Does anyone actually scan rather than swipe?

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
18 posts
swipe_masta
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: USA

Does anyone actually scan rather than swipe?

Postby swipe_masta » Thu May 23, 2013 11:38 pm

Just out of curiosity, does anyone scan their Amex cards like the Blue ____ rather than swipe? I know my BCE can be scanned at certain terminals, but I have yet to see one. I have seen the MC scanners tho...


im_mr_awesome
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Postby im_mr_awesome » Thu May 23, 2013 11:47 pm

My Citi diamond preferred card came with a MasterCard PayPass thing. Is that what you're talking about? If so, I haven't seen many places that use it. Maybe I'm just blind.
Scores on the mend...
FICO: 650 (Discover/TU, 6/23/2016)
Cards I Use Citi Double Cash, Chase Amazon, Capital One QuickSilver
Sock Drawer Discover IT, Citi Diamond Preferred, AE Visa, QuickSilver One, Walmart CC, CareCredit, CreditOne (keeping for history for now)
Short Goal Reach 680

rockyrock
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 am
Location: Ventura, CA

Postby rockyrock » Fri May 24, 2013 12:46 am

Are you referring to EMV Chip & Signature (Amex) or Chip & PIN for V/MC?

If your card has it you would notice the chip embedded in your card.

I think US based systems are starting to pop up; I was just in Italy last weekend and they are everywhere. Most of the machines look like the portable swipe ones the airlines use in-flight but you stick the card half-way in the front and enter your PIN or sign in the case of Amex.

I think it provides an added layer of security—unless you write your PIN on the card :-0 The down side is that if you lose or forget your PIN a new one has to be generated and then mailed to you by Visa or MC—not your bank. That is what I was told by the USAA rep when I ordered mine at least…
American Express (2005): Premier Rewards Gold & Blue Cash Preferred
Chase: Freedom & UA Club USAA: Signature Visa & American Express
Discover it Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines WEMC Synchrony Sam's MC
Navy FCU Platinum Visa Citi Double Cash & AT&T Access MC

swipe_masta
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: USA

Postby swipe_masta » Fri May 24, 2013 11:40 am

rockyrock wrote:Are you referring to EMV Chip & Signature (Amex) or Chip & PIN for V/MC?

If your card has it you would notice the chip embedded in your card.

I think US based systems are starting to pop up; I was just in Italy last weekend and they are everywhere. Most of the machines look like the portable swipe ones the airlines use in-flight but you stick the card half-way in the front and enter your PIN or sign in the case of Amex.

I think it provides an added layer of security—unless you write your PIN on the card :-0 The down side is that if you lose or forget your PIN a new one has to be generated and then mailed to you by Visa or MC—not your bank. That is what I was told by the USAA rep when I ordered mine at least…


No. It's like the MC paypass but for Amex cards. I think the Blue cards are the only ones that have the scan chip in the card. I have yet to see an EMV chipped Amex.

benhollberg
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:51 pm
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby benhollberg » Fri May 24, 2013 12:12 pm

swipe_masta wrote:No. It's like the MC paypass but for Amex cards. I think the Blue cards are the only ones that have the scan chip in the card. I have yet to see an EMV chipped Amex.


American Express Platinum cards can be chip and signature upon request. But to answer your original question, I've seem all kinds of terminals at stores, mostly convenience stores, that advertise that type of NFC/EFC or whatever it is. I've never actually seen anyone use it to buy something. The same type of technology I do use in my bus pass everyday.
American Express Platinum Card
American Express TrueEarnings Card from Costco
Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred World MasterCard
Discover It

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Not that this applies to me but my question is, what happens in you have 2 or more cards in your wallet that have this scan and pay capability? Which card will be charged? Will they all be charged the same amount?

How can you select which one to use? Seems more work to me.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

Moneytalks
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: United States

Postby Moneytalks » Fri May 24, 2013 2:54 pm

FastSRT8 wrote:Not that this applies to me but my question is, what happens in you have 2 or more cards in your wallet that have this scan and pay capability? Which card will be charged? Will they all be charged the same amount?

How can you select which one to use? Seems more work to me.


You use telepathy and it charges the card you want ;)
Wallet: Amex BCE & Chase Freedom. (Credit Card dieting since 2014)

fantasy86dj
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:47 pm
ICQ: 387113
WLM: katoomba@live.co.uk
Yahoo Messenger: mettymeta242
Location: Australia

Postby fantasy86dj » Fri May 24, 2013 3:31 pm

I have AMEX Green Charge (Australian) and whenever possible I tap my card on the terminal instead of inserting (my card has the chip.) I just find it much faster and easier for me.

DavidNY
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:28 pm
Location: New York

Postby DavidNY » Fri May 24, 2013 4:48 pm

FastSRT8 wrote:Not that this applies to me but my question is, what happens in you have 2 or more cards in your wallet that have this scan and pay capability? Which card will be charged?


You're expected to place the card you want charged on the scanner.

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

Postby FastSRT8 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:03 pm

So you can't just tap your wallet onto the scanner?


DavidNY wrote:You're expected to place the card you want charged on the scanner.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests