PRG/Platinum "extras" reminder

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
20 posts
mountaindewvoltage
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: PRG/Platinum "extras" reminder

Postby mountaindewvoltage » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:13 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
mountaindewvoltage wrote:Sticking with Jet Blue because I have a flight locked in for March and want to use the $100 credit towards a checked bag both ways since it'll be less of a hassle for me to carry and go through security with it (first time flyer), expedited security, a $5 head set, and alcoholic beverages. Can't wait to book my hotel stay and get a free room upgrade, mostly pay with my 50,000 points, and get my $75 hotel credit.

How/were you able to use the 2016 credit? I've read Amex is a bit inconsistent in how they treat JetBlue transactions for the credit. Some people get base airfare reimbursed automatically, others have trouble getting even genuine extras reimbursed.


Yes I used all but $5 of the airline credit for 2016.


Scoobynoodles
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 pm
Location: NYC

Re: PRG/Platinum "extras" reminder

Postby Scoobynoodles » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:58 pm

amexmember12 wrote:Sticking with Delta - will possibly use my credit for gift cards again since as a medallion most of my fees get reimbursed.


Noobie question -- how do you get credit on the purchase of gift cards? I spoke w/Amex and they said only incidental fees of which gift cards aren't a part of it. I barely touched my $200 Delta credit *sad face* because I have status and don't have to check bags and get free access to the lounges.
AmEx Platinum 2009 & Blue Cash $3.5K Delta Gold $6K
BofA BankAmericard $6K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $10K & Amazon $1.5K Freedom $2.2K | CACU Platinum $13K
Discover Cashback $8.5K & It $6K | Citi Simplicity $5.6K & TY $4.3K

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: PRG/Platinum "extras" reminder

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:06 pm

Scoobynoodles wrote:
amexmember12 wrote:Sticking with Delta - will possibly use my credit for gift cards again since as a medallion most of my fees get reimbursed.


Noobie question -- how do you get credit on the purchase of gift cards? I spoke w/Amex and they said only incidental fees of which gift cards aren't a part of it. I barely touched my $200 Delta credit *sad face* because I have status and don't have to check bags and get free access to the lounges.

Officially, gift cards are excluded.

In practice, though, some gift card purchases will trigger the credit. It depends on the airline and gift card denomination. Check out Flyertalk's Amex forum for details. There is a thread for each airline with the latest details.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

Scoobynoodles
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 pm
Location: NYC

Re: PRG/Platinum "extras" reminder

Postby Scoobynoodles » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:41 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
Scoobynoodles wrote:
amexmember12 wrote:Sticking with Delta - will possibly use my credit for gift cards again since as a medallion most of my fees get reimbursed.


Noobie question -- how do you get credit on the purchase of gift cards? I spoke w/Amex and they said only incidental fees of which gift cards aren't a part of it. I barely touched my $200 Delta credit *sad face* because I have status and don't have to check bags and get free access to the lounges.

Officially, gift cards are excluded.

In practice, though, some gift card purchases will trigger the credit. It depends on the airline and gift card denomination. Check out Flyertalk's Amex forum for details. There is a thread for each airline with the latest details.


Nice! I'll check that out. I'm "Silver" w/Delta (1 free bag) and also have the Delta Gold card (1 free bag) so I get two bags checked in for free + Platinum card gives me access to Delta lounges. So I'm trying to see how I can take advantage of the $200 credit. Thanks for the tip.
AmEx Platinum 2009 & Blue Cash $3.5K Delta Gold $6K
BofA BankAmericard $6K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $10K & Amazon $1.5K Freedom $2.2K | CACU Platinum $13K
Discover Cashback $8.5K & It $6K | Citi Simplicity $5.6K & TY $4.3K

User avatar
amexmember12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Re: PRG/Platinum "extras" reminder

Postby amexmember12 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Scoobynoodles wrote:Nice! I'll check that out. I'm "Silver" w/Delta (1 free bag) and also have the Delta Gold card (1 free bag) so I get two bags checked in for free + Platinum card gives me access to Delta lounges. So I'm trying to see how I can take advantage of the $200 credit. Thanks for the tip.


For Delta gift cards increments of $50 per gift card trigger the credit. So you could buy 4x $50 gift cards and reimbursed $200.

Image
CSR $24K | Discover IT $22.9K | AMEX BCE $15K | AMEX EveryDay $12.9K | Marriott Premier - $11K | Delta Platinum $10K | Freedom $6.5K | Freedom $6K | BOA Travel Rewards - $2.7K | AMEX Platinum

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: PRG/Platinum "extras" reminder

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:46 am

I just had an odd experience with Delta.

I applied a $50 GC (previously bought with Platinum) to a $215 ticket purchase. $165 for the ticket went on Platinum. The $50 GC was reimbursed...but so was $150 of the $165 charge for the ticket.

It's just one case, but the use of a GC may possibly change how a transaction codes?
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: PRG/Platinum "extras" reminder

Postby Tubpbs » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:00 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I just had an odd experience with Delta.

I applied a $50 GC (previously bought with Platinum) to a $215 ticket purchase. $165 for the ticket went on Platinum. The $50 GC was reimbursed...but so was $150 of the $165 charge for the ticket.

It's just one case, but the use of a GC may possibly change how a transaction codes?



That would be useful...
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: PRG/Platinum "extras" reminder

Postby Tubpbs » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:01 pm

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:I just had an odd experience with Delta.

I applied a $50 GC (previously bought with Platinum) to a $215 ticket purchase. $165 for the ticket went on Platinum. The $50 GC was reimbursed...but so was $150 of the $165 charge for the ticket.

It's just one case, but the use of a GC may possibly change how a transaction codes?



A different but sort of similar data point...

I used my Platinum for seat upgrades on a Delta flight right before the period ended this past year. When I actually got on the flight, they moved me one seat back so the upgrade was lost. I called and got a refund, but my travel credit was never reversed...
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: PRG/Platinum "extras" reminder

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:09 pm

I should also mention the actual ticket purchase included a second (GC-free) ticket at $215. I was thinking maybe the $165 looked like an "extras" fee for the $215 ticket.

But...with Amex each ticket posted as a separate transaction...each with accurate (different) passenger names and ticket numbers.
Warranties and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum
Price rewind: Costco
Travel insurance: Prestige, CSP
Perks: IHG, Hyatt
Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE
Taxes/Misc: SPG

Limited value, might close: Arrival

Might add: First Tech, proper business card

luvbullmarkets
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 am
Location: TPC Stonebrae

Re: PRG/Platinum "extras" reminder

Postby luvbullmarkets » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:50 pm

Bought two AA $50 virtual gift cards on 2/17. Got the fee credit on 2/19. :D
Amex PRG, Amex EveryDay, Amex BCE, Barclaycard Arrival, Cap One Venture One, CSP, Chase Freedom, Discover it, Macy's Star Card, Wells Fargo Propel 365 Amex, Wells Fargo Visa Sig

"Attack this day with a level of enthusiasm unknown to mankind." - Jack Harbaugh



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests