Should i apply for an American Express Gold Card?

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
25 posts
YungTPS
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:00 pm
Location: NY

Should i apply for an American Express Gold Card?

Postby YungTPS » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:56 pm

I have a Blue Cash Everyday, True Earnings, Hilton HHonors and a Gold Delta Sky Miles. I got an offer for a Gold Card, but I let it expire because I don't think I'll spend enough with the gold card. I can easily pay the yearly fee, but I don't spend a lot in a month. I def won't spend a lot on the Gold card because I'd be scared to run it too high lol. I'm still in college. Making my way through Physical Therapy. Oh, I'm 23 and I make $1500 - $2000 a month (give or take). My Experian score is 720 for now (I know it's not great).


Patcell87
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:55 am
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Postby Patcell87 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:59 am

Do you want the Gold Card? Would you spend enough or take advantage of the benefits to justify the annual membership fee? It's up to you. Sounds like you have a decent collection of cards already.

User avatar
Dr.Mark
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:01 pm
Location: London - UK

Postby Dr.Mark » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:25 pm

YungTPS wrote:I have a Blue Cash Everyday, True Earnings, Hilton HHonors and a Gold Delta Sky Miles. I got an offer for a Gold Card, but I let it expire because I don't think I'll spend enough with the gold card. I can easily pay the yearly fee, but I don't spend a lot in a month. I def won't spend a lot on the Gold card because I'd be scared to run it too high lol. I'm still in college. Making my way through Physical Therapy. Oh, I'm 23 and I make $1500 - $2000 a month (give or take). My Experian score is 720 for now (I know it's not great).


I hate when someone says: My Experian score is 720 for now (I know it's not great).
What? Do you want us to tell you: no buddy, your score is great for a person your age! You rock!
Personally I won't.

Then, if you're afraid you would spend too much... you're right, you shouldn't get it. You have to use a charge card exactly as you would use your debit card. Which means spending only the money you have. This is what I do and I've never had a problem.
And I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you can easily pay the AF. Most of us (all of us?!?) could easily pay that AF. That's not the point. The point is, as you've been already told, whether you would spend enough to take advantage of the great perks this card has. And you actually answered yourself: I don't spend a lot in a month. I def won't spend a lot on the Gold card.
Useless thread. Silly questions. IMHO.
[font=Times New Roman]American Express PRG[/font] [color=green][NPSL][/color]
[font=Times New Roman]British Airways American Express[/font] [color=green][9000£][/color]
[font=Times New Roman]American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday[/font] [color=green][6000£][/color]
[font=Times New Roman]Barclaycard Platinum[/font] [color=green][16600£][/color]
[font=Times New Roman]Virgin Balance Transfer[/font] [color=green][9600£][/color]

TCL - [color=red]41200£[/color]

linuxmachine
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: los angeles

Postby linuxmachine » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:14 pm

YungTPS wrote:I have a Blue Cash Everyday, True Earnings, Hilton HHonors and a Gold Delta Sky Miles. I got an offer for a Gold Card, but I let it expire because I don't think I'll spend enough with the gold card. I can easily pay the yearly fee, but I don't spend a lot in a month. I def won't spend a lot on the Gold card because I'd be scared to run it too high lol. I'm still in college. Making my way through Physical Therapy. Oh, I'm 23 and I make $1500 - $2000 a month (give or take). My Experian score is 720 for now (I know it's not great).


what do you want the gold card for? sell me on why you want to get it. if you cannot, then dont. easy peasy :)

mdl28
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:18 pm
Location: TX

Postby mdl28 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:22 pm

YungTPS wrote:I have a Blue Cash Everyday, True Earnings, Hilton HHonors and a Gold Delta Sky Miles. I got an offer for a Gold Card, but I let it expire because I don't think I'll spend enough with the gold card. I can easily pay the yearly fee, but I don't spend a lot in a month. I def won't spend a lot on the Gold card because I'd be scared to run it too high lol. I'm still in college. Making my way through Physical Therapy. Oh, I'm 23 and I make $1500 - $2000 a month (give or take). My Experian score is 720 for now (I know it's not great).


Its also a pet peeve of mine, when people try to fish for praise. Your score is your score. and a 720 is not bad.
MDL

Amex Gold Prem'r
Amex BCP
Amex Green
Barclays Ring Platinum MasterCard
Citi Diamond Pref'd
Chase Sapphire Pref'd Visa Signature
Chase Freedom MasterCard
Discover It
New York Life Visa Signature

User avatar
nismoZtuner
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:39 pm
Location: EARTH -CA

Postby nismoZtuner » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:24 pm

you guys probably scared him/her off now...
TU 752 (+4) - [5/9/2014] CK 726 - [11/24/14] EX 725 - [11/20/14] EQ 710
BankofAmerica Cash Rewards [2k] I American Express Blue Cash Everyday [3K] l Discover IT[2.5]
American Express Premier Rewards Gold [NPSL] I Marriott Rewards Premier [5k]
Chase Sapphire Preferred[7.3]
Inquires: TU(?) EX(?) EQ(?)
TCL-$19,800
Age-22

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:22 pm

mdl28 wrote:Its also a pet peeve of mine, when people try to fish for praise. Your score is your score. and a 720 is not bad.


Someone please tell me what the heck the big deal is about credit scores? I mean I read all these threads with people giving their scores and you are right, some are so proud of it.

I don't even know my score nor care to know.

Just wierd!

Utilization for me means how much I use my card LOL not some mathematical calculation
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

User avatar
nismoZtuner
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:39 pm
Location: EARTH -CA

Postby nismoZtuner » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:13 pm

FastSRT8 wrote:Someone please tell me what the heck the big deal is about credit scores? I mean I read all these threads with people giving their scores and you are right, some are so proud of it.

I don't even know my score nor care to know.

Just wierd!

Utilization for me means how much I use my card LOL not some mathematical calculation


Fast when i get a centurion i will make fun of every one with a ton of card (i all dibs on the quote)

wooohoow you guys have a ton of card UNFORTUNATELY I only have one! *shows of centurion*
TU 752 (+4) - [5/9/2014] CK 726 - [11/24/14] EX 725 - [11/20/14] EQ 710

BankofAmerica Cash Rewards [2k] I American Express Blue Cash Everyday [3K] l Discover IT[2.5]

American Express Premier Rewards Gold [NPSL] I Marriott Rewards Premier [5k]

Chase Sapphire Preferred[7.3]

Inquires: TU(?) EX(?) EQ(?)

TCL-$19,800

Age-22

thom02099
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:49 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Postby thom02099 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:07 am

YungTPS wrote:I have a Blue Cash Everyday, True Earnings, Hilton HHonors and a Gold Delta Sky Miles. I got an offer for a Gold Card, but I let it expire because I don't think I'll spend enough with the gold card. I can easily pay the yearly fee, but I don't spend a lot in a month. I def won't spend a lot on the Gold card because I'd be scared to run it too high lol. I'm still in college. [color="red"]Making my way through Physical Therapy.[/color] Oh, I'm 23 and I make $1500 - $2000 a month (give or take). My Experian score is 720 for now (I know it's not great).


Think beyond today, the here and now. Plan for your future. Credit is a lifelong journey. If you feel you have a need for an AMEX Gold in addition to the other cards you have, apply for it. If not, don't. It's that simple. But look to where you want to be 5 years from now -- 10 years from now -- and beyond. As a Physical Therapist, you'll be making a heck of a lot more money than today. That backdating on multiple AMEX cards could be an asset to you.
Retired, and in the process of retiring cards!
EQ = 850 EX=849 TU = 850 as of 07/2017

YungTPS
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:00 pm
Location: NY

Postby YungTPS » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:36 pm

Well, i wasn't fishing for praise. I honestly don't think a 720 score is that great. I actually just wanted the Gold Card because i've always wanted one since i was younger. The dad has one, my uncle has one. I'd be an honor to have one too.

On a sidenote, BOA just increase my credit limit to $3200 from $700! Woohoo, more free credit that i won't be using lol.

@Thom02099
Thank you very much for the advise. Like i said, i don't need it per say. I will never spend anything close to $2,000 a month on a regular basis, well not for another 4 years lol. And you'd be surprised, PTs don't get paid as much as people might think. Fresh out of school, you'll be lucky if you break 75K. I was told to scream "I ACCEPT THE POSITION" if i get offered 75K. It's usually 5 -10K less. Oh well, that's not for another 4 years anyway.

Carry on guys. Have a nice evening.



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests