American Express offers a number of travel benefits to cardholders, some of the best being their hotel discounts. Here’s an overview of what they offer:
Hotel Discounts For Business Cards
Business credit cards and charge cards offer hotel discounts through the American Express Open Savings program. Here is a list of participating hotels:
- Hyatt: 5% discount -OR- 2 additional Membership Rewards points per dollar speent
- Marriot: 5% discount (at Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites) (no longer participating as of summer 2013)
These “Open Savings” are automatic. There is no need to enroll in order to receive. Simply pay using your business card with Open Savings and the rebate will be automatically reflected on your billing statement. Best of all, these AmEx hotel discounts are in addition to any promotions, coupons, or other discounts you used to book your room. If you don’t have an open card, I recommend you check out the one that I use myself.
Hotel Discounts For Consumer Cards
There are a number of American Express rewards, perks, and discounts at hotels with some consumer cards.
- The no annual fee American Express Blue Sky gives cardmembers hotel perks, like guaranteeing every hotel reservation made with the card. In the past (but not currently) they had an offer for free breakfast at JW Marriott and Renaissance Hotels during an eligible weekend stay and a $100.00 credit good towards next stay (to reiterate – it’s no longer offered, I only mention it as an example). You are also earning a nice 1.33% rebate on all spending that can be used to pay for hotel stays (I say 1.33% because you get a $100 statement credit towards travel for every 7,500 points redeemed).
- The Platinum charge card offers the best hotel discounts and perks. Over 700 participating hotels offer Platinum cardholders perks like room upgrades, 4:00 PM late check-outs, complimentary third night stays, free breakfasts, $100 restaurant/spa credits, etc. Participating hotels are upscale establishments, so if you typically stay at first-class hotels, then the $450 annual fee on the AmEx Platinum is certainly worth it.
- American Express hotel discounts are not available on the Starwood AmEx, but you do get generous rewards for spending at Starwood. The exact number of points per dollar you get depends on your Preferred Guest level.
American Express Travel Savings
At any given time there are a number of American Express vacation deals available when you book your trip through AmEx Travel Services. Of course the offers are constantly changing so there’s no use listing them here, but if you are planning a family vacation and plan on staying at a resort-type hotel, then you should give American Express Travel Services a call to see what offers they have available.
*Please note the above discount information is subject to change without notice.