Q: I have seen a lot of commercials lately for a Discover that gives 5% cash back. I am interested in this but am concerned about acceptance. In 2013 is the Discover credit card accepted everywhere?
A: If you haven’t used Discover and aren’t very familiar with the company, you may be surprised to learn these facts about their credit cards:
- Discover cards have been around for over 25 years
- By 2010 it was announced that Discover is now accepted at over 90% of stores/merchants in the United States. And that was a couple years ago, in 2013 it’s even better.
- Even though they’re a 100% American company, Discover is the most widely accepted card in China, even more accepted than Visa and MasterCard. This is because of a deal they have with China UnionPay to accept their cards within that country.
- Acceptance in other countries is growing every year.
If you live in the United States, Discover card is accepted almost everywhere (90% of merchants) so using it won’t be a problem.
Here are some other interesting tidbits about Discover:
- Unlike most credit cards, Discover only uses American customer call centers in places like Utah, New York, and other states. That means you can actually get real assistance when you call customer service.
- Discover is considered to be the pioneer in offering no annual fee cards and rewards. They turned the industry upside down when they began offering them in 1985.
- It is the only credit card accepted by the U.S. Customs Service for paying customs duty
- There are over 50,000,000 Discover cardmembers
Is Discover card accepted everywhere? Well in the United States it’s pretty close to that! With no annual fee and high cash back, it’s definitely something everyone should have.
This post was written or last updated November 7, 2013