Any problems with American Express acceptance?

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
18 posts
fantasy86dj
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:47 pm
ICQ: 387113
WLM: katoomba@live.co.uk
Yahoo Messenger: mettymeta242
Location: Australia

Postby fantasy86dj » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:14 am

tntexan72 wrote:I always have a backup to Amex but any establishments who don't except Amex kinda irks me and I generally take my business somewhere else in the future. Merchants gripe about the fees but just imagine the loss business of not excepting Amex. I am a small business owner in retail so YES I don't understand :) . If you can pay me,,,,I take all of it.


My thoughts exactly! I avoid businesses that do not accept AE. I pay so much a year for an annual fee, I want my American Express accepted. Although I do also have a Visa and a Mastercard the points earn with AE is a lot better.


Money card
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: New York state

Postby Money card » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:04 pm

fantasy86dj wrote:My thoughts exactly! I avoid businesses that do not accept AE. I pay so much a year for an annual fee, I want my American Express accepted. Although I do also have a Visa and a Mastercard the points earn with AE is a lot better.


so other than pizza places/italian restaurants, that charge 7.00 for food and soda, bagel shops that charge 20.00 for cold cuts, rolls, bagels and coffee, that you could pay cash for.

while shopping over the holidays did you come across any places, such as stores or restaurants that didn't take American express?

MOC
Green Member
Green Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:56 am
Location: NC

Postby MOC » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:56 am

Usually some local restaurants do not accept the card. Also some local stores. I think all national chains besides fast food take them also. I've actually been handed the check in an American Express book and told they don't take them in restaurants. Quite a few gas stations also don't take it.

You have to remember that Amex is mostly a charge card and therefore charges a higher transaction fee. For small businesses they really stick it to them more so than large businesses with negotiating power. If I took 4% of all your sales with Visa and MC taking 2%, you might be on the opposite end of the argument.

fantasy86dj
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:47 pm
ICQ: 387113
WLM: katoomba@live.co.uk
Yahoo Messenger: mettymeta242
Location: Australia

Postby fantasy86dj » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:44 pm

I did come across a few restaurants that only took cards with a surcharge of 4% but that was all because I avoided non liking AMEX businesses. Thankfully as I live in a large city and not the country I have more options. All the department stores took my AMEX, the only time that I had to resort to my MasterCard was when I was paying at the parking garage.

User avatar
Pete838
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:26 am
Location: Florida

Postby Pete838 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:18 pm

fantasy86dj wrote:Loads of places in Australia still don't go near American Express. Places like The Reject Shop and Aldi do not take AE. My local medical centre, Melbourne Metro, restaurants in my area don't take AE either. A lot of places that I shop at (David Jones, Coles, Woolworths) do take AE.


ALDI here doesn't take any credit. Only PIN based debit, cash, and check.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Pete838
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:26 am
Location: Florida

Postby Pete838 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:22 pm

tntexan72 wrote:I always have a backup to Amex but any establishments who don't except Amex kinda irks me and I generally take my business somewhere else in the future. Merchants gripe about the fees but just imagine the loss business of not excepting Amex. I am a small business owner in retail so YES I don't understand :) . If you can pay me,,,,I take all of it.


+1, but some places can't be easily avoided. My car insurance and the local Chinese food restaurant and Sam's Club don't take AMEX (nor does Sam's take Visa), but other than that it's pretty good. My Platinum and my DL Gold are my go-to cards unless I'm shopping those few places.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan

DoingHomework
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Postby DoingHomework » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:28 pm

MOC wrote:You have to remember that Amex is mostly a charge card and therefore charges a higher transaction fee. For small businesses they really stick it to them more so than large businesses with negotiating power. If I took 4% of all your sales with Visa and MC taking 2%, you might be on the opposite end of the argument.


You DO cost the merchant 4% when you use a rewards card or signature visa/mc! I pay about the same for V/MC as Amex charges. The biggest difference for the merchant is not the cost. It is that Amex requires a separate merchant account.

fantasy86dj
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:47 pm
ICQ: 387113
WLM: katoomba@live.co.uk
Yahoo Messenger: mettymeta242
Location: Australia

Postby fantasy86dj » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:49 am

Aldi here accepts Visa and Mastercard debit / credit and cash.



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest