Q: I heard that the Platinum from Discover has been permanently cancelled. Is that true? What is the highest level you can get now when you apply?
A: Guess what? Even if you could still get it, you would not want it!
This card was offered throughout most of last decade, before they came out with their 5% cash back program. Discover Platinum only gave 0.25% (that’s 1/4 of a percent!) on the first $3,000 you spent each year. For spending beyond that amount, you earned 1% and there were no bonus categories.
As reward credit cards become more competitive, Discover phased this one out. The application hasn’t been available for years and existing cardholders (presumably all of them) have been converted to their newer programs.
Discover’s line of cards are called it and they offer a number of different cash back reward structures. Unlike the past, they don’t give it the Gold or Platinum label. There are no levels.
However make no mistake about it, there’s nothing basic about this new card. It offers way more benefits than anything previously available. You get all of these perks for no additional cost:
- Extended Product Warranty – On purchases made with the card, Discover will automatically give you extended warranty coverage of up to 1 additional year on warranties of 36 months or less.
- Purchase Protection – For 90 days from the purchase date, if the item is stolen or damaged you will be automatically covered for up to $500.
- Price Protection – Don’t you hate it when you buy a new TV or computer only to see it go on sale afterward? With this perk, you will be refunded the difference of up to $500 if you see a lower advertised price on an item you bought within 90 days.
- Return Protection – This covers you when a store won’t accept returns. If that happens and your item is still new, you can return it during the first 90 days to Discover for up to a $500 refund.
- Auto Rental Insurance – Covers collision damage for eligible rental vehicles and circumstances.
- Flight Accident Insurance – Up to $500,000 of coverage on eligible airline tickets purchased with your card.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
Disclaimer: The above list is a summary only. Consult customer service for details, rules, and exclusions.
And those are just the benefits! I haven’t even got into the rewards program, which for the Discover it® – New! Double Cash Back your first year card earns you 5% on categories when you sign up. All other purchases are 1%. The old Discover Platinum card had a much less lucrative rewards structure.
Conclusion? The fact that you can’t get their old Gold or Platinum is a good thing, because their newer “it” card is a thousand times better.
Written or last updated August 13, 2015