In all honesty, most of the American Express cards have such good reward programs, they’re worth getting even without a signup bonus. In fact the last two AmEx cards I acquired (Blue Cash and Simply Cash) were at a time when there wasn’t even a promotion being offered… I didn’t care because the rewards/benefits were that good.
But what’s even better is getting some extra cash or bonus points along with your application. For November and December 2013, here are the current American Express card offers that I recommend checking out. Please note that there are Terms and Restrictions applicable to every card on this list – click a card’s link for more info.
1. Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card
This is without a doubt among the best airline credit cards on the market. The miles are good, but it’s really the perks and freebies that offer you a lot of value.
- Earn 1 SkyMiles per dollar on eligible purchases, 2 SkyMiles per dollar on Delta purchases.
- 1st checked bag is free for yourself and additional passengers traveling under your same reservation (maximum nine waivers per reservation). Think about it… for each passenger that has a checked bag, that’s a round-trip savings of $50. For a family of four, that’s $200!
- Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- Discounted admission to Delta Sky Clubs. Get this for yourself and up to 2 traveling companions.
And with this current AmEx offer, it’s just too good to pass up:
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1K in purchases on your new Card within first 3 months.
- $50 statement credit if you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within first 3 months.
- Terms and Restrictions Apply.
- Here is the link to get this offer
2. Blue Cash Preferred
When it comes to cash back, it’s hard to beat this credit card. Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. You get the following:
- 6% cash back on the first $6,000 spent per year at US supermarkets; 1% after that.
- 3% at US gas stations and select US department stores.
- 1% on your other purchases.
- Terms and limitations apply.
Think about it… if you spend $100/week at supermarkets, you will earn $312 in a year for just that category alone! Considering that the annual fee is only $75, even the low/moderate spender can win big with this one. From my experience this card hasn’t always came with a promotional offer, but right now American Express is running a nice incentive:
Apply here to earn 100 Reward Dollars, plus get one year of Amazon Prime. The 100 Reward Dollars are awarded after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. You can get year of Amazon Prime after you sign up for a new membership with your Card and meet the spending requirement during that same time period. You also will get 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, then a variable rate, currently 12.99% to 21.99%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors. Terms and Restrictions Apply.
3. Premier Rewards Gold Card
With a $175 annual membership fee, this charge card definitely isn’t for everyone. But if you have a higher income and do a decent amount of traveling, then the benefits and rewards are worth it.
The benefits are extensive and you can check out my review to learn about them. Meanwhile for the rewards, here’s a quick rundown of what you get:
- 3x points on flights booked with airlines.
- 2x points at US gas stations.
- 2x points at US supermarkets.
- 1x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Terms and limitations apply.
The number of points you’re earning is not that special. But what is special is what you can do with them!
Only American Express Membership Rewards points let you transfer them directly to around a dozen airline frequent flyer and hotel loyalty programs, often on a 1 for 1 conversion. This can make your points worth a lot more, since true frequent flyer miles usually have value above 1 cent each. For example, transfer 25,000 points to Delta and get 25,000 SkyMiles.
Here is the best promotion currently available:
Earn 25,000 bonus points + get $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $175 (Bonus given after you spend $2K during your first three months of Card membership).
4. Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card
Starwood Hotels include The W, Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridian, St. Regis, and a number of specialized high-end boutique properties.
If you stay at these places regularly, it’s worth getting the card. But even if you don’t, it’s still worth considering. Why? Because the funny thing is that this hotel card is also the best airline card. Thru the Star Alliance you can convert your Starpoints to frequent flyer miles on nearly 30 airlines, usually on a 1:1 conversion. This includes Delta, American, US Airways, Lufthansa, Alaska, JetBlue, Virgin Atlantic, British Airways, and more.
Right now this American Express promotion features enough bonus Starpoints for a weekend getaway at a Category 4 Hotel. Alternately, convert the points to frequent flyer miles. The flexibility makes this the ultimate travel rewards program. $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $65.
For the bonus, you earn 10,000 bonus Starpoints after your first purchase and another 15,000 after you spend $5,000 within the first 6 months of Cardmembership. Considering that $5k spread out over 6 months is an average of around $834 per month, it should be easy to do.
5. Blue Cash Everyday
This is similar to the first card mentioned, but this one has no annual fee. Because of that your cash back isn’t as high, but it’s still quite lucrative. As with the other version, your cash back is in the form of Reward Dollars, which you can redeem for statement credits.
- 3% cash back on the first $6,000 of purchases at US supermarkets; 1% after that.
- 2% cash back at US gas stations and select US department stores
- 1% cash back on your other purchases.
- Terms and limitations apply.
With the high price of gas and crazy grocery prices, these are ideal categories that you want to have. On a historical basis, good American Express promotions are hard to find for this card, but you can find one here:
Apply now and earn 50 Reward Dollars, plus get one year of Amazon Prime after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. You can get one year of Amazon Prime after you sign up for a new membership with your Card and meet the spending requirement in the same time period. You also get 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, then a variable rate, currently 12.99% to 21.99%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors. Terms and Restrictions Apply.
Written or last updated November 19, 2013