amex007 wrote:I am not on the blacklist with Amex since i never burned them but i did burn chase like over 8 yrs ago for ~9-10k. does anyone know how forgiving Chase is? I just applied for a Chase Hyatt card and they said they would mail me the decision since i have security freeze in place. Although i wouldnt be surprised if they just rejected me instead of asking me to temporarily lift the freeze for a select credit bureau... :/
I charged off about $70K of debt with Chase, again, this happened now, about thirteen years ago. No bankruptcy ever.
I have had a Chase credit card for a couple of years now, maybe three. My Chase card has the lowest credit line of any of my other cards. It started off at $5000. About a year ago I called to have it increased, and they did increase it to $10,000. During the phone call the rep did say, oh, we charged off a lot of debt from you in the past. I said nothing. Sometimes saying nothing and just waiting is the best response. He then just went on and said, well that was a long time ago, and increased my line to $10,000.
Recently I called to have the Chase increased again, and once again the rep said the same thing, that looks like we charged off a lot of debt with you. This time, the rep declined to increase the line, but he said that he didn't care about the old debt because it was a long time ago, but he declined because he noted recent inquiries (from a few other requests to increase credit lines on my other cards, all of which increases were granted) and another credit card with an extremely high credit line that I had just opened, which were true. He said to call back in six months or a year and that they would accommodate me when there weren't any fresh inquiries.
I'd say 80% of my cards are with companies who charged off old debt of mine, and the other 20% are with newbies. Nowadays there are so few big banks that offer credit versus the many many that were around 13 years ago, that choices are limited. For example, BofA bought out more than a few, no more MBNA, etc.
As far as these credit line increases and requests to open a credit card, and calls of the same ilk, I have learned to figure out what sorts of people who answer the phone will be accommodating and what sorts will not. The person who answered the call the first time, I knew would help me out. On the more recent call to Chase, I could tell the person was a hard nosed one, and I should have just hung up immediately, but I was tired and busy that day and just wanted to get the call over with. Of course I was right, and in the future depending on who answers the phone I might hang up within seconds.