American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
Crashem
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:29 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby Crashem » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 am

bmw1990Z wrote:I just got my delta amex! Hopefully plat isn't too far out of reach. Several of my friends have it (not as an AU on their parents accounts..) From what I've seen All you need is a few good years with Amex and perfect payment history.


If you give it 6 months (just so inquiry has time to age) and assuming your continue to use credit correctly, you should easily qualify for AMEX charge card. However platinum AF is expensive, you sure it is worth it for you? Personally I find PRG to be better deal especially since they are waiving first year AF under most signup incentives. Platinum might be worth it if you are flying a lot.
Amex Centurion, Amex Platinum, Amex BCP 8k->24k (5/23/12), Amex TE 15k, Cap One 1.5% 15k->20k (8/7/13), CSP 25k, Chase Palladium 100k, Citibank AA 35k (AU), Firestone 1.8k->2.2k->2.4k (8/20/12), JFCU Jloc 30k, PenFed Plat Rewards 30k, SF Fire 30k, US Bank Cash+ 25k


nedyah700
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:17 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Postby nedyah700 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Crashem wrote:If you give it 6 months (just so inquiry has time to age) and assuming your continue to use credit correctly, you should easily qualify for AMEX charge card. However platinum AF is expensive, you sure it is worth it for you? Personally I find PRG to be better deal especially since they are waiving first year AF under most signup incentives. Platinum might be worth it if you are flying a lot.


That's all it took for me! Granted now the government makes them follow more rules about issuing CC's so its probably a bit harder now to get started but that doesn't apply to you because you already have a card.

bmw1990Z
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:08 am
Location: USA

Postby bmw1990Z » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Hopefully...I'm already pre qualified for PRG gold but I want the platinum....however, does that plat come with the 3x|2x|1x| rewards like the prg does?
Cards in my wallet:
-Citi Forward Card for College Students-July 2011
-American Express Platinum Delta Skymiles--July 2013

nedyah700
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:17 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Postby nedyah700 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:06 pm

bmw1990Z wrote:Hopefully...I'm already pre qualified for PRG gold but I want the platinum....however, does that plat come with the 3x|2x|1x| rewards like the prg does?


Pretty sure it does not.

bmw1990Z
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:08 am
Location: USA

Postby bmw1990Z » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:41 pm

are you sure? my dad used to have the mercedes benz version which has all that plus 5x MR points on benz purchases..i just figured the reg version would...but I could be wrong.
Cards in my wallet:

-Citi Forward Card for College Students-July 2011

-American Express Platinum Delta Skymiles--July 2013

nedyah700
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:17 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Postby nedyah700 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:50 pm

bmw1990Z wrote:are you sure? my dad used to have the mercedes benz version which has all that plus 5x MR points on benz purchases..i just figured the reg version would...but I could be wrong.


I am pretty sure. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

PopiLopi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Postby PopiLopi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:45 pm

nedyah700 wrote:I am pretty sure. Someone correct me if I am wrong.


you're right platinum comes with 1x points on everything. It's not the best card to accrue points, it's strength is in the benefits it offers
Amex: Business Platinum (09/12) BCP $10,500 (03/13)
Visa: Capital One Journey $750 (04/11) Chase Freedom $1,800 (04/12)
MasterCard Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select $8,500 (05/13)
Discover: Discover It $2500 (07/11)
Store Cards: Amazon $3900 (12/11) Macy's $500 (04/11) Kohl's $500 (05/12) Victoria's Secret $750 (11/12)

bmw1990Z
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:08 am
Location: USA

Postby bmw1990Z » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Maybe I read on here that conversion rates for rewards are better
Cards in my wallet:

-Citi Forward Card for College Students-July 2011

-American Express Platinum Delta Skymiles--July 2013

bmw1990Z
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:08 am
Location: USA

Postby bmw1990Z » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

PopiLopi wrote:you're right platinum comes with 1x points on everything. It's not the best card to accrue points, it's strength is in the benefits it offers


How do you like your prg?
Cards in my wallet:

-Citi Forward Card for College Students-July 2011

-American Express Platinum Delta Skymiles--July 2013

PopiLopi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Postby PopiLopi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Btw college-student, I think you're major issue with getting approved for the Gold card is your lack of regular income. Last year when amex was offering those juicy 75k points bonus for the PRG card a few of my friends applied to take advantage and 2 of them where college students and got approved, they were both authorized users in their father's account for several year, one of them had a Target card, the other one had no other credit history.

I'm not sure which formula amex uses for their approvals but I'm sure is something a lot more complex than what we think here
Amex: Business Platinum (09/12) BCP $10,500 (03/13)
Visa: Capital One Journey $750 (04/11) Chase Freedom $1,800 (04/12)
MasterCard Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select $8,500 (05/13)
Discover: Discover It $2500 (07/11)
Store Cards: Amazon $3900 (12/11) Macy's $500 (04/11) Kohl's $500 (05/12) Victoria's Secret $750 (11/12)



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests