- Myth #1: They don't offer rewards or worthwhile benefits. It's true that most don't (especially those from small banks), but the best credit cards for college students will give great rewards and other benefits.
- Myth #2: Student cards are out to get you. As with any type of credit, if used recklessly it will lead to problems. But the bottom line is that if you pay your balance in full each month, there won't be any interest.
- Myth #3: You need to carry a balance to build up your credit. What's reported to the credit bureaus is your balance at the end of a billing cycle (when the bill is issued). That means you don't need to carry debt to build up your credit history. The amount due on the bill will still be reported whether you pay it in full or not. So pay it all and avoid interest!
Reviews of Student Credit Cards 2014
(this list is constantly updated with the best sponsored offers)
Discover it® for Students with $20 Cashback Bonus
This is the student version of the wildly popular Discover it card. It gives you the same 5% rewards program but unlike the standard consumer version, it is designed for college students that have little or no credit history. This is an ideal card to start out with since it has wide acceptance, friendly terms, excellent customer service and great cash back rewards.
- Fair. No annual fee. No overlimit fee. No foreign transaction fee. No late fee on your first late payment. And paying late won't increase your APR.*
- 5% cash back at gas stations on up to $1,500 in purchases from July through September 2014 when you sign up*. 1% cash back on all other purchases automatically.*
- Human. Talk to a real person any time with 100% U.S.-based service.
- Looks out for you - since each Discover purchase is monitored. If it's unusual, you're alerted by e-mail, phone or text - and never responsible for unauthorized Discover card purchases.*
- Experience our cash rewards with $20 Cashback Bonus® when you make your first purchase within 3 months of approval.*
- *Click "Apply" to see rates, rewards and other information
Discover it® for Students with 0% intro APR for 6 months on purchases
This is almost identical Discover it card as above, except this comes with a different signup offer. You still get Discover Card's amazing cash back rewards, including 5% at gas stations from July through September 2014 and 1% on all other purchases. The only real difference is that instead of the $20 Cashback Bonus, Discover provides a 0% intro APR* on purchases for 6 months, then a variable purchase APR of 12.99% - 21.99%.* If you need several months to pay off any initial balances this 0% intro APR offer will probably be the better choice. *Click "Apply" to see rates, rewards and other info.
Discover it® chrome for Students
The Discover it chrome for Students is just like the standard Discover it card, but it has a slightly more user-friendly rewards structure, allowing you to earn extra cash back on gas and restaurant purchases each quarter automatically. Plus, no annual fee and free FICO® credit scores each month make it the perfect first card to start building your credit.
- No annual fee, no late fee on your first late payment, no overlimit fee and no foreign transaction fee*.
- 2% cash back automatically on up to $1,000 in combined purchases at restaurants and gas stations every quarter - no sign-ups needed*. 1% cash back on all your other purchases.
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 6 months - then a variable purchase APR applies, currently 12.99% - 21.99%.
- APR won't go up if you pay late.
- Free FICO® Credit Score online and on your monthly statement so you can track your score's progress*.
- Free text alerts can remind you when your payment is due. And free mobile app helps you stay on top of your account.
- U.S. based customer service - anytime, day and night.
- *Click "Apply" to see rates, rewards and other information.
Journey℠ Student Rewards from Capital One®
Tons of benefits, a nice rewards program, and no annual fee... sounds like a winning combo, right? As part of the Visa Platinum benefits, you will get access to the extended warranty program for eligible purchases and a 24-hour hotline for travel and emergency assistance. It's the perfect credit card for college students because it offers access to your monthly credit score for free.
- Earn 1% cash back on every purchase, every month—and pay no annual fee
- For every month you pay on time, you receive a 25% bonus — that's a total of 1.25% cash back
- Get access to a higher credit line after making your first 5 monthly payments on time
- Brighten your financial future with responsible credit use — and get rewarded along the way
- Fraud coverage if your card is lost or stolen
- There's no limit to the amount of cash back you can earn, and rewards don't expire
- Pick the monthly payment due date that works best for you