Best and worst

Get credit card fraud help: For victims of credit card fraud and identity theft, and those that can help.
19 posts
whit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:04 pm
Location: ca

Re: Best and worst

Postby whit » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:32 pm

I know, the whole borough thing because I had this conversation with another but it's still Brooklyn, ny versus ny, ny when you're looking at the addresses for Brooklyn and Manhattan--so

That's what I meant in my answer.


attrapereves
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:44 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Best and worst

Postby attrapereves » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:46 am

Wanted to post an update about Citi. Their CS agent was friendly and knowledgeable. I received my new card the next day via FedEx overnight.

When I activated my card, I had to remove the old card from my profile online, and add the new one. This is a little weird as with most CC companies, the old card automatically disappears and the new one shows up.

Also, it took several days for any of my pending or posted charges to show up on the new card. Citi's website has never really been that great.

The fraudulent charges are still showing up, but the agent did tell me it will take 5-7 days for them to go away.

Kevin86475391
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:04 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Best and worst

Postby Kevin86475391 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:43 pm

attrapereves wrote:When I activated my card, I had to remove the old card from my profile online, and add the new one. This is a little weird as with most CC companies, the old card automatically disappears and the new one shows up.


How did you remove the old one? I had my fraudulent charge/card change with Citi months ago and my old card profile is still sitting there below my new one. I just assumed it would eventually disappear on its own. I didn't realize I had to remove it myself.

attrapereves wrote:Also, it took several days for any of my pending or posted charges to show up on the new card. Citi's website has never really been that great.

Agreed, their website is kinda bad. I had a nightmare setting up online access when I first got my credit card with them because I'd previously had a bank account which somehow interfered with setting up the new account...weird since I have both bank accounts and credit cards with Chase and Discover - and in the past also Amex and Cap 1 - and never had any issue whatsoever.

attrapereves wrote:The fraudulent charges are still showing up, but the agent did tell me it will take 5-7 days for them to go away.

Yeah, that's about it how long it took for mine to go away too.

User avatar
Snowman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 10:10 pm
Location: North Los Angeles County

Re: Best and worst

Postby Snowman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:21 pm

So far, I've only been hit by Discover, Citi, and BOFA, and they've all done really well. BOFA actually called me and as did Citi, Citi took a while to take care of it. BOFA and Discover did it rather quickly. Haven't had any problem with my AMEX or Chase cards as of yet.
Bank Of America: BankAmeriCard Cash Rewards-4.2k
Citi: Forward-4.5k American Airlines Advantage Platinum Select World Elite MasterCard 9/6/15-4K
Discover: More-7k
Amex BCE.2k- Amex SPG-5k
Chase: Freedom-5kSouthwest Rapid Rewards Plus- 3.6k
Capital one: Venture one-10,000, Visa Signature.

attrapereves
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:44 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Best and worst

Postby attrapereves » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:05 pm

Kevin86475391 wrote:
attrapereves wrote:When I activated my card, I had to remove the old card from my profile online, and add the new one. This is a little weird as with most CC companies, the old card automatically disappears and the new one shows up.


How did you remove the old one? I had my fraudulent charge/card change with Citi months ago and my old card profile is still sitting there below my new one. I just assumed it would eventually disappear on its own. I didn't realize I had to remove it myself.



I think if you click on the old card, it will ask you if you want to remove it.

User avatar
Vattené
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am
Location: US

Re: Best and worst

Postby Vattené » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:06 pm

I've been fortunate to only get hit once with fraud. Turns out it was on a Synchrony card, but I was very pleased with how they handled it. It was pretty low hanging fruit when it comes to fraud detection, but still. The account info was stolen and used across the country so it definitely should have raised a huge red flag (my best guess is it was from the big Target breach of 2013), but they caught it immediately, called me right away, and shut it down. It took them a little bit to post the credit while they were "investigating," but it was easily within the billing cycle.
-Vattené
FICO-8:
EX - 805 (2/17) | TU - 787 (2/17)
Primary Cards:
American Express EveryDay - $20,000 (10/14)
Discover it - $23,000 (2/14)
AU on Barclay Sallie Mae - $10,000 (8/15)
plus several store accounts of varying usefulness now

Vermonster
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Best and worst

Postby Vermonster » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:40 am

Bringing this back up because I just dealt with a rather bothersome incident with Chase.

Last night i was in class and my wife texts me telling me that Safari on her iPad was corrupt and she had to call apple to fix it and they charged her $50. :facepalm I know she is smarter than to fall for a scam like that, but last night she wasn't. $50 to "unlock" her iPad and all they did was tell her to clear her cookies and cache. They also got her email, phone, and name.

I got the mail from Chase asking if this was a legit charge and said NO (because hell no wasn't an option). The fraud department attempted to call on our landline which has never happened before. I missed the call and called the number they left on the message. They couldn't pull up my account based on the last 4 digits of my card so I had to give them the whole card number, my full name, and DoB. Super sketchy when you are dealing with fraud to start with. He then asked me a set of 3 multiple choice questions that only I should know. Apparently one of my answers was incorrect. I believe it should have bee the "D. None of the above" but one of their filler choices was actually a car I owned for about a year. The "information mismatch" along with not calling using the phone number that they had called, caused him to lock my account and hang up on me.

Today I had to call the number on the back of my card and be transferred to security because my cell phone number was blocked from calling Chase Fraud department. I went through the entire process of the multiple choice questions again as well as giving her my address, phone, email, SSN. While I'm on the phone we get an email from the scam company saying they were refunding us the charges.

Chase is inclined to trust them and they opened the card to allow the charge and refund. I will have to call back if there is no refund in 5-10 days. Not the best thing to go though, though my wife has learned an important lesson.
Chase Freedom $9k~~Chase Sapphire Preferred $6.5k~~Amex Blue Cash Preferred $12.4k~~Citi Double Cash $4.7k

amex007
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:31 pm
Location: NY

Re: Best and worst

Postby amex007 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Vermonster wrote:Bringing this back up because I just dealt with a rather bothersome incident with Chase.

Last night i was in class and my wife texts me telling me that Safari on her iPad was corrupt and she had to call apple to fix it and they charged her $50. :facepalm I know she is smarter than to fall for a scam like that, but last night she wasn't. $50 to "unlock" her iPad and all they did was tell her to clear her cookies and cache. They also got her email, phone, and name.

I got the mail from Chase asking if this was a legit charge and said NO (because hell no wasn't an option). The fraud department attempted to call on our landline which has never happened before. I missed the call and called the number they left on the message. They couldn't pull up my account based on the last 4 digits of my card so I had to give them the whole card number, my full name, and DoB. Super sketchy when you are dealing with fraud to start with. He then asked me a set of 3 multiple choice questions that only I should know. Apparently one of my answers was incorrect. I believe it should have bee the "D. None of the above" but one of their filler choices was actually a car I owned for about a year. The "information mismatch" along with not calling using the phone number that they had called, caused him to lock my account and hang up on me.

Today I had to call the number on the back of my card and be transferred to security because my cell phone number was blocked from calling Chase Fraud department. I went through the entire process of the multiple choice questions again as well as giving her my address, phone, email, SSN. While I'm on the phone we get an email from the scam company saying they were refunding us the charges.

Chase is inclined to trust them and they opened the card to allow the charge and refund. I will have to call back if there is no refund in 5-10 days. Not the best thing to go though, though my wife has learned an important lesson.


I wonder why the scam company emailed u saying they were refunding the charges. Why would they do that if they are a scam company?
Amex Gold NPSL | Amex ED 28500 | Barclaycard Arrival 17500 | Hyatt visa signature 5000
sockdrawer-- GM 4000 | Unionplus 2200
EX 795 EQ 786 TU 790

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Best and worst

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:19 pm

amex007 wrote:I wonder why the scam company emailed u saying they were refunding the charges. Why would they do that if they are a scam company?

One possibility: Maybe they knew they'd lose, anyway, and want to stay under Chase's radar.

Another, more likely, possibility: They have no intention of giving a refund and are just trying to wear their victims down via exhaustion and draw out the dispute process. It's pretty easy for a legitimate merchant to cancel a CC charge. I've known reputable merchants who will take 2 minutes more so they can send a "I've just cancelled the charge" email, instead of a "I will cancel the charge" email.
Keeping indefinitely: IHG, SchwabPlat, CSP, Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE, Hyatt
May close or PC: Prestige, Arrival, BrooksBros
AA Platinum converting into Costco

Might add: Proper business card, CSR, Ritz, Delta Gold, First Tech
Letting new accounts cool off since May



Return to “Credit Card Fraud”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests