Question to Membersince99

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:42 pm

So.... who's @ss did you kiss??! ;)

Welcome back!!

MemberSince99 wrote:Sorry for the delayed response I did not see this prior to now. I have spent some time away from the forum after the whole Bears and Turtles post I do NOT want to stir that nonsense up again, I get enough drama at work I don't need it on my own time too. So I'm NOT intending to poke the bear (bad pun there) let's just leave that be if I want to hear screaming at least I should get paid for it....


Anyway, to answer your question, yes I still have the two cards in my signature. I did burn Amex in 2002 (date of first delinquency) for somewhere between 2200 and 2600, I'm guessing 2400 something would be approximately the amount. I did not repay them that amount. In 2011 they sent me a "pre-approval" and I was shocked as I assumed I was blacklisted. I applied over the phone and was declined for Green, but was hard pulled and not blacklisted at the time since it was a hard pull and the delinquency was not mentioned.


In April 2012 just on a hunch I applied for Zync and was instantly approved. In the next 6 weeks or so I also applied for and was approved for Gold and BCP. Then soon after I was wanting a travel card so I applied for Platinum. Not sure exactly what happened, but it was declined, and the reason given was "due to previous delinquencies" which is what they use if you are on the blacklist. (Since I was a current cardholder, they would not have hard pulled a decline so that wasn't a tip off). Why Platinum triggered that where other cards did not, only Amex would know. I was kind of hacked and figured that since that was still an issue I may as well just move on so I closed the accounts. Several months later I realized I had been hasty and wanted a Delta card, and a charge so I applied for first Zync then Delta, and both were declined without hard pulls even though I did not have a card at the time, and the reasons were the previous delinquency reason only, meaning I'm on the blacklist.


At that point I knew further applications were going to be fruitless so I just moved on. In May of 2013 I applied for and was approved for the CSP card, which had been my dream card, and thought since I'm at it why not try for Amex, if they decline because I'm blacklisted they won't hard pull, so I applied for Gold and was approved (the current card that I have). Obviously I'm off the blacklist. Soon after I applied for BCP and BSP and was approved for both but as mentioned with 2k limits. Amex declined CLI requests with the previous delinquency reasons (and only those reasons). I would not say I was upset, I do understand, however a travel card with a 2k limit is kind of useless to me just being honest. So that was going to go regardless especially with an annual fee. But since I was at it, I just decided to close the BCP too since it wasn't going to grow so I did. I kept the Gold which I still have.


As mentioned I applied for and was approved for the EDP in late March. As mentioned, it was partly for the card itself, even though I knew I'd get a 2k limit that is unlikely to grow anytime soon (if ever) and partly to boost my AAoA for my mortgage plans this year. (The cards I added early this year dropped my AAoA).


That's about all I can tell you. Why they let me back in, with not paying the charge off, only Amex could tell you, likewise why they blacklisted me in 2012 only they know as well. But I can tell you for a fact it is possible to go from having multiple cards to being on their blacklist to having multiple cards again all within one calendar year - I know because I've been there. Strange but true, but hey we people here live to push the limits, if we were meek sheep who just settled for what life wanted to offer us, we likely wouldn't have the cards and limits in our signatures so it's all good.


Hopefully this helps. If not feel free to PM me for whatever else you are looking for.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!


MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:46 pm

Oh just the same sweet behinds as usual :) But thanks!

randeman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:11 pm
Location: New York, NY

Postby randeman » Thu May 08, 2014 11:30 pm

I dunno. I'm kind of skeptical about the whole "blacklist" thing. My argument is that I burned Amex years (and years) ago when I was young and stupid. It was never paid. As a matter of fact, a few years ago (not so many as the year of the burn), I got a letter from a business that had bought the debt from Amex to settle for, I don't remember the amount. So someone had paid Amex something, just not sure what. Although I don't think that has a thing to do with Amex and me, but I throw that in. Fast forward to two years ago when I first applied for the Delta Gold and was turned down. Nothing was ever mentioned in their list about the past burn. Same when I applied last year--nothing about a burn. Now, all of a sudden, I apply for the same card last weekend and, bingo. I am a card member. What's funny (I can have a weird sense of humor sometimes) is, I got the card in the mail today and one of the inserts was my credit score with Equifax and a list of four reasons why my score is marginally good at best. None of those reasons has anything to do with my past history with Amex. Furthermore, the reasons were the exact ones that I was given both times that I was turned down in the past.

I cannot definitely say that Amex has or has no list of people that have burned them in the past. If they do, I am willing to bet it has a limited memory. A few decades, but a limit nevertheless.
Cards and Credit lines Acquired:

Escape by Discover (7.75K), Barclay Holland America Visa (7K), Macy's store card (7K), Bloomingdale's store card (2.6K), Citi Custom Credit Line (3.5K), PayPal Smart Connect credit line (2.7K), Chase Freedom Visa (5K), Chase United MileagePlus Visa (5K), Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa (6K), Amazon store card (2.2K), Lord & Taylor store card (550), Nordstrom store card (1500), Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express (3K), Discover It (6.5K), PayPal Credit Line (1K).

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:00 am

So you think we are just making this stuff up then? What would we gain from that?


Just because you never saw the results of the blacklist doesn't mean it doesn't exist. They really do handle each case individually just as they do when granting credit and it's always YMMV. Shocked?


A few decades on that list might as well be for life. Think about it.


If you really want to prove things, you can always burn them again and see what happens. I bet you a decent amount of $$$ (and I'm not a betting man) that you'll get much more conclusive proof this time around....


If your point was to brag, great, you did well. If it was to make the case there is no blacklist, sorry but I personally know better, you might as well tell me I don't have to go to work today, that my job doesn't exist. I'd love it if you were right, but I just happen to know better.

randeman
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:11 pm
Location: New York, NY

Postby randeman » Fri May 09, 2014 10:05 am

Well, uh, no...and kindly turn the hostility down a bit.

I was expressing my opinion based on the evidence I have been presented. I read your post. I have read other people's posts on the matter. I have read other people's posts on other credit sites on the matter. I gathered the information and formed my opinion. Just like quite a few other people in the world do.

I don't discount your supposition. But unless you or someone else produces strong evidence (or proof of fact) that American Express keeps a "burn list," that's been around for eons and once you're on it you're on it, all anyone is engaging in is supposition. Regardless of how compelling the evidence.

Moreover, I didn't say there was no list, I just said I was skeptical.

I don't need to brag. Facts are facts.
Cards and Credit lines Acquired:

Escape by Discover (7.75K), Barclay Holland America Visa (7K), Macy's store card (7K), Bloomingdale's store card (2.6K), Citi Custom Credit Line (3.5K), PayPal Smart Connect credit line (2.7K), Chase Freedom Visa (5K), Chase United MileagePlus Visa (5K), Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa (6K), Amazon store card (2.2K), Lord & Taylor store card (550), Nordstrom store card (1500), Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express (3K), Discover It (6.5K), PayPal Credit Line (1K).

cashinout
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 11:35 pm
Location: USA

Postby cashinout » Fri May 09, 2014 3:03 pm

MB131174 wrote:MemberSince99 even has a "move" named after him. I once referred to canceling cards as a "pulling a MemberSince99". He's a legend.


wait for it, wait for it, wait for iiiitttttttt, LEGENDARY , from this point on Bros and Chicks i bring fourth this into existence for all cancelation of credit cards Bro code law if you cancel a card you tell the rep thanks its been nice but i am going to do a membersince99 and hang up of course after letting them read the cxl account crap.
Fico 699
Fake - 704
Amex Plat - NSPL
Chase Freedom - 11k
Chase Sapphire Preferred - 13k
Chase Marriott Rewards Preferred - 15k
Chase United Milage Plus Club 15k
Chase Ritz Carleton Card 11k
Discover IT - 9k
Citi AA Advantage Executive Elite - 11k

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:55 pm

randeman wrote:Well, uh, no...and kindly turn the hostility down a bit.

I was expressing my opinion based on the evidence I have been presented. I read your post. I have read other people's posts on the matter. I have read other people's posts on other credit sites on the matter. I gathered the information and formed my opinion. Just like quite a few other people in the world do.

I don't discount your supposition. But unless you or someone else produces strong evidence (or proof of fact) that American Express keeps a "burn list," that's been around for eons and once you're on it you're on it, all anyone is engaging in is supposition. Regardless of how compelling the evidence.

Moreover, I didn't say there was no list, I just said I was skeptical.

I don't need to brag. Facts are facts.




Well some people believe that despite the evidence to the contrary that the earth is flat (such as the Flat Earth Society) and is about 6000 years old, so, people are entitled to their opinions.


Believe whatever you want, it's really no concern of mine. I have been on their blacklist, and pretty recently at that, but if you prefer to not believe they would do such a thing for whatever reason I really don't care. I sincerely hope you never end up on it.


I'd like to engage in supposition that the world is round. What say you? Yea or nay?

User avatar
djrez4
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm
Location: United States

Postby djrez4 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:10 pm

MemberSince99 wrote:I'd like to engage in supposition that the world is round. What say you? Yea or nay?


The truth:

Image

Next, let's talk about geocentrism.
[RIGHT][size=100]- Sapphire Preferred - Freedom - Ink - Platinum - Everyday Preferred -[/size]
[/RIGHT]

cashinout
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 11:35 pm
Location: USA

Postby cashinout » Fri May 09, 2014 4:42 pm

MemberSince99 wrote:Well some people believe that despite the evidence to the contrary that the earth is flat (such as the Flat Earth Society) and is about 6000 years old, so, people are entitled to their opinions.


Believe whatever you want, it's really no concern of mine. I have been on their blacklist, and pretty recently at that, but if you prefer to not believe they would do such a thing for whatever reason I really don't care. I sincerely hope you never end up on it.


I'd like to engage in supposition that the world is round. What say you? Yea or nay?


I will have to say Yea it is round i have yet to drive to the end of it and based on other heavenly bodies that i have seen with my telescope i highly doubt it is flat just wouldn't make since. :-)
Fico 699
Fake - 704
Amex Plat - NSPL
Chase Freedom - 11k
Chase Sapphire Preferred - 13k
Chase Marriott Rewards Preferred - 15k
Chase United Milage Plus Club 15k
Chase Ritz Carleton Card 11k
Discover IT - 9k
Citi AA Advantage Executive Elite - 11k

cashinout
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 11:35 pm
Location: USA

Postby cashinout » Fri May 09, 2014 4:42 pm

djrez4 wrote:The truth:

Image

Next, let's talk about geocentrism.


WTF! lol...... lets do this.... :-)
Fico 699
Fake - 704
Amex Plat - NSPL
Chase Freedom - 11k
Chase Sapphire Preferred - 13k
Chase Marriott Rewards Preferred - 15k
Chase United Milage Plus Club 15k
Chase Ritz Carleton Card 11k
Discover IT - 9k
Citi AA Advantage Executive Elite - 11k



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests