I woke up this morning after yesterday's successful app spree thinking that maybe I should rethink how I proceed with the last three cards. I'd always gone on the assumption that I needed to spread out the number of apps and inquiries between my wife and myself so to not ding either credit report too much. But then I thought again and I've come to the conclusion that I should continue the app spree myself instead of relying on my wife.
Pros to continuing the spree:
1. No one has turned me down yet.
I seem to be in a good credit zone right now with what's on my credit report. Some debt (but not all) is now not reporting since I balance transfered it to Penfed and Penfed's existence has not shown up on my credit reports yet.
2. For the apps I have had, the CLs I've gotten have all been good. The Fidelity came in at the bottom at $17.5K (I already have a BofA at $20K CL so FIA is really extending me $37.5K right now), and the Amex BCP came in as expected at $20K (I will probably CLI this after the 61 day window).
3. I'm not going to refi my mortgage after all, after a meeting with my credit union. My deal is good enough to stand pat.
4. My wife's report actually has two baddies. One is a 30d from a few years ago to Comenity/J.Jill that I don't think is important. But the other is also Comenity, this time to Victoria Secret for a charge-off...of $19 four years ago. For the life of us we don't know how that happened and we're fighting it. But that little problem might cause application issues for some credit cards like the US Bank Cash + (a Visa Signature card) or Discover.
5. My inquiries are still small and evenly distributed. Both the Fidelity Amex and Amex BCP showed up at Experian (so 2 current). Two inquiries are at Transunion and 1 is at Equifax.
Cons for continuing the app spree myself:
1. My Bank of America card balance still shows it hasn't transferred to Penfed yet, which affects my perceived utilization. This wasn't a problem for the Fidelity Amex since FIA could see my BofA card's balance (also FIA) in real time. And it didn't affect my ability to get an Amex BCP at a nice CL (although carrying a Amex Platinum didn't hurt for that). I could wait but Penfed might report with a full utilization to boot, which might mean the end of my app spree.
2. Fear that I'm blacklisted at Discover. I guess the only way I would find out is by applying but my Discover troubles were 15 years ago and it was paid off back then.
So today I think I'll walk into the local US Bank branch up the street and give it a whirl. At worst, they turn me down and then we can proceed with the original plan of having my wife do it in the coming weeks. If I succeed, I'll try Discover.