i welcomed a new Amex member....but for what?

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
11 posts
Kaiokenryu
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:25 am
Location: atlanta

i welcomed a new Amex member....but for what?

Postby Kaiokenryu » Sat May 10, 2014 11:07 pm

Two things:

1. I saw my oldest amex to day at a date of 72. i just turned green with envy. lol....

but this happened also..............

In processing a transaction a customer paid for parts with a PRG. I looked at the MS date.....it was 2013. I told him "Welcome to the membership".

He said: "i didn't sign up for anything".

I said: "your card...you are an AMEX member."

He said: "I didn't sign up for a membership with anyone called amex".

I said. "good day sir....thanks for coming in".

I figured he would go the rest of his life without knowing that someone would understand the perks and benefits of the card he gave me....I wanted to just let him know that it's bigger than being a card. it (used) to mean something.

I'm sure that all he knows is the bill is due in full each month. (shrugs shoulders)


User avatar
Dr.Mark
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:01 pm
Location: London - UK

Postby Dr.Mark » Sun May 11, 2014 5:11 am

OMG! That is utterly ridiculous. But I figure he's not the only one. There's plenty of those geniuses out there.
[font=Times New Roman]American Express PRG[/font] [color=green][NPSL][/color]
[font=Times New Roman]British Airways American Express[/font] [color=green][9000£][/color]
[font=Times New Roman]American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday[/font] [color=green][6000£][/color]
[font=Times New Roman]Barclaycard Platinum[/font] [color=green][16600£][/color]
[font=Times New Roman]Virgin Balance Transfer[/font] [color=green][9600£][/color]

TCL - [color=red]41200£[/color]

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:00 am

Honestly about all it really means these days is backdating, in terms of something tangible for you the member. As far as that "elite" status, hell no one gives my Amex Gold a second glance when I use it. It's just another card to them and obviously doesn't stand out in any way. I don't care that's fine with me, I'm just happy to get in and out, but not sure most really care about that.

thom02099
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:49 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Postby thom02099 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:45 am

Dr.Mark wrote:OMG! That is utterly ridiculous. But I figure he's not the only one. There's plenty of those geniuses out there.


Unfortunately, there are more of "them" out there, than there are of "us", who have some knowledge of credit.
Retired, and in the process of retiring cards!
EQ = 850 EX=849 TU = 850 as of 07/2017

takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Postby takeshi » Mon May 12, 2014 10:30 am

It's just a card for many. Membership pretty much just means backdating for me as well.

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:27 pm

I value my membership since 89 date a lot. LOL
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

mrow
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Wilmington, DE

Postby mrow » Tue May 13, 2014 1:16 am

Some people just get a solicitation in the mail for the PRG and sign up.

If I were a somewhat new Amex member and someone said to me out of nowhere "welcome to the membership" I would wonder what the hell they were talking about also. Especially if a cashier said it, I'd want to know what it was you just signed me up for without asking my permission. You sound like some kind of cult leader with a question like that.

Not everyone is a credit card nut. What would have been wrong with simply saying "I see you're a new American Express member. How do you like it so far?"

Kaiokenryu
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:25 am
Location: atlanta

Postby Kaiokenryu » Tue May 13, 2014 10:40 am

to me its worse signing up and appying for a credit card and not know the people you are aligning yourself with. but....i know....its semantics. (card holder vs membership)

I could have said it that way mrow....but when i move fast i speak quickly and in short form. I just expected him to know what i was talking about...

tigerowl06
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:43 am
Location: Austin/TX

Postby tigerowl06 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:15 pm

MemberSince99 wrote:Honestly about all it really means these days is backdating, in terms of something tangible for you the member. As far as that "elite" status, hell no one gives my Amex Gold a second glance when I use it. It's just another card to them and obviously doesn't stand out in any way. I don't care that's fine with me, I'm just happy to get in and out, but not sure most really care about that.


Zync would get a few looks, back when I had it. My IT card can get them 'cause I have the mixtape design.
Chase Freedom ($2.5K, 10/2009)
Discover it ($6.6K; 03/2011)
Amex BCE ($19.5K; 02/2013 - 2011 BD)
USAA Limitless 2.5% (22.5K; 08/2017)

luvbullmarkets
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 am
Location: TPC Stonebrae

Postby luvbullmarkets » Wed May 14, 2014 4:22 pm

mrow wrote:Some people just get a solicitation in the mail for the PRG and sign up.

If I were a somewhat new Amex member and someone said to me out of nowhere "welcome to the membership" I would wonder what the hell they were talking about also. Especially if a cashier said it, I'd want to know what it was you just signed me up for without asking my permission. You sound like some kind of cult leader with a question like that.


Not everyone is a credit card nut. What would have been wrong with simply saying "I see you're a new American Express member. How do you like it so far?"


Completely agree.
Amex PRG, Amex EveryDay, Amex BCE, Barclaycard Arrival, Cap One Venture One, CSP, Chase Freedom, Discover it, Macy's Star Card, Wells Fargo Propel 365 Amex, Wells Fargo Visa Sig

"Attack this day with a level of enthusiasm unknown to mankind." - Jack Harbaugh



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests