Going from the green to the gold

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
20 posts
Robrus1
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Texas

Postby Robrus1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:26 pm

jdauria wrote:bumping an old thread because I didnt want to start a new one with the same question. Just got green because I didn't think I would qualify for gold. I know green doesn't have many perks especially at $95/year. I hope after 13 months I can upgrade to gold preferred.

I have excellent credit, would I be crazy to try to upgrade to gold right now? (product change) I am new to Amex and didn't really know how much green would give me. Would it be wise to even apply for BCP as well?


You cannot pc to anything until the 13th month. At that point you can product change to any charge card you want. If you were approved for a Green it means you would've been approved for any of the charge cards. The only way to get it sooner would be to apply for it separately and cancelling the green, at the expense of another hard pull.
Amex Platinum
Amex BCP 21K
Amex SPG 5K
Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K
Chase Sapphire Preferred 23.5K
Credit Union 10K
Discover IT 7.75K


jdauria
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:52 am
Location: Arlington

Postby jdauria » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:44 am

Robrus1 wrote:You cannot pc to anything until the 13th month. At that point you can product change to any charge card you want. If you were approved for a Green it means you would've been approved for any of the charge cards. The only way to get it sooner would be to apply for it separately and cancelling the green, at the expense of another hard pull.


Thanks for the information. Oh well I can live with Green for a year and than product change to PRG.

Still wondering if I should apply for Blue Preferred Cash sooner rather than later.
[font=Times New Roman][size=80]American Express Green[color=green] [NPSL][/color]
American Express Blue Cash Preferred
Chase Freedom

Future:
American Express Premier Rewards Gold[/size][/font]

Patcell87
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:55 am
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Postby Patcell87 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:26 am

jdauria wrote:Thanks for the information. Oh well I can live with Green for a year and than product change to PRG.

Still wondering if I should apply for Blue Preferred Cash sooner rather than later.


Do you think you'll take advantage of the bonus categories on the BCP? If so, there is little harm in applying now other than the hard pull. It has no bearing on you being able to product change Green to Gold/PRG later on.

jdauria
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:52 am
Location: Arlington

Postby jdauria » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:28 am

Patcell87 wrote:Do you think you'll take advantage of the bonus categories on the BCP? If so, there is little harm in applying now other than the hard pull. It has no bearing on you being able to product change Green to Gold/PRG later on.


Oh hell ya, I have to fill up my car(s) every week with premium gas! Not to mention the $100-150 on groceries every 2 weeks or so.
[font=Times New Roman][size=80]American Express Green[color=green] [NPSL][/color]

American Express Blue Cash Preferred

Chase Freedom



Future:

American Express Premier Rewards Gold[/size][/font]

Patcell87
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:55 am
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Postby Patcell87 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:34 am

jdauria wrote:Oh hell ya, I have to fill up my car(s) every week with premium gas! Not to mention the $100-150 on groceries every 2 weeks or so.


Oh, definitely go for the BCP then! It really is the best card for grocery & gas expenses IMO. It's a lot of fun watching the reward dollars add up...

jdauria
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:52 am
Location: Arlington

Postby jdauria » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:24 pm

Patcell87 wrote:Oh, definitely go for the BCP then! It really is the best card for grocery & gas expenses IMO. It's a lot of fun watching the reward dollars add up...


Yup, just applied we'll see how it goes with the approval process. I can't see how they would deny me but never know. Next year i'll upgrade Green to Gold.
[font=Times New Roman][size=80]American Express Green[color=green] [NPSL][/color]

American Express Blue Cash Preferred

Chase Freedom



Future:

American Express Premier Rewards Gold[/size][/font]

Patcell87
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:55 am
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Postby Patcell87 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:14 pm

jdauria wrote:Yup, just applied we'll see how it goes with the approval process. I can't see how they would deny me but never know. Next year i'll upgrade Green to Gold.


Good luck! Let us know how it goes. Like I said, great card for gas and groceries...

jdauria
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:52 am
Location: Arlington

Postby jdauria » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Patcell87 wrote:Good luck! Let us know how it goes. Like I said, great card for gas and groceries...


I was approved!
[font=Times New Roman][size=80]American Express Green[color=green] [NPSL][/color]

American Express Blue Cash Preferred

Chase Freedom



Future:

American Express Premier Rewards Gold[/size][/font]

mrow
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Wilmington, DE

Postby mrow » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:48 pm

jdauria wrote:I was approved!



Sorry for the bump but I just wanted to point something out to this guy since he just the BCP. Two words: gift cards. Most grocery stores sell gift cards to everything now. If you know you're going to make a purchase of, say, $25 or more it's worth the trip to the closest grocery store to buy a gift card, if they have one, for whatever it is so you earn the 6% cash back as opposed to just 1% or 3%. A couple months ago I needed $3,000 worth of stuff from Lowe's and Home Depot. Because I bought gift cards for each at Safeway, I got $180 cash back as opposed to the $30 I would have gotten at the normal 1% cash back rate. The only negative is I think they realized people were doing this and going overboard with the grocery category and its now limited to 6% cash back for the first $6,000, then just 1% after that.

If you're looking for another card to pick up and think you might use the gift card loophole enough to hit the BCP annual limit, the Chase Ink cash back card has no annual fee, and offers 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent each year at office supply stores which also have a huge gift card selection. Or at least Office Depot does. That card also offers 5% cash back on your phone/cell phone, TV and internet bills. And if you can talk the store manager in to letting you ring up Vanilla reload cards with a credit card, you can use them to load an Amex BlueBird prepaid checking account and get 5% cash back for paying your mortgage/rent or anything else that has to be paid with check.

jdauria
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:52 am
Location: Arlington

Postby jdauria » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:30 am

mrow wrote:Sorry for the bump but I just wanted to point something out to this guy since he just the BCP. Two words: gift cards. Most grocery stores sell gift cards to everything now. If you know you're going to make a purchase of, say, $25 or more it's worth the trip to the closest grocery store to buy a gift card, if they have one, for whatever it is so you earn the 6% cash back as opposed to just 1% or 3%. A couple months ago I needed $3,000 worth of stuff from Lowe's and Home Depot. Because I bought gift cards for each at Safeway, I got $180 cash back as opposed to the $30 I would have gotten at the normal 1% cash back rate. The only negative is I think they realized people were doing this and going overboard with the grocery category and its now limited to 6% cash back for the first $6,000, then just 1% after that.

If you're looking for another card to pick up and think you might use the gift card loophole enough to hit the BCP annual limit, the Chase Ink cash back card has no annual fee, and offers 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent each year at office supply stores which also have a huge gift card selection. Or at least Office Depot does. That card also offers 5% cash back on your phone/cell phone, TV and internet bills. And if you can talk the store manager in to letting you ring up Vanilla reload cards with a credit card, you can use them to load an Amex BlueBird prepaid checking account and get 5% cash back for paying your mortgage/rent or anything else that has to be paid with check.


Good point, and thanks for the recommendation. At this time I think I will hold off on applying for credit cards for awhile. I have a solid 5-6 CC now and I really dont need anymore.
[font=Times New Roman][size=80]American Express Green[color=green] [NPSL][/color]

American Express Blue Cash Preferred

Chase Freedom



Future:

American Express Premier Rewards Gold[/size][/font]



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests