Got my first Amex

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
8 posts
RewardHop
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm
Location: USA

Got my first Amex

Postby RewardHop » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am

Just got approved for a BCE with a $150 bonus cashback after $500 spend in 3 months. Woot!

Alright, now I absolutely must not apply for any credit cards for 9-12 months.
[size=60]
Amex BCE: 3% grocery, 2% gas
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards MC: $25/quarter bonus
Barclaycard Rewards Visa Signature: 2% gas, groceries, utilities
Capital One Quicksilver Visa Signature: 1.5% everything
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: 5% rotating
Citi Forward Visa: 5% restaurants/fastfood, movie theaters, amazon.com
Discover It: 5% rotating
SallieMae MC: 5% Groceries, Gas, Amazon
US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature: 5% electronic stores, restaurants
Sock Drawered: Chase Sapphire, Chase Amazon[/size]


sakhalin
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: West Coast

Postby sakhalin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:46 pm

Congrats! I wish I got that offer. When I applied, the signup bonus was get $100 statement credit for spending $1000 in three months. A week later, I got a pre-approved BCE mail offer for $250 statement credit for spending $1000. D'oh!
AMEX BCE ($20,000), Citi Forward ($4,800), Discover IT ($3,750), BoA Travel Rewards ($1,800)

MoMo
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:46 am
Location: usa

Postby MoMo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:34 pm

RewardHop wrote:Just got approved for a BCE with a $150 bonus cashback after $500 spend in 3 months. Woot!

Alright, now I absolutely must not apply for any credit cards for 9-12 months.


Were you pre-approved for that sign up bonus? I recently did mine too and had the same $100 for spending $1000 in three months as well. Congrats btw!


RewardHop
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm
Location: USA

Postby RewardHop » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:14 pm

sakhalin wrote:Congrats! I wish I got that offer. When I applied, the signup bonus was get $100 statement credit for spending $1000 in three months. A week later, I got a pre-approved BCE mail offer for $250 statement credit for spending $1000. D'oh!


Wow, $250 for BCE would have been awesome. They did have $250 for BCP when I signed up but I dont spend enough on groceries to make up for the $75 AF.

I really wanted the Amex though for the Sync deals.
[size=60]

Amex BCE: 3% grocery, 2% gas

Bank of America Better Balance Rewards MC: $25/quarter bonus

Barclaycard Rewards Visa Signature: 2% gas, groceries, utilities

Capital One Quicksilver Visa Signature: 1.5% everything

Chase Freedom Visa Signature: 5% rotating

Citi Forward Visa: 5% restaurants/fastfood, movie theaters, amazon.com

Discover It: 5% rotating

SallieMae MC: 5% Groceries, Gas, Amazon

US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature: 5% electronic stores, restaurants

Sock Drawered: Chase Sapphire, Chase Amazon[/size]

TheLethargicAge
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:20 pm
Location: Miami, Cuba

Postby TheLethargicAge » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:19 pm

RewardHop wrote:Wow, $250 for BCE would have been awesome. They did have $250 for BCP when I signed up but I dont spend enough on groceries to make up for the $75 AF.

I really wanted the Amex though for the Sync deals.


Use it to buy gift cards at grocery stores. If you spend at least $25 a week at grocery stores, you will offset the annual fee.
Blue Cash Preferred ($20K), Costco TrueEarnings ($8K), Sallie Mae Rewards ($15K), Quicksilver ($15K), AARP Rewards ($15K), Freedom ($15K), Double Cash ($15K), It ($14.5K), Fidelity Investment Rewards ($18K)

RewardHop
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm
Location: USA

Postby RewardHop » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:02 pm

TheLethargicAge wrote:Use it to buy gift cards at grocery stores. If you spend at least $25 a week at grocery stores, you will offset the annual fee.


I spend like $50 a month on groceries lol. My work place (cafeteria) provides lunch and dinner Monday through Thursday.
[size=60]

Amex BCE: 3% grocery, 2% gas

Bank of America Better Balance Rewards MC: $25/quarter bonus

Barclaycard Rewards Visa Signature: 2% gas, groceries, utilities

Capital One Quicksilver Visa Signature: 1.5% everything

Chase Freedom Visa Signature: 5% rotating

Citi Forward Visa: 5% restaurants/fastfood, movie theaters, amazon.com

Discover It: 5% rotating

SallieMae MC: 5% Groceries, Gas, Amazon

US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature: 5% electronic stores, restaurants

Sock Drawered: Chase Sapphire, Chase Amazon[/size]

ncosky290
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Postby ncosky290 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:44 pm

RewardHop wrote:I spend like $50 a month on groceries lol. My work place (cafeteria) provides lunch and dinner Monday through Thursday.


Then buy the gift cards at a local supermarket and get the rewards then use them else where like Best Buy!


RewardHop
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm
Location: USA

Postby RewardHop » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:26 pm

ncosky290 wrote:Then buy the gift cards at a local supermarket and get the rewards then use them else where like Best Buy!


I will use my US Bank Cash+ for 5% at Electronic Stores (including BB) for Amazon GCs.
[size=60]

Amex BCE: 3% grocery, 2% gas

Bank of America Better Balance Rewards MC: $25/quarter bonus

Barclaycard Rewards Visa Signature: 2% gas, groceries, utilities

Capital One Quicksilver Visa Signature: 1.5% everything

Chase Freedom Visa Signature: 5% rotating

Citi Forward Visa: 5% restaurants/fastfood, movie theaters, amazon.com

Discover It: 5% rotating

SallieMae MC: 5% Groceries, Gas, Amazon

US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature: 5% electronic stores, restaurants

Sock Drawered: Chase Sapphire, Chase Amazon[/size]



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests