When it comes to picking out a new credit card, it’s easy for us to get preoccupied – and even obsessed – with the reward programs, while ignoring the benefits (or lack thereof) that come with the card.
That’s a major mistake.
Why? Because the potential value of cardholder benefits can easily trump what you will ever earn in cash back or airline miles.
Just think about it … let’s say you bought a new TV for $999 with a card that earned 2 percent cash back (about $20 in rewards). But then a few weeks later, the price on the TV dropped by a hundred dollars to $899. However, the store won’t let you return/exchange it to recoup the difference.
The result? You gained $20, but lost $100 because the price changed after you bought it!
That is EXACTLY why everyone needs a World MasterCard in their wallet. With it, you receive a benefit called price protection. Here’s a summary of what it is and how it works…
- Price Protection – If you purchased an eligible item with your World MasterCard and find a lower price on it within 60 days from the date of purchase, you may qualify to be reimbursed for the price difference. Obviously Terms & Conditions apply, this is just a summary of the benefit. This is a very rare benefit that you won’t find on many cards these days! Most Visa Signature cards do not come with it. My Business Gold Card that has a $175 annual fee doesn’t even have it. But World MasterCard offers it on all their cards.
And the perks and privileges don’t stop there. Here’s a quick overview to guide you through all the other benefits you get with World MasterCard.
- Worldwide Acceptance: More than 32 million merchants worldwide accept MasterCard for payment. Its wide acceptability is especially important when dining at restaurants…
- Concierge Services: With this cardmember perk, you can call them up to get assistance with all sorts of requests, ranging from simple tasks like dinner reservations and recommendations, to more complicated things like hunting down hard-to-find concert tickets. The MasterCard concierge staff is specifically trained to handle all sorts of requests you throw their way.
- MasterCard Airport Concierge™: Now this is a unique perk I haven’t seen on any other credit card yet. At over 450 airports worldwide, you can call them for a personal “meet and greet” agent to escort you through the airport on departure, arrival and/or any connecting flights. As a younger and physically fit guy, admittedly, I probably wouldn’t use this benefit for myself. But next time I fly my grandparents or younger cousins out to visit me, this could be very useful for them. In fact, I’ll probably add them as secondary cardholders to my account so they can use this whenever needed.
- MasterCard Global Service: Traveling somewhere and end up in a financial dilemma? With MasterCard Global Service, you can call to get help with things like obtaining emergency cash, getting to an ATM, and other questions on your account. Some of the key freephone MasterCard Global Service telephone numbers are:
United Kingdom: 0800-96-4767
United States (including all 50 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico) and Canada: 1-800-MC-ASSIST (1-800-622-7747)
(Note: This is just a phone number list for some of the more frequently visited countries. Many more toll-free numbers are available for other places.)
But wait, there’s even more…
I’ll save the detailed definitions of these because you’re probably already familiar with most of them:
- Purchase Assurance Coverage – Protects eligible purchases made with the card for up to 90 days against theft and some forms of damage.
- Extended Warranty – On eligible items purchased with the card that have an original manufacturer’s (or U.S. store brand) warranty of up to 12 months, MasterCard will mirror the coverage for double the length of time – up to 12 additional months.
- Satisfaction Guarantee – If you are dissatisfied with an eligible product you paid for with the card and the store refuses to let you return it within the first 60 days, you might be eligible for a refund from MasterCard for the cost of the product (up to $250).
- Travel Insurance Benefits – World MasterCard credit cards come jam-packed with various built-in coverages on eligible purchases: Car Rental Collision Damage Waiver Insurance, Baggage Delay Insurance, Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance, Lost or Damaged Luggage Insurance, Travel Accident Insurance, Trip Cancellation Insurance.
- Luxury travel benefits – Carrying a World MasterCard can automatically get you perks when you travel. If your hotel participates in MasterCard’s Luxury Hotels and Resorts program, you could receive a free room upgrade (to the next higher room category), complimentary breakfast for two, a welcome basket, early check-in and late check-out, depending on availability at the property at which you’re staying.
For all of the above listed benefits, please refer to the card’s issuing bank for complete coverage terms and conditions or call the MasterCard Assistance Center at 1-800-MC-ASSIST (1-800-622-7747). As you would of course expect, there are rules and restrictions for each benefit.
Even if you have other credit cards you’re perfectly happy with, I would strongly urge you to add a World MasterCard to your arsenal… because some of these benefits you can’t get with anyone else.
And guess what? Right now there is a card – the Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard – that gives you travel rewards worth 2.2 percent on every purchase. It works like this… you get 2 miles per dollar spent and each mile equals 1 cent in statement credits to offset virtually any travel purchase. And since you get back 10 percent of your miles to re-use after your redeem them, the net result is a 2.2 percent value on your spending.
Updated March 7, 2014