Card is in my possession but someone physically swiped it?!

Get credit card fraud help: For victims of credit card fraud and identity theft, and those that can help.
34 posts
JCarter
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: Virginia

Postby JCarter » Tue May 01, 2012 5:54 am

FastSRT8 wrote:Wait! Are you telling me a batch code reader can read the info off the magnetic strip from 3' away?


The ones that the secret service have shown off in our office have a range between 3-5' and require a system the size of an blackberry tour, with an extended life battery attached. They are fairly common for these thieves to use in larger cities.

They typically work for eastern European groups which specialize in such things.


chustle925
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:13 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Postby chustle925 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:07 pm

The card I have does not have a chip in it.It's actually kinda weird that this card was the victim as I never use it,only once in a while just to keep it active.I do all of my spending on my Amex Blue Cash. However I did just buy a house and my girlfriend said she saw something like this on one of those lifetime movies,lol,where a person at the bank stole someones info.It's very scary that someone can read your card with a reader.I was thinking that my credit union info was compromised only because this card is never used.

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:35 pm

JCarter wrote:The ones that the secret service have shown off in our office have a range between 3-5' and require a system the size of an blackberry tour, with an extended life battery attached. They are fairly common for these thieves to use in larger cities.

They typically work for eastern European groups which specialize in such things.


So, what can be done to protect against these type of theft??!!
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

432521
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: USA

Postby 432521 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:46 am

FastSRT8 wrote:So, what can be done to protect against these type of theft??!!


They have wallets that do the whole rfid protection. I have a wallet called the flip side 2x really cheap only 40 bucks and since you are who you are thats nothing, but it's more of a kid wallet and a business man like you probably wouldn't want to use something like that but if you google rfid protection wallet you should be able to find something you like.

To take it to another extreme you could cut the chip off out of your card or call the company and say you want a new card with no chip in it. The chips are usually in cards that us the whole paywave and other things like that. I have a friend who microwaved his card to fry the thing and another that actually took a box cutter to cut the chip out leaving a little whole in the back of his card.
March 2011- Wellsfargo Cash Back College Card
May 2012- Chase Freedom
May 2012- Discover IT
August 2012- American Express Blue Cash Everyday

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:09 am

432521 wrote:They have wallets that do the whole rfid protection. I have a wallet called the flip side 2x really cheap only 40 bucks and since you are who you are thats nothing, but it's more of a kid wallet and a business man like you probably wouldn't want to use something like that but if you google rfid protection wallet you should be able to find something you like.

To take it to another extreme you could cut the chip off out of your card or call the company and say you want a new card with no chip in it. The chips are usually in cards that us the whole paywave and other things like that. I have a friend who microwaved his card to fry the thing and another that actually took a box cutter to cut the chip out leaving a little whole in the back of his card.


432521,

Thanks for your response. My newly issued card does not have a PIN chip on it. What exactly am I looking for with respect to the RFID chip? Is it the same as the gold circuit board looking chip that is visible from the front of the card?
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

432521
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: USA

Postby 432521 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:40 am

FastSRT8 wrote:432521,

Thanks for your response. My newly issued card does not have a PIN chip on it. What exactly am I looking for with respect to the RFID chip? Is it the same as the gold circuit board looking chip that is visible from the front of the card?


If you have pay wave from visa or whatever master card offers then you have rfid inside your card. You can see it it is usually the left side of your card at least it is on both of my cards. just hold it as an angle and you should see a little square popping up and that is where the chip is.
March 2011- Wellsfargo Cash Back College Card
May 2012- Chase Freedom
May 2012- Discover IT
August 2012- American Express Blue Cash Everyday

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:51 am

432521 wrote:If you have pay wave from visa or whatever master card offers then you have rfid inside your card. You can see it it is usually the left side of your card at least it is on both of my cards. just hold it as an angle and you should see a little square popping up and that is where the chip is.


My AmEx doesn't have it but I have seen a few with the symbol on the back. Can a merchant deny the use of the card if they see a chunk on the back missing because one has tampered with it?
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

432521
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: USA

Postby 432521 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:01 pm

FastSRT8 wrote:My AmEx doesn't have it but I have seen a few with the symbol on the back. Can a merchant deny the use of the card if they see a chunk on the back missing because one has tampered with it?


My friend has 3 of his credit cards cut on the back and they never say anything.
March 2011- Wellsfargo Cash Back College Card
May 2012- Chase Freedom
May 2012- Discover IT
August 2012- American Express Blue Cash Everyday

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:09 pm

432521 wrote:My friend has 3 of his credit cards cut on the back and they never say anything.


That's good to know. Maybe when Royal Bank issues my next replacement card for Visa it will have it and I can cut it out.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

432521
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: USA

Postby 432521 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:28 pm

FastSRT8 wrote:That's good to know. Maybe when Royal Bank issues my next replacement card for Visa it will have it and I can cut it out.


You could just nuke it in a microwave if you don't want to cut your card. It is supposed to fry the chip so it won't work.
March 2011- Wellsfargo Cash Back College Card
May 2012- Chase Freedom
May 2012- Discover IT
August 2012- American Express Blue Cash Everyday



Return to “Credit Card Fraud”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests