frustrated with point and spending thresholds.

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
9 posts
jcarte29
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

frustrated with point and spending thresholds.

Postby jcarte29 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:26 pm

I just had a heated conversation with AMEX about the Platinum 3k/40k promotion (i referenced this board as to where I heard about it, right at the top of the AMEX forum in the reveiw section of this card)

They say it has never existed, that the promotion tied to my account is for 5k/50k threshold in the first 3 months. I simply asked them to honor the 3k/40k because that was the only promotion I knew of, nowhere else (even on AmericanExpress.com) does it talk about having to spend 5k.

The point of this is, I partially applied for the card because 3k was a reasonable threshold for me to reach in the first 3 months, given that it's not a balance than can be carried over, that I would pay it off every month.

They tried to say "well we can't change a promotion after it's been tied to the account," except that's exactly what happened. I only found out about a 5k threshold when I called today to confirm the date the spending starts (which is the day the card was approved, not necessarily when it arrives in the mail.)


Has anyone else had this issue with AMEX? Again, there has been NOTHING I have found that promotes 5k/50k.


6:05p 1/12 Edit: I also found same 3k/40k promotion on thepointsguy.com, again confirming what I've known since Nov 2016 lol
Portfolio:
CITI Diamond Preferred $10,500 [06-16]
AMEX Platinum (Charge) [11-16]
AMEX EDay $12,000 [11-14]
Lowes Store $15,000 [4-14]
CSP VISA $6,000 [7-14]
GM MC $9,000 [9-14]
AAdvantage Red MC $10,950 [10-14]
Discover IT $9,000 [03-15]
Chase Marriott VISA $5,000 [04-15]
Cap One Quick $4,600[4-10]


Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: frustrated with point and spending thresholds.

Postby Tubpbs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:44 am

jcarte29 wrote:I just had a heated conversation with AMEX about the Platinum 3k/40k promotion (i referenced this board as to where I heard about it, right at the top of the AMEX forum in the reveiw section of this card)

They say it has never existed, that the promotion tied to my account is for 5k/50k threshold in the first 3 months. I simply asked them to honor the 3k/40k because that was the only promotion I knew of, nowhere else (even on AmericanExpress.com) does it talk about having to spend 5k.

The point of this is, I partially applied for the card because 3k was a reasonable threshold for me to reach in the first 3 months, given that it's not a balance than can be carried over, that I would pay it off every month.

They tried to say "well we can't change a promotion after it's been tied to the account," except that's exactly what happened. I only found out about a 5k threshold when I called today to confirm the date the spending starts (which is the day the card was approved, not necessarily when it arrives in the mail.)


Has anyone else had this issue with AMEX? Again, there has been NOTHING I have found that promotes 5k/50k.


6:05p 1/12 Edit: I also found same 3k/40k promotion on thepointsguy.com, again confirming what I've known since Nov 2016 lol


It doesn't matter what it says on websites or what's available. It matters what was on the link you clicked when you applied - obviously we don't know what that is. On the other side of this, Amex is well known for refusing to honor a bonus offer seen elsewhere or even on their site the next day (Chase is known to be pretty good about doing the opposite).
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

rockyrock
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 901
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 am
Location: Ventura, CA

Re: frustrated with point and spending thresholds.

Postby rockyrock » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:43 am

Tubpbs wrote:
It doesn't matter what it says on websites or what's available. It matters what was on the link you clicked when you applied - obviously we don't know what that is. On the other side of this, Amex is well known for refusing to honor a bonus offer seen elsewhere or even on their site the next day (Chase is known to be pretty good about doing the opposite).



+1

Many offers are targeted so it doesn't matter if you can't find it somewhere else, it may have been just for you. My experience with Amex is that they are not as flexible as others when it comes to this but you can do your best to argue.

Years ago I applied for the SPG card and thought I had secured a larger bonus then I really had. When my additional points never arrived I called and argued with them until a manager finally agreed to award me the difference.

For reference, I had been a Platinum cardholder for >6 years and routinely ran >$20k a year through it. Not a baller by any means but still a profitable customer.

YMMV
Sapphire Reserve: travel & dining
Blue Cash Preferred: groceries & gas
Freedom: 5% cats
Double Cash: everything else

Patcell87
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:55 am
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Re: frustrated with point and spending thresholds.

Postby Patcell87 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:16 am

I applied for a Premier Rewards Gold in 2014 using the link on their website showing the standard 25k MR points after $3k spend in 3 months. I even took a screenshot of the application page. I then far exceeded the necessary spend and was never awarded any bonus points. I called customer service and escalated as far as I could and was told that there was no promotion at all attached to my account. I emeailed the screenshot to the manager I spoke to and was politely told to go pound sand.

I understand that Amex is strict with bonuses, but I had never had any of their charge products before. My only existing account with them was Blue Cash that I had opened in 2008.

Needless to say I closed both accounts. It's to bad too because I would like to open a Platinum mostly for access to the Centurion lounges...

mountaindewvoltage
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: frustrated with point and spending thresholds.

Postby mountaindewvoltage » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:42 am

What I'm frustrated with is how they make you wait an additional statement before rewards post.

If you get $45 worth of rewards from purchases in July before the August statement hits, you have to wait until September until you can redeem them, and then after that, you can only redeem them in $25 increments so now you can only redeem $25 of your $45 until the following month.

Whatever idiot is in charge of the rewards department at AMEX should be fired between this and what you said.

Patcell87
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:55 am
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Re: frustrated with point and spending thresholds.

Postby Patcell87 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:00 pm

mountaindewvoltage wrote:What I'm frustrated with is how they make you wait an additional statement before rewards post.

If you get $45 worth of rewards from purchases in July before the August statement hits, you have to wait until September until you can redeem them, and then after that, you can only redeem them in $25 increments so now you can only redeem $25 of your $45 until the following month.

Whatever idiot is in charge of the rewards department at AMEX should be fired between this and what you said.


I couldn't agree more. This drove me crazy when I regularly used by Blue Cash. Same policy for MR points also (except the $25 increment restriction).

luvbullmarkets
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 am
Location: TPC Stonebrae

Re: frustrated with point and spending thresholds.

Postby luvbullmarkets » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Sorry to hear your frustrating story.

On a side note I received the same $5K/50K MR promo offer in the mail.
Amex PRG, Amex EveryDay, Amex BCE, Barclaycard Arrival, Cap One Venture One, CSP, Chase Freedom, Discover it, Macy's Star Card, Wells Fargo Propel 365 Amex, Wells Fargo Visa Sig

"Attack this day with a level of enthusiasm unknown to mankind." - Jack Harbaugh

Bacon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: frustrated with point and spending thresholds.

Postby Bacon » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Given the discussion here, I thought the below article on this site' blog was appropriate. FWIW, i received an Amex Gold 100,000 point offer years ago. I didn't have any problems and did receive the points after the minimum spend.

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/credit-card-rewards-claw-back/

kdm31091
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Location: Claymont, DE

Re: frustrated with point and spending thresholds.

Postby kdm31091 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:26 am

Amex is unfortunately not very flexible with this type of thing most of the time. The offer you applied under is the one you will have to meet the threshold for. If it's truly an error AND you have proof (i.e. a screenshot of the offer as you applied) you can fight it, but if not, they're going to stick to what they see on your account.

If you have no proof, you're kind of stuck, unless you try the EO or something but it could be that the system literally does not allow them to adjust the offer on your account.



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests