Whether it’s fishing, hunting, or camping, Bass Pro Shops has it all. Heck, we even bought one of their pontoon boats for sale a few summers back. Whether your purchases are large or small, you may have been asked to fill out a Bass Pro Shops credit card application… but is that a good idea or not?
Let’s review the pros and cons of their Visa card. I’ve updated this list for 2013…
- Mediocre Interest Rates – At the time of writing the APRs ranged from 12.99% to 20.99% depending on your credit. This range isn’t horrible, but you certainly wouldn’t want to pay that kind of interest rate on a big purchase like a bass tracker boat!
- Not The Best Rewards – The 4% on Bass Pro Shops branded merchandise (like Bass Pro Shops brand, RedHead, Offshore Angler, etc.) is fairly good. However the 2% you get on other purchases from them is disappointing for a store card. The 1% you earn elsewhere is typical these days.
- Not The Best Signup Offer – It is nice to see that they were giving a $50 gift card for giving their credit card, but there are a lot better promotional offers out there. In fact, there are a handful of cards that give you double that – a $100 bonus – just for signing up. So while the Bass Pro Shops credit card offer is good, it’s not the best.
- Lack of Other Store Benefits – A lot of store affiliate credit cards I see throw in things like free shipping, free monogramming, etc. for cardmembers, however I see no mention of any special store benefits like this for the Bass Pro Shops card.
- No Annual Fee
- Rewards – The card has a decent rewards program. It gives 1% on regular purchases, 2% on purchases at their stores (4% on the Bass Pro Shops branded merchandise). The points can be redeemed for store purchases, catalog purchases, or online purchases. They can be redeemed when there is $10 or more in accumulated rewards on the account.
- Conservation Efforts – They say that every purchase results in a charitable contribution by Bass Pro Shops and the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, up to $1M per year. Unfortunately they don’t go into details on this.
- Signup offer – At the time of this review they were offering a $50 gift card when you apply for a Bass Pro Shops credit card and get approved.
The Bass Pro Shops Visa card isn’t bad, but here’s a better way to save there…
Do you have a Discover credit card? Then you have free access to the ShopDiscover Portal – a service exclusive for Discover cardmembers that gives them big savings at various online retailers. As you can see above, you can get a full 5% cash back bonus for online purchases from Bass Pro Shops plus tons of other retailers!
Don’t have a Discover card? Then check out our review of the high cash back, no annual fee Discover it signup offer.