Platinum AmEx Authorized User Question

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
8 posts
ENAHS
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:53 am
Location: NY

Platinum AmEx Authorized User Question

Postby ENAHS » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi guys,

I currently have an AMEX Plat and I'm interested in adding some authorized users...but not for a platinum card. For their needs the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold would be the best card. Is there any way this could be done?

Thanks!
Shane E.


takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Postby takeshi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:26 am

Sure -- get a PRG.

AF for up to 3 Platinum AU's is $175.

PRG AF is $175 and you get up to 5 AU's with no AF.

ENAHS
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:53 am
Location: NY

Postby ENAHS » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:28 am

Not much interest in a PRG.

The Platinum suits my needs with travel and the Premier Rewards Gold would suit their needs with most of their spending being groceries + gas.

Robrus1
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Texas

Postby Robrus1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:42 am

You can add regular Gold Cards for authorized users for $45 a year, per card, to your Platinum Account. I'm confused by your response. If you're going to pay the same price for an authorized user to have a Platinum Card as it would be to just apply for PRG, why not just apply for PRG? You don't have to use it, but your AU can.
Amex Platinum
Amex BCP 21K
Amex SPG 5K
Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K
Chase Sapphire Preferred 23.5K
Credit Union 10K
Discover IT 7.75K

linuxmachine
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: los angeles

Postby linuxmachine » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:32 pm

Forget adding a PRG (you can't anyway.. just regular gold). Wait until April 2nd and sign up for the Everyday Preferred. 3x groceries, 2x gas and 50% bonus for 30 transactions a month. You can use it too for the extra points, and plat for the perks.

ENAHS
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:53 am
Location: NY

Postby ENAHS » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Robrus1 wrote:You can add regular Gold Cards for authorized users for $45 a year, per card, to your Platinum Account. I'm confused by your response. If you're going to pay the same price for an authorized user to have a Platinum Card as it would be to just apply for PRG, why not just apply for PRG? You don't have to use it, but your AU can.


Sorry for the confusion, I read the previous response wrong. Applying for a PRG is a consideration. I think the plat should just have the 3x and 2x points but maybe I'm crazy! It's nice that the AU fee for PRG is $0, I wasn't aware of that.

linuxmachine wrote:Forget adding a PRG (you can't anyway.. just regular gold). Wait until April 2nd and sign up for the Everyday Preferred. 3x groceries, 2x gas and 50% bonus for 30 transactions a month. You can use it too for the extra points, and plat for the perks.


I forgot about the everyday preferred! that sounds good except I don't want the authorized users thinking they have an option whether or not to pay off the card every month. Part of the deal in being an AU is that they have to pay the card off monthly, which wouldn't be an issue with a charge card. I will have to look more into the Everyday Preferred.

linuxmachine
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: los angeles

Postby linuxmachine » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:55 pm

I guess it comes down to who the AU is. you're still the primary account holder, so you can enforce the rules on your side. Consider that a charge card is merely extra motivation to pay in full monthly. no one is forcing you to pay. there are merely consequences. plus, think of the flip side where a credit card has a hard limit. you could probably set the internal limit on the charge card too, but it wouldn't be explicitly reported to the AU

cashnocredit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:43 pm
Location: San Diego

Postby cashnocredit » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:29 pm

linuxmachine wrote:I guess it comes down to who the AU is. you're still the primary account holder, so you can enforce the rules on your side. Consider that a charge card is merely extra motivation to pay in full monthly. no one is forcing you to pay. there are merely consequences. plus, think of the flip side where a credit card has a hard limit. you could probably set the internal limit on the charge card too, but it wouldn't be explicitly reported to the AU


You can set individual monthly CLs on AUs and it is reported to them by a letter from Amex.



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests