Fun Fraud News of the Day

Get credit card fraud help: For victims of credit card fraud and identity theft, and those that can help.
36 posts
Bacon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: Fun Fraud News of the Day

Postby Bacon » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Today's version:

"The West Virginia Attorney General’s Office has secured a nearly $60,000 judgment in a civil complaint against a fraudulent mortgage broker who charged thousands of dollars in unauthorized expenses to his customers’ credit cards........ The order granting summary judgment states Busack would request credit card information as part of processing the customer’s mortgage. He then charged hundreds to thousands of dollars to the cards without the customers’ knowledge or consent.

Busack would offer excuses and reasons for the charges, but the order states Busack used money obtained through his scheme to pay for business and personal expenses. Excuses ranged from it having been a simple mistake, to fees required to “shop” the loan and banks demanding proof as to the consumers’ existing finance accounts."

http://www.theintelligencer.net/news/community/2016/11/nearly-60k-judgment-in-ohio-county-credit-card-scheme/

Lame excuses....


Bacon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: Fun Fraud News of the Day

Postby Bacon » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Today's version:

"A South Florida couple was arrested last week after they went on a shopping spree at Aventura Mall with a stolen credit card.

Police said the victim accidentally left his SunTrust MasterCard inside an ATM Nov. 20 inside the mall when Deyvis Hernandez, 29, of Hialeah, and his girlfriend, Leidis Rodriguez, 20, stumbled upon it.

According to an arrest report, the couple went on a shopping spree with the card, spending more than $200 at Victoria's Secret and more than $1,500 at Bloomingdales.

Police said the victim contacted a Bloomingdales' loss prevention officer after he realized his card was missing and checked his account to find that it had just been used at the department store.

The loss prevention officer found the fraudulent transaction in the register system and reviewed the store's surveillance video to identity the suspects.

Police said Hernandez and Rodriguez were still inside the store at the time, and the officer began following their moves on surveillance video."

http://www.local10.com/news/crime/couple-accused-of-going-on-shopping-spree-with-stolen-credit-card-at-aventura-mall

Just some early Christmas shopping....

Bacon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: Fun Fraud News of the Day

Postby Bacon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:23 pm

Today's version

"Police have released video of an elderly woman setting down her purse to receive communion at a church in Green only to return to find the purse stolen and $1,000 charged on her credit cards at nearby grocery stores.
The surveillance video was captured Thursday morning inside Queen of Heaven Church in Green. Still frames depict a man and woman walking toward a pew where a 79-year-old parishioner had laid down her purse before getting in line to receive communion."

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/credit-card-taken-while-church-goer-gets-communion-was-used-to-buy-cigarettes-diapers-1.733584

Steal from a 79 year old in church.
Nice.......

mountaindewvoltage
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Fun Fraud News of the Day

Postby mountaindewvoltage » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:18 pm

Bacon wrote:Today's version

"Police have released video of an elderly woman setting down her purse to receive communion at a church in Green only to return to find the purse stolen and $1,000 charged on her credit cards at nearby grocery stores.
The surveillance video was captured Thursday morning inside Queen of Heaven Church in Green. Still frames depict a man and woman walking toward a pew where a 79-year-old parishioner had laid down her purse before getting in line to receive communion."

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/credit-card-taken-while-church-goer-gets-communion-was-used-to-buy-cigarettes-diapers-1.733584

Steal from a 79 year old in church.
Nice.......


The banks don't want chip and PIN here.

Chip and PIN would've solved fraud in the case, although the thief could've used the card online as long as they knew the woman's billing address.

Why Congress doesn't make chip and PIN the law is beyond me... You'd think they'd have the American people's best interests at mind. If they can make $0 liability on credit cards the law, why not go farther? Congress seemed very interested in limiting the bank's power with debit card transactions via the Durbin Amendment to Dodd-Frank, so I don't see why they're sitting on their hands.

Bacon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: Fun Fraud News of the Day

Postby Bacon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:03 pm

mountaindewvoltage wrote:
Bacon wrote:Today's version

"Police have released video of an elderly woman setting down her purse to receive communion at a church in Green only to return to find the purse stolen and $1,000 charged on her credit cards at nearby grocery stores.
The surveillance video was captured Thursday morning inside Queen of Heaven Church in Green. Still frames depict a man and woman walking toward a pew where a 79-year-old parishioner had laid down her purse before getting in line to receive communion."

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/credit-card-taken-while-church-goer-gets-communion-was-used-to-buy-cigarettes-diapers-1.733584

Steal from a 79 year old in church.
Nice.......


The banks don't want chip and PIN here.

Chip and PIN would've solved fraud in the case, although the thief could've used the card online as long as they knew the woman's billing address.

Why Congress doesn't make chip and PIN the law is beyond me... You'd think they'd have the American people's best interests at mind. If they can make $0 liability on credit cards the law, why not go farther? Congress seemed very interested in limiting the bank's power with debit card transactions via the Durbin Amendment to Dodd-Frank, so I don't see why they're sitting on their hands.



I think It is a power play between Viisa, MC and the retailers. The retailers don't want to spend all the dollars to install the chip readers (I assume billions), MC and Visa don't want to pay, thus there is low chip and pin usage by retailers.

Bacon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: Fun Fraud News of the Day

Postby Bacon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:16 pm

Today's version:

"Two Cuban nationals arrested at the Waterville Wal-Mart in September pleaded guilty Thursday to misuse of identification in a case where police say they created fake credit cards using stolen numbers and used them to purchase gift and credit cards.

Alexey Caraballo-Rosado, 35, and Mario Adan Ebanks Benitez, 31, both of Las Vegas, entered the pleas at the Capital Judicial Center as they stood with their attorneys and with interpreters who translated between Spanish and English. Benitez had previously indicated he lived in Kissimmee, Florida."

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/12/15/two-cuban-nationals-arrested-in-waterville-plead-guilty-in-credit-card-scam/


They became capitalists pretty quickly....

mountaindewvoltage
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Fun Fraud News of the Day

Postby mountaindewvoltage » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Bacon wrote:
mountaindewvoltage wrote:
Bacon wrote:Today's version

"Police have released video of an elderly woman setting down her purse to receive communion at a church in Green only to return to find the purse stolen and $1,000 charged on her credit cards at nearby grocery stores.
The surveillance video was captured Thursday morning inside Queen of Heaven Church in Green. Still frames depict a man and woman walking toward a pew where a 79-year-old parishioner had laid down her purse before getting in line to receive communion."

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/credit-card-taken-while-church-goer-gets-communion-was-used-to-buy-cigarettes-diapers-1.733584

Steal from a 79 year old in church.
Nice.......


The banks don't want chip and PIN here.

Chip and PIN would've solved fraud in the case, although the thief could've used the card online as long as they knew the woman's billing address.

Why Congress doesn't make chip and PIN the law is beyond me... You'd think they'd have the American people's best interests at mind. If they can make $0 liability on credit cards the law, why not go farther? Congress seemed very interested in limiting the bank's power with debit card transactions via the Durbin Amendment to Dodd-Frank, so I don't see why they're sitting on their hands.



I think It is a power play between Viisa, MC and the retailers. The retailers don't want to spend all the dollars to install the chip readers (I assume billions), MC and Visa don't want to pay, thus there is low chip and pin usage by retailers.


Most card readers I see out there are capable of reading the chip, like 80% or more... At least from what I've seen.

Bacon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: Fun Fraud News of the Day

Postby Bacon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:54 pm

[/quote]

Most card readers I see out there are capable of reading the chip, like 80% or more... At least from what I've seen.[/quote]

Just searched and saw this article.

"While many large retailers, such as Walmart, Target and Costco, have upgraded their POS terminals and have activated them for chip card acceptance, most U.S. retail locations are not EMV-ready.

Visa says 37 percent of U.S. stores (approximately 1.7 million merchant locations) now accept chip cards, as of October 2016. Also as of October 2016, Mastercard has tallied 2.3 million chip-active merchant locations on its network, representing 38 percent of all U.S. merchants. Industry experts expect the merchant migration to slowly continue over the next few years, especially as the remaining liability shift dates get closer."

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/emv-faq-chip-cards-answers-1264.php

Bacon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: Fun Fraud News of the Day

Postby Bacon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:01 pm

Today's version:

"Pickpockets targeted fans at the Bengals-Eagles game, police said, and spent more than $10,000 on stolen credit cards.

Police did not specify how many people fell victim at the Dec. 4 game at Cincinnati’s Paul Brown Stadium. Video was released Wednesday showing three people suspected in the thefts. The video shows three people inside of Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky retailers, where police said they spent around $10,900 on merchandise. "

Well, at least the victims' home team won.

http://www.wlwt.com/article/pickpockets-target-fans-at-bengals-game-spend-over-dollar10k-on-stolen-credit-cards/8561046

mountaindewvoltage
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Fun Fraud News of the Day

Postby mountaindewvoltage » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:12 am

Bacon wrote:


Most card readers I see out there are capable of reading the chip, like 80% or more... At least from what I've seen.[/quote]

Just searched and saw this article.

"While many large retailers, such as Walmart, Target and Costco, have upgraded their POS terminals and have activated them for chip card acceptance, most U.S. retail locations are not EMV-ready.

Visa says 37 percent of U.S. stores (approximately 1.7 million merchant locations) now accept chip cards, as of October 2016. Also as of October 2016, Mastercard has tallied 2.3 million chip-active merchant locations on its network, representing 38 percent of all U.S. merchants. Industry experts expect the merchant migration to slowly continue over the next few years, especially as the remaining liability shift dates get closer."

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/emv-faq-chip-cards-answers-1264.php[/quote]

I meant they have the capability but do not take them yet.



Return to “Credit Card Fraud”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests