $200 cash back thing at Walmart, and another $100 cash back at a local bookstore by campus.

He is avoiding my calls, but he said he'd pay me back and that the check was in the mail. He's obviously lying but I can't get a hold of him now. I have the texts where he admits it.

Am I liable for the $450 because I have him my card for food? Or will my bank help me out because he didn't have permission for the other purchases?

I'd really rather not involve police or my parents if possible.


whit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:04 pm
Location: ca

Postby whit » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:38 pm

You gave him the card to use so you assume responsibility like if you gave him your car to drive and he gets into an accident you would be stuck with the repairs..unless you go after him in small court

Talk to the police, file the report if possible

Serve him

benhollberg
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:51 pm
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby benhollberg » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:40 am

If I were you I'd call the credit card company and just make something up, like you lost your card, just to get a new card with a different number just in case your friend copied all the information down.

But back to your first query, honestly I'm not for sure but I'd say you're at fault here.
American Express Platinum Card
American Express TrueEarnings Card from Costco
Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred World MasterCard
Discover It

Robrus1
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Texas

Postby Robrus1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:51 am

You are indeed liable because you gave him the card. You'll never be able to prove what he was permitted to charge and what he wasn't permitted to charge. My advice would be to pay the charges, and seek reimbursement from the person you let use your card. Mark that one as a lesson learned the hard way. Had he taken your card from your purse/wallet without your knowledge, that would be a different story.
Amex Platinum
Amex BCP 21K
Amex SPG 5K
Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K
Chase Sapphire Preferred 23.5K
Credit Union 10K
Discover IT 7.75K

DoingHomework
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Postby DoingHomework » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:44 pm

benhollberg wrote:If I were you I'd call the credit card company and just make something up, like you lost your card, just to get a new card with a different number just in case your friend copied all the information down.

But back to your first query, honestly I'm not for sure but I'd say you're at fault here.


That would be one of the stupidest possible actions. Ben, you are advising the OP to commit a crime, which of course means you have just committed a crime yourself. Let's hope they track you down and throw you in jail.

DoingHomework
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Postby DoingHomework » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:46 pm

Robrus1 wrote:You are indeed liable because you gave him the card. You'll never be able to prove what he was permitted to charge and what he wasn't permitted to charge. My advice would be to pay the charges, and seek reimbursement from the person you let use your card. Mark that one as a lesson learned the hard way. Had he taken your card from your purse/wallet without your knowledge, that would be a different story.


I agree 100%. The only thing I would add is that your friend committed a crime against you and you are the victim. You have every right to file a police report. I would give him 10 days to pay you back in full (in cash or cashier's check) and inform him that if he does not then you will turn the matter over to the police.

Robrus1
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Texas

Postby Robrus1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:56 pm

DoingHomework wrote:I agree 100%. The only thing I would add is that your friend committed a crime against you and you are the victim. You have every right to file a police report. I would give him 10 days to pay you back in full (in cash or cashier's check) and inform him that if he does not then you will turn the matter over to the police.


Sounds good to me. I wasn't sure what, if anything, could be done from a legal perspective so I didn't go there. Good to know.
Amex Platinum
Amex BCP 21K
Amex SPG 5K
Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K
Chase Sapphire Preferred 23.5K
Credit Union 10K
Discover IT 7.75K

DoingHomework
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Postby DoingHomework » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:36 pm

Robrus1 wrote:Sounds good to me. I wasn't sure what, if anything, could be done from a legal perspective so I didn't go there. Good to know.


It is unlikely the police will do much. But they could and that should be enough of a threat to the friend to get him to pay up.

benhollberg
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:51 pm
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby benhollberg » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:49 am

DoingHomework wrote:That would be one of the stupidest possible actions. Ben, you are advising the OP to commit a crime, which of course means you have just committed a crime yourself. Let's hope they track you down and throw you in jail.


I didn't mean call and dispute the charges as if they weren't his. I'd pay the charges but I would also want a new card because the friend may have written down the information. I should have said my first post better, my apologies.
American Express Platinum Card
American Express TrueEarnings Card from Costco
Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred World MasterCard
Discover It

RewardHop
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm
Location: USA

Postby RewardHop » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:51 pm

I agree with what people said, OP call your credit card company and get a new card so even if your "friend" set up online or recurring charges, they won't go through. This is the first thing you should do.
[size=60]
Amex BCE: 3% grocery, 2% gas
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards MC: $25/quarter bonus
Barclaycard Rewards Visa Signature: 2% gas, groceries, utilities
Capital One Quicksilver Visa Signature: 1.5% everything
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: 5% rotating
Citi Forward Visa: 5% restaurants/fastfood, movie theaters, amazon.com
Discover It: 5% rotating
SallieMae MC: 5% Groceries, Gas, Amazon
US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature: 5% electronic stores, restaurants
Sock Drawered: Chase Sapphire, Chase Amazon[/size]



Return to “Credit Card Fraud”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests