- Honest Reviews: Unlike the generic credit card feeds you will find on other websites, these reviews expose the bad along with the good, so you can know the truth about each card.
- Most Generous Offers: When available, these reviews will include links to the best signup promotions out there for a given card.
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
For some types of spending you want higher rewards all year long. Blue Cash Preferred does exactly that on three practical categories of spending. Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. The $75 annual fee is well worth it considering you get all of the following:
- 6% at US supermarkets – The first $6,000 of purchases per year within this category qualifies for the 6%, after that it's 1%. If you spend an average of $500/month, you will earn $360 per year on just this category alone!
3% at US gas stations – That's like saving 12 cents per gallon on $4 gas. There's no rewards cap for this category.
3% at select US department stores – Get that on clothes, appliances & everything else you buy there. No rewards cap.
1% on all your other purchases.
Terms and limitations apply.
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, then a variable rate, currently 12.99% to 21.99%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors.
- Bonus: Earn 100 Reward Dollars plus get one year of Amazon Prime. After making $1,000 in purchases with your new card in the first 3 months you get the 100 Reward Dollars (redeemable for a $100 statement credit). Plus get one year of Amazon Prime after you sign up for a new membership with your card and meet the spending requirement in the same time period.
- Terms and Restrictions Apply.
A couple years ago Chase re-vamped the rewards program on this card, increasing the cash back from 3% all the way up to 5%. Now you earn 5% on up to $6,000 in category spending per year (up to $1,500 per quarter when you enroll). This is a high rewards ceiling compared to similar programs. Beyond that amount you still earn a full 1%. The built-in benefits combined with no annual fee makes it one of the most attractive cashback cards available.
- 5% cash back in popular categories. Every quarter you can enroll and earn a full 5% on 2 or 3 useful spending categories.
- Between Jan 1st and March 31st 2014, earn 5% at gas stations, Starbucks®, and movie theaters on up to $1,500 spent.
- 1% on all other purchases. This is unlimited, without any tiers or caps.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months on both purchases AND balance transfers. After that, the variable APR is 13.99%-22.99%.
- Limited-time $200 bonus using the link below. Simply make $500 in purchases during the first 3 months from account opening to get this (this is the best bonus deal they've had all year).
Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard – $440 Bonus Value
Earn rewards worth 2.2% on all purchases! If you don’t mind spending your cash back on travel purchases, then this credit card is your best bet for non-category spending. You earn "miles" which are worth 1 cent each. For example, you can redeem 11,400 miles to pay for a $114 hotel room. So while you can’t redeem your miles for cash back to use on anything, you can redeem them for cash back to offset virtually any travel purchase.
- Unlimited 2.2% rewards earned on every dollar you spend: you earn 2 miles per dollar on every purchase. Plus, when you redeem your miles you get 10% of them back to use again (i.e. if you redeem 40,000 miles, you'll get 4,000 back). When combined, that’s a 2.2% value.
- Use miles to pay for virtually any travel purchase. That includes any airline, hotel, resort, cruise, train or car rental purchase. Simply make the purchase and then redeem your miles for statement credits to offset all or a portion of the purchase.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- No cap on the amount of rewards you can earn.
- No annual fee for your first year, $89 after that.
- 40,000 bonus miles (that's worth $440!) – You only have to spend $1,000 in the first 90 days from account opening to get the bonus. This is only being offered for a very limited-time.
- 0% intro APR on purchases for the first 12 months after account opening. After the promotion ends, the variable APR you receive is based on creditworthiness. Currently, it’s 14.99% or 18.99%.
BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Credit Card
This is by far my favorite credit card from Bank of America. You could earn high cash back year ‘round in a couple very popular categories: 3% on gas and 2% at grocery stores for the first $1,500 in combined gas and grocery store purchases each quarter. 1% on all other purchases. There are no changing categories and you do not need to signup every quarter for the rewards – you earn them automatically and they don't expire.
Do you already have a bank account with Bank of America? If so, then this credit card can be even more rewarding for you because there is a 10% customer bonus when you redeem cash back directly into your Bank of America® checking or savings account. For example, $100 worth of cash back would turn into $110 when redeemed that way. With the 10% customer bonus that’s like earning 3.3% on gas, 2.2% at grocery stores, and 1.1% on your other purchases… it’s very lucrative!
Right now it also comes with a cash rewards bonus offer. If you spend at least $500 on purchases within the first 90 days of opening the account you will receive a $100 cash rewards bonus. You also get a 0% introductory APR for 12 billing cycles for purchases and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days. After that the regular APR is 12.99% – 22.99% Variable*. There's no annual fee.
Go here for the secure application to get this offer
This card was just launched for 2013 and it’s their best one yet. Why? Because their older More card comes with tiered rewards on non-category spending; it only gives 1/4% on the first $3k spent annually. However the new Discover it gives a full 1% on all other purchases, all the time. Even if you have the other cash back credit cards mentioned above, this is a must-have due to its unique rewards program.
- 5% cash back on categories that you can signup for each quarter. And in my opinion right now is the best quarter of the year because between Oct 1st and Dec 31st, you get 5% cash back on ALL online purchases (up to $1,500 worth!)
- Full 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- An additional 5% to 20% cash back from nearly 200 popular online retailers when you click thru to their websites from your online Discover account. Examples include 5% at Walmart, 5% at Apple, 10% at 1800Contacts, 5% at Target, and many others. This cash back is unlimited and on top of your regular rewards. Without a doubt it's the best credit card for online shopping.
- No annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, no pay-by-phone fee, no late fee on 1st late payment & no APR hikes for paying late.
- Free FICO score every month, shown on your statement. This is your real FICO, not a FAKO!
- 0% intro APR for 14 months on both purchases and balance transfers. Then the variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99%-22.99%. *Click "Apply" to see rates, rewards, and free FICO® Credit Score terms and other info.
Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card
Many cash back cards give high rewards on certain categories of spending, but for all other purchases, often times they only give 1% cash back. That’s a predicament, because a huge chunk of your spending may only be earning 1%. The best way to solve that problem is by using this newly launched credit card from Capital One®.
- One-time $100 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within the first 3 months
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day
- No rotating categories and no sign ups needed to earn cash rewards
- Redeem the cash back you earn for any amount, any time
- Your cash back doesn't expire
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers until December 2014
- No annual fee
Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard®
Headquartered in London, Barclays is among Europe's largest and most prestigious banks. But lately, their U.S. division – Barclaycard – has really been making a splash and giving the American banks a run for their money. In particular, this is a top credit card for cash back in certain categories of spending if you need a MasterCard (something that is accepted everywhere).
- 2% cash back at gas stations, grocery stores, and utility purchases. Technically you earn 2 points per dollar spent in these categories, but since every 2,500 points is redeemable for a $25 statement credit, these points are just like cash back.
- 1% cash back on everything else you buy.
- No annual fee
- Special Bonus Offer: 10,000 points (redeemable for a $100 statement credit) after making just $750 in purchases within your first 3 months. Plus, you also get a 0% Intro APR for 12 months on both purchases and balance transfers.
The above offer is for those with good to excellent credit. Not you? Well there is an alternate version designed for people with lower credit scores (average/fair credit). It does NOT come with the bonus points nor the 0% offer, but aside from that, it has the same rewards program and benefits. Try for this version if you have fair or limited credit.
BankAmericard® Better Balance Rewards™ Credit Card
Do you ever carry a balance? If so, pay attention to this review! Bank of America has created a very unique credit card for cash back because this actually rewards you for paying down debt responsibly. Here’s how it works: If you pay on time and more than the minimum payment each month in the calendar quarter, you will receive $25 in cash rewards. That means over the course of one full year you can earn up to $100. There's no annual fee.
But it gets even better if you have another qualifying account. If so, you will get an extra $5 bonus each quarter ($25 + $5 = up to $30 per quarter). In total, that means you could earn up to $120 every year. These rewards will be automatically credited to your card’s balance. Or if you prefer, you can request them in the form of a direct deposit to your checking or savings account. This is arguably the best choice out there for anyone who carries a balance, yet still wants to earn rewards.
You get a 0% introductory APR for 12 billing cycles on purchases and qualifying balance transfers* when you apply using the link below. After that, the regular APR is 11.99% - 21.99% Variable*.
Go here for the secure application to get this offer
TrueEarnings® Card from Costco and American Express
I have a number of friends who are diehard Costco shoppers and swear by this card. One of them earns more than a thousand per year in cash back from it! As long as you have a paid-up Costco membership, there is no annual fee for this credit card. Don't have a membership? Then you can signup for a Costco Gold Star Membership for $55 per year during the application process. Here’s a review of the rewards program:
- 3% at US gas stations, including gas at Costco, on up to $4,000 per year in purchases (1% thereafter).
- 2% at US restaurants. There is no cap on how much you can earn in this category.
- 2% on eligible travel purchases, including at Costco. There is no rewards cap for this category either.
- 1% cash back on your other purchases. You even get this at Costco, which is unique because some other AmEx cards only earn you 0.25% at Costco because it's a warehouse store.
- Terms and limitations apply; You will receive your cash back annually in the form of a reward coupon.
- 0% intro APR on purchases for the first 6 months. After that, the regular APR is 15.24% variable.
- Terms and restrictions apply.
The bottom line is that when you use a debit card or run-of-the-mill credit card, it’s like throwing away money because you might be missing out on better rewards. Even the average consumer might be able to save over a hundred dollars per year by simply using the right cards. For those with above-average spending, the annual cash back can easily run into the thousands with some of the programs. Apply for a credit card today and start raking up your cash rebate!