Are the Business cards less "prestigious"?

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
33 posts
User avatar
PlatinumAMEX94
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:21 am
Location: Denver

Postby PlatinumAMEX94 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:23 am

The question you should be asking is: Do you want to impress an hourly staff person (cashier, host, server) with a piece of plastic that they don't are about, or do you want to impress a high net worth potential client? A personal charge card shows you have discretionary income to pay for your charges. A business card doesn't show you are responsible with your credit, just that you have an employer who does.
American Express Platinum Personal, Member since 94
Chase United Explorer - Visa Signature
Chase Sapphire Preferred
American Express Business Simply Cash

American Express Costco Business, American Express Platinum Business
Bank of America 10k, Capital One Venture World MasterCard 7.5k, Fidelity Visa Signature 10k
Citibank ThankYou Premier World MasterCard - Card Member since 91, 25k
Discover 10k Member since 91, Wells Fargo Personal & Business Visa Signature
USAA World MasterCard 12k, Chase Slate Exclusives Visa 5k

Lifelock member, USAA credit monitoring, Security Freezes E/E/TU, 800+


User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:20 pm

Well stated. Thats exactly what matters and why I believe personal cards trump business ones.

PlatinumAMEX94 wrote:The question you should be asking is: Do you want to impress an hourly staff person (cashier, host, server) with a piece of plastic that they don't are about, or do you want to impress a high net worth potential client? A personal charge card shows you have discretionary income to pay for your charges. A business card doesn't show you are responsible with your credit, just that you have an employer who does.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

jlam572
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:04 am
Location: Hawaii

Postby jlam572 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:52 pm

FastSRT8 wrote:Are you sure about this? I think your uncle may be pulling your leg.

As a current Centurion card holder, I can tell you that Amex does not have 'grandfather' clauses for the Centurion card.

IF the rates go up, you pay the increase. If you don't want to pay, then you give up the card and they make you move to a lower level. This rule applies across their product lines. Ask anyone with an Amex and they will concur.

This is confirmed by myself and a few friends.

Please check... don't want to give people hopes through bad intel


Ill check with him. He is located in HK and has been an amex member since 82. One of the first centurion cards in Hong Kong. Will check and get back with you. When I visited him in 08 he told me it was about 1k US AF.
American Express Platinum
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Hawaiian Airlines BOH MC
USAA Amex
Capital One Visa Platinum
Citi Diamond Preferred MC

jlam572
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:04 am
Location: Hawaii

Postby jlam572 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Kaiokenryu wrote:i wholeheartedly disagree..unless you are a true corporate card
remember that you most often the manager for the business...its success is in part due to you. I would stick my chest out if i had a premier business card....it means MY credit was good enough to be the basis of the extension of credit....and thus if the business shines.......I shine. anyone who has come from zero....to top 5-10% of income earners FROM the business....would agree with me I think.


Authorized users for the business cards are not only higher-ups. New employess and middle management can also be approved AUs for business cards. So while yes you might have earned that with hard work for your company, the noob you just hired at 70k a year fresh out of college has his name on his own business centurion that you just gave him. This is why I personally view it as less prestigious. Just my 2 cents.
American Express Platinum

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Hawaiian Airlines BOH MC

USAA Amex

Capital One Visa Platinum

Citi Diamond Preferred MC

User avatar
Dr.Mark
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:01 pm
Location: London - UK

Postby Dr.Mark » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:06 pm

PlatinumAMEX94 wrote:The question you should be asking is: Do you want to impress an hourly staff person (cashier, host, server) with a piece of plastic that they don't are about, or do you want to impress a high net worth potential client? A personal charge card shows you have discretionary income to pay for your charges. A business card doesn't show you are responsible with your credit, just that you have an employer who does.


As I see it, I believe that this totally answers my question. It's exactly what I think.
[font=Times New Roman]American Express PRG[/font] [color=green][NPSL][/color]
[font=Times New Roman]British Airways American Express[/font] [color=green][9000£][/color]
[font=Times New Roman]American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday[/font] [color=green][6000£][/color]
[font=Times New Roman]Barclaycard Platinum[/font] [color=green][16600£][/color]
[font=Times New Roman]Virgin Balance Transfer[/font] [color=green][9600£][/color]

TCL - [color=red]41200£[/color]

Kaiokenryu
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:25 am
Location: atlanta

Postby Kaiokenryu » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:56 pm

jlam572 wrote:Authorized users for the business cards are not only higher-ups. New employess and middle management can also be approved AUs for business cards. So while yes you might have earned that with hard work for your company, the noob you just hired at 70k a year fresh out of college has his name on his own business centurion that you just gave him. This is why I personally view it as less prestigious. Just my 2 cents.


yes...i forgot that AU can "appear" to be the biz owner.

ok....point taken

Kaiokenryu
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:25 am
Location: atlanta

Postby Kaiokenryu » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:06 pm

PlatinumAMEX94 wrote: A personal charge card shows you have discretionary income to pay for your charges.


I used to think this.....this forum has shown me that appearances are not what they always appear to be.

jlam572
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:04 am
Location: Hawaii

Postby jlam572 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:42 pm

FastSRT8 wrote:Are you sure about this? I think your uncle may be pulling your leg.

As a current Centurion card holder, I can tell you that Amex does not have 'grandfather' clauses for the Centurion card.

IF the rates go up, you pay the increase. If you don't want to pay, then you give up the card and they make you move to a lower level. This rule applies across their product lines. Ask anyone with an Amex and they will concur.

This is confirmed by myself and a few friends.

Please check... don't want to give people hopes through bad intel


Just checked with him and youre right. He was paying HK9800, but now he has to pay the full HK38800. Talk about a price hike haha.
American Express Platinum

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Hawaiian Airlines BOH MC

USAA Amex

Capital One Visa Platinum

Citi Diamond Preferred MC

mdl28
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:18 pm
Location: TX

Postby mdl28 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:54 pm

Biz Amex cards can be given to anyone the company wants to have one, which = less prestigious VS personal charge cards that you must be able to be approved and pay for on your own.
MDL

Amex Gold Prem'r
Amex BCP
Amex Green
Barclays Ring Platinum MasterCard
Citi Diamond Pref'd
Chase Sapphire Pref'd Visa Signature
Chase Freedom MasterCard
Discover It
New York Life Visa Signature

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Thought so LOL.

I'd get a HK one if that was the case!

jlam572 wrote:Just checked with him and youre right. He was paying HK9800, but now he has to pay the full HK38800. Talk about a price hike haha.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests