- Capsule Card Reviews: Unlike the generic credit card feeds you will find on other websites, we provide brief insight into the benefits each card. More in-depth reviews can be found in our Popular Card Reviews section located on the home page.
- Sign-up Promotions: When available, these reviews will include links to sign-up promotions for a given card.
Cash Back Credit Card Reviews for 2014
(this list is constantly updated with the latest featured offers from our advertising partners)
The Chase Freedom card allows you to earn 5% on up to $6,000 in category spending per year (up to $1,500 per quarter for eligible purchases when you enroll). This is a very high cap relative to other programs in the marketplace. All other spending earns a full 1%. There is no annual fee, which makes Freedom a compelling value. Plus, you'll receive a signup bonus of $100 after making only $500 in the first three months of account opening.
- Earn a $100 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn a $25 Bonus after you add your first authorized user and make a purchase within this same 3-month period
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers. After the intro period, a variable APR of 13.99%-22.99%
- 5% Cash Back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases between July 1 and September 30, 2014 at gas stations and Kohl's®
- You'll enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months like gas stations, restaurants and Amazon.com. It's free and easy to activate your bonus each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% Cash Back on all other purchases
- No annual fee and rewards never expire
BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Credit Card
This is by far my favorite credit card from Bank of America. You could earn high cash back year 'round in a couple very popular categories: 3% on gas and 2% at grocery stores for the first $1,500 in combined gas and grocery store purchases each quarter. 1% on all other purchases. There are no changing categories and you do not need to signup every quarter for the rewards – you earn them automatically and they don't expire.
Do you already have a bank account with Bank of America? If so, then this credit card can be even more rewarding for you because there is a 10% customer bonus when you redeem cash back directly into your Bank of America® checking or savings account. For example, $100 worth of cash back would turn into $110 when redeemed that way. With the 10% customer bonus that can be like earning 3.3% on gas, 2.2% at grocery stores, and 1.1% on your other purchases... it's very lucrative!
Right now it also comes with a cash rewards bonus offer only available online! If you spend at least $500 on purchases within the first 90 days of opening the account you will receive a $100 cash rewards bonus. You also get a 0% introductory APR for 12 billing cycles for purchases and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days. After that the regular APR is 12.99% – 22.99% Variable. There's no annual fee.
Go here for the secure application to get this offer
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
For some types of spending you want higher rewards all year long. Blue Cash Preferred from American Express, a CreditCardForum advertising partner, does exactly that on three every day categories of spending. Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. The $75 annual fee provides all of the following:
- Get $150 back after you spend $1,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. You will receive $150 back in the form of a statement credit.
- Hassle-free cash back: no enrollment required, the same great reward categories year-round.
- Earn Cash Back: 6% US supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases, 3% US gas stations & select US dept stores, 1% on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
- A credit card that gives you cash back with a 0% Intro APR Offer on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.
- After that, your APR will be a variable rate, currently 12.99%-21.99% based on your creditworthiness and other factors.
- Terms and restrictions apply.
Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard®
After snagging an amazing sign-up bonus worth $440, you can earn rewards worth 2.2% on all purchases! This is one of the most lucrative sign-up and across the board reward earning structures in the market. The only caveat is that you must redeem your "cash back" to offset travel expenses, but that can be virtually any travel expense. For many of us, that's a great place to apply earned rebates. Instead of straight cash back you earn 2 "miles" per dollar spent and get an extra 10% when redeemed - a very nice value,
- Unlimited 2.2% rewards earned on every dollar you spend: you earn 2 miles per dollar on every purchase. Plus, when you redeem your miles you get 10% of them back to use again (i.e. if you redeem 40,000 miles, you'll get 4,000 back). When combined, that's a 2.2% value.
- Use miles to pay for virtually any travel purchase. That includes any airline, hotel, resort, cruise, train or car rental purchase. Simply make the purchase and then redeem your miles for statement credits to offset all or a portion of the purchase.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- No cap on the amount of rewards you can earn.
- No annual fee for your first year, $89 after that.
- 40,000 bonus miles (that's worth $440!) – You only have to spend $3,000 in the first 90 days from account opening to get the bonus.
Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card
There are several cash back rewards cards that rebate extra percentages on certain categories of spending, but for all other purchases, they typically pay only 1% cash back. That's a predicament because the reality is most of your spending will be stuck at 1%. The best way to solve that problem is to earn more cash back on all spending – that's the simple solution this card offers.
- Apply toll-free by calling 877-525-5805
- One-time $100 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within the first 3 months
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day
- No rotating categories and no sign ups needed to earn cash rewards
- Redeem the cash back you earn for any amount, any time
- Your cash back doesn't expire
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers until May 2015
- Balance transfers also have a 0% intro APR until May 2015, a 3% fee applies to each balance transferred
- No annual fee
Discover it® chrome
The Discover it chrome makes earning extra rewards a snap with no category signups – just use your card for everyday purchases and get a full 2% cash back on restaurants and gasoline purchases on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter, and 1% cash back on all other spending. No annual fee.
- 2% cash back automatically on up to $1,000 in combined purchases at restaurants and gas stations every quarter - no sign-ups needed*. 1% cash back on all you other purchases.
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 14 month - then a variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% - 22.99%. A 3% fee applies to each transferred balance.
- APR won't go up if you pay late.
- No annual fee, no overlimit fee, no late fee on your first late payment and no foreign transaction fee*.
- Free FICO® Credit Score online and on your monthly statement so you can track your score's progress*.
- Each Discover purchase is monitored. If it's unusual, you're alerted by e-mail, phone or text-and never responsible for unauthorized Discover card purchases.
- U.S. based customer service - anytime, day and night.
- *See rates, rewards, free FICO® Credit Score terms and other info by clicking "Apply".
TrueEarnings® Card from Costco and American Express
Many Costco shoppers swear by this card. The TrueEarnings Card from Costco and American Express, a CreditCardForum advertising partner, carries no annual fee for Costco members. Don't have a membership? Then you can signup for a Costco Gold Star Membership for $55 per year during the application process. Here's a review of the rewards program:
- 3% at U.S. gas stations (including gas at Costco) up to $4,000 per year in purchases (1% thereafter).
- 2% at U.S. restaurants, with no rewards cap in this category.
- 2% on eligible travel purchases, including at Costco. There is no rewards cap for this category either.
- 1% cash back on your other purchases, including at Costco, without limit.
- Terms and limitations apply. You will receive your cash back annually in the form of a reward coupon.
- 0% intro APR on purchases for the first 6 months. After that, the regular APR is 15.24% variable.
- Terms and restrictions apply.
The bottom line is that when you use a debit card or run-of-the-mill credit card, it's like throwing away money because you might be missing out on better rewards. Even the average consumer might be able to save over a hundred dollars per year by simply using the right cards. For those with above-average spending, the annual cash back can easily run into the thousands with some of the programs. Apply for a credit card today and start racking up your cash rebate!
Editorial Disclosure: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airline or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the bank, credit card issuer, airline or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.