This offer is no longer available. The following information is for reference only.
The Discover it® Card was launched a couple years ago and was a dramatic improvement over its predecessor, the Discover More Card. It’s an exceptional cash-back card, and many hardcore reward seekers who routinely collect tons of airline and hotel points feel the Discover it is worth a place in their wallets for its rewards-earning prowess. It might also be a good choice for those interested in the simplicity of a single card to fill their rewards needs.
As of August 2015, there are several ‘it’ cards on the market: The original ‘it’ card (which is what we’ll focus on in this review); the Discover it chrome card, the Discover it cards for Students and the Discover it Miles card.
When it comes to the original ‘it’ card, this is the offer available:
- You also get a 0% intro for 6 months on purchases. After the intro periods, the APR is 10.99 percent to 22.99 percent Variable*
*Please click the links to see rates, rewards and free FICO Credit Score terms and other info.
- 5 percent cash back on categories – The “it” credit card gives 5 percent cash back in popular categories that change throughout the year, such as restaurants, home improvement stores, department stores and more. You earn the full 5 percent on spending up to the quarterly maximum (typically that’s $1,500 in bonus category spending per quarter). For the third quarter of 2015 (July 1 through Sept. 30), the card is offering 5 percent cash back on up to $1,500 at home improvement stores, department stores and Amazon.com.
- 1 percent cash back on all other eligible purchases.
- Extra discounts and cash-back bonuses through Discover Deals – Discover’s portal has the potential to be very lucrative. You can use your card online and in-store with retailers, restaurants and travel providers and earn instant savings, statement credit or an additional cash-back bonus.
- No more redemption minimums – Discover eliminated its minimum redemption thresholds for direct deposits and statement credits in November 2014. In the past, you had to wait until you had $50 accumulated before you could cash out. Now, you can redeem for any amount. Minimums for gift cards may still apply.
You also get better benefits…
- Almost no fees of any kind – No annual fee, no fee for first late payment, no over-limit fee, no fee for payments by phone and no foreign transaction fees. There are also no APR hikes for late payments.
- Free FICO® Score Every Month – You get your genuine TransUnion FICO credit score for free on your statement every month. Because almost every credit score website gives imitators, the ability to get your genuine FICO without paying is a great perk. FICO scores usually cost $20 each. To get your complete FICO picture, you’d still need to pay $20 each for your Experian and Equifax FICOs, but having your TransUnion FICO for free every month is a very useful snapshot.
- Flexibility – You can choose your own due date and you have until midnight EST to pay by phone or online.
- Unique design – The Discover it card prints all of the card information on the back.
- “Freeze It” feature – This acts like an on/off switch. If you’ve misplaced your card (and aren’t sure if it’s gone for good), you can freeze it and block any new purchases. If you find your card, you can unfreeze it. If you don’t, you can replace the card.
It’s worth pointing out that merchant acceptance of Discover is improving in the U.S. You may be surprised to hear that they are now accepted at more than 8 million merchant locations nationwide and at 94 percent of the top 1,000 online retailers.
Updated July 30, 2015