Qualifying for Amex after one bad experience a while back

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
8 posts
amexcurious
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: USA

Qualifying for Amex after one bad experience a while back

Postby amexcurious » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Hello,

My current credit is excellent (one mortgage with a relatively low balance, a few credit cards with large limits but only one with a balance that is paid off every month and the average balance is about 5% of the total available balance), no car loans, no personal loans or any other credit account with a balance. My oldest credit card goes back to the mid 80's.

I had an Amex from 1986 to 1997, it was closed with a delinquent balance though it was paid off shortly thereafter.

I have not applied for any new credit in four years.

In 2005 I applied for an Amex (the credit situation back then was very good, the only difference with present time was I had some relatively large balances). I was turned down with the reason given as a negative prior experience with Amex.

What are the chances of getting approved now?

Thanks!


Money card
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: New York state

Postby Money card » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:29 pm

the few credit cards you do have do you pay them in full or do you pay overtime?
which American Express card did you have there premium card or lending card?
example premium green, gold or platinum
lending I'm guessing in 1987 it would have been Blue or the optimum cards?

which card are you intrested in getting a premium card or revolver ?

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:58 am

We can all speculate but there is only one way to find out - apply and see. Since the card was paid off, I'm thinking you have a decent chance but all any of us can do is guess. If you want back in and are willing to take the inquiry go for it and let us know how it turns out.

amexcurious
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: USA

Postby amexcurious » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:00 am

As I said, I only use one of the cards, which is paid off every month. It has a credit limit of $30K, I usually charge about $3k-$4k/mo, the other cards (four total) have a combined credit limit of $25K. So the percentage of credit used at any given time is very low.

I had an Amex Gold.

I'm interested in the Delta Skymiles Platinum card.

MemberSince99
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4913
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: WI

Postby MemberSince99 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:19 pm

I would say go for it. All you have to lose is an inquiry. If they decline you for having a charge off with them, for sure recon it as you paid it.

From everything you've said you should have a decent shot.

SteveT
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:40 pm
Location: California

Postby SteveT » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:14 pm

amexcurious wrote:Hello,

My current credit is excellent (one mortgage with a relatively low balance, a few credit cards with large limits but only one with a balance that is paid off every month and the average balance is about 5% of the total available balance), no car loans, no personal loans or any other credit account with a balance. My oldest credit card goes back to the mid 80's.

I had an Amex from 1986 to 1997, it was closed with a delinquent balance though it was paid off shortly thereafter.

I have not applied for any new credit in four years.

In 2005 I applied for an Amex (the credit situation back then was very good, the only difference with present time was I had some relatively large balances). I was turned down with the reason given as a negative prior experience with Amex.

What are the chances of getting approved now?

Thanks!


I think your chances for approval is very good, based on your stated current situation. I am surprised they declined you in 2005. Once you paid Amex off in full, the "past" experience is a non issue.

amexcurious
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: USA

Postby amexcurious » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:45 pm

SteveT wrote:I think your chances for approval is very good, based on your stated current situation. I am surprised they declined you in 2005. Once you paid Amex off in full, the "past" experience is a non issue.


I applied today, and got instant approval. Kind of.

The online process ended with "to complete your approval process you must call us". A moment later I got an email saying I needed to call to verify the my home address. While I was on hold, I got another email saying I had been approved. And when the CSR came online, she told me I had been approved with a 25K credit line.

It's too bad I waited to apply, we're going on a trip for a week starting Sunday, it would've been nice to have the card before departing. I asked about possibly getting the card sooner, but the woman said it wasn't possible to expedite it.

No biggie.

SteveT
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:40 pm
Location: California

Postby SteveT » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:19 pm

amexcurious wrote:I applied today, and got instant approval. Kind of.

The online process ended with "to complete your approval process you must call us". A moment later I got an email saying I needed to call to verify the my home address. While I was on hold, I got another email saying I had been approved. And when the CSR came online, she told me I had been approved with a 25K credit line.

It's too bad I waited to apply, we're going on a trip for a week starting Sunday, it woulHd've been nice to have the card before departing. I asked about possibly getting the card sooner, but the woman said it wasn't possible to expedite it.

No biggie.


Congrats on the approval.



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests