Dear American Express

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
26 posts
DoingHomework
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Postby DoingHomework » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Fartanywherecard wrote:If what the OP is saying is true, that a court date occurred and passed without any notification or attempt to contact him, that is scary. Don't they use a collection agency first? It's just strange.


I don't know what happened in his specific situation. But he says he was not properly served meaning he was not notified of the court date or other details. In some jurisdictions and for minor debts all it takes is mailing a letter to the last known address. In almost every credit agreement you promise to keep the creditor informed of your address at all times. Since your contract requires that, they can get away with notice by mailing a letter to that address. So that is probably what happened - he moved and didn't tell them, they sent a letter he never received and complied with their service requirements. He didn't know about the court date, missed it, and now has a default judgment.

The lesson is to know your debts and responsibilities and do what you are supposed to do in terms of notifying your creditors when you move or whatever.


DoingHomework
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Postby DoingHomework » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Fartanywherecard wrote:If what the OP is saying is true, that a court date occurred and passed without any notification or attempt to contact him, that is scary. Don't they use a collection agency first? It's just strange.


Creditors have no obligation to use a collection agency first. That's just a convenience that some creditors follow. Some creditors do their own collections. It was not too long ago that collections was sometimes done with a baseball bat so you can count yourself lucky these days.

Fartanywherecard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:18 pm
Location: NYC

Postby Fartanywherecard » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:51 pm

DoingHomework wrote:Creditors have no obligation to use a collection agency first...


Right, it just seems like it's easier and more customary than going straight to court.


I am obviously just guessing but if I put myself in this company's shoes, I'd be thinking:

I have a pretty good record of collecting all my debt when going to court. It's obviously worth my time to do this as opposed to using a collection agency or doing collections myself (even though conventional wisdom says it's better to use collections). So I'm either using surreptitious tactics to obtain these default court judgments, a really lucky son of a gun, or this particular customer never responded to my collection attempts.

Just cogitating... :)

User avatar
FastSRT8
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Canada

BIG mistake penning that.....

Postby FastSRT8 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Too late now but I would not have sent that.

IMO, you have pretty much reduced your chances for an Amex to ZERO. Better still, that letter I'm sure is posted internally by Amex for all to see and frankly LOL.

You should have at the least asked us for our opinions before sending that.

Lessons learned.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero!

silver6054
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:28 pm
Location: boston

Postby silver6054 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:26 pm

FastSRT8 wrote:Too late now but I would not have sent that.

IMO, you have pretty much reduced your chances for an Amex to ZERO. Better still, that letter I'm sure is posted internally by Amex for all to see and frankly LOL.

You should have at the least asked us for our opinions before sending that.

Lessons learned.

The OP says he doesn't care about that, so not an issue. Also, I really doubt if it is posted internally, I would think that they get tons of much more amusing and abusive messages than that!

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:13 pm

silver6054 wrote:The OP says he doesn't care about that, so not an issue. Also, I really doubt if it is posted internally, I would think that they get tons of much more amusing and abusive messages than that!


You shoulda seen the one I sent.

Just kidding.



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest