Ride a hog? Then the Harley Davidson cards may be right up your alley. Here’s what you need to know about the pros and cons that come with them. There are 3 different credit cards from Harley. First let’s take a look at what they have in common:
- Hotel & Motel Burglary Reimbursement – When a room is charged to your Harley Davidson credit card, there’s up to $1,000 coverage on personal property if the room is burglarized.
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement – Only applies if you’re a ticketed passenger on eligible “Common Carrier” travel (like a passenger plane, train, bus, ship, etc). The ticket must have been paid for using the credit card. Up to $5,000 in coverage.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver – Secondary coverage when renting eligible vehicles. Go here to learn more about rental car coverage.
- Purchase Security – A benefit found on many Visa cards. Gives up to $500 in coverage on qualifying purchases if they’re stolen or “damaged due to fire, vandalism, accidentally discharged water” during first 90 days.
Now here’s what’s different about each of these credit cards…
1. Harley Davidson Visa Signature Card
This card gives the best rewards and benefits, but you also need a top-notch credit score to qualify. There’s no annual fee.
Rewards: 3 points per dollar at H-D dealers, 2 points at gas stations, restaurants, bar and lodging merchants, 1 point elsewhere
Benefits: In addition to the above there is roadside dispatch for your motorcycle or car (the call is free but you still have to pay for the actual roadside assistance), Visa Signature concierge, travel accident insurance (during Common Carrier travel only), the card’s picture can be customized.
2. Harley Davidson High Performance Visa Card
Not as many benefits as the Harley Visa Signature. This is for average credit scores.
Rewards: 1 point per dollar. There are no bonus point categories.
Benefits: Like the card above there’s insurance for common carrier travel only. The picture can also be customized.
3. Harley Davidson Secured Credit Card
Have bad credit and can’t get approved for a card? Then a secured credit card is almost guaranteed.
Rewards: 1 point per dollar. No bonus categories.
Benefits: Aside from what’s mentioned above, this is a way to re-build credit. There’s no annual fee which is a pleasant surprise for this type of card.
The Visa Signature Harley Davidson credit card packs good rewards and some nice benefits. The next one down, the High Performance card, only gives 1x points on everything. The secured credit card from Harley Davidson is unique because it gives rewards and a few benefits, which are things most secured cards don’t offer.
Alternatives To Consider?
Written/updated for 2013