Want to earn a few bucks toward your next Uber ride? Uber is reintroducing its offers program (Visa Local Offers), which gives you automatic rebates into your Uber account when you spend at partner stores and restaurants.
Here’s how the program works and how you can get the most out of it.
How it works
Visa Local Offers works pretty much like other card-linked deals programs:
- Link a card to the program. In this case, you’ll need to link a Visa card to your Uber account. You can link a debit card or credit card, but not Visa gift cards
- Find the stores and restaurants that partner with the program.
- Use your linked card to spend money at those stores.
- Earn extra currency in your rewards program (Uber credits toward future rides, in this case).
Partners are subject to change, but you can now currently earn 10 percent rebates at Dunkin’ Donuts, Neiman Marcus, QDOBA, Walgreens and more.
How to sign up
You’ll need the most recent version of the Uber app. Then:
- Link a Visa card (debit or credit) to your Uber account.
- In the Uber app, tap the bottom of the screen to see your messages.
- Scroll down until you see the message about Visa Local Offers.
- Tap “Get Started,” then “Count Me In.”
A good deal?
Assuming you take Uber enough to use up all the credits you earn, this is a good deal. We always like a good double-dipping opportunity, and that’s essentially what this is; you can earn whatever rewards you’d normally get with your Visa card plus 10 percent back to use with Uber. For example, say you have the Capital One Quicksilver and link it to Uber. You’d earn 1.5 percent cash back PLUS a rebate to use with Uber.
We also like how easy it is to use the rebates. You’re not earning extra points or miles. You’re earning cash that you can use at face value toward Uber rides. Earn $3.15, or $30.15, or even more and just reduce the cost of your next ride.