Harris Teeter doesn't count as a Supermarket

American Express forum. Talk about AmEx credit cards like Blue, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, and more.
10 posts
To My Credit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Harris Teeter doesn't count as a Supermarket

Postby To My Credit » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:42 pm

Harris Teeter is apparently a grocery store and not a supermarket. Not sure if that goes for all Harris Teeter stores or just my local one, but that's what I was told. Some of these designations are really weird. Harris Teeter is definitely more of a supermarket than a grocery store. I mean, it's essentially the same as Safeway, and AmEx categorizes Safeway as a supermarket. Or maybe it's Harris Teeter that categorizes itself as a grocery store?
Current cards: BankAmericard CR, BankAmericard BBR, Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom, AmEx BCE, Discover It
Wishlist: US Bank Cash+


User avatar
CarefulBuilder14
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: United States

Re: Harris Teeter doesn't count as a Supermarket

Postby CarefulBuilder14 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:40 am

To My Credit wrote:Harris Teeter is apparently a grocery store and not a supermarket. Not sure if that goes for all Harris Teeter stores or just my local one, but that's what I was told. Some of these designations are really weird. Harris Teeter is definitely more of a supermarket than a grocery store. I mean, it's essentially the same as Safeway, and AmEx categorizes Safeway as a supermarket. Or maybe it's Harris Teeter that categorizes itself as a grocery store?

Yeah, the designations can be weird. A local liquor store is classified as a grocery store, but has never qualified for Amex's grocery bonus category.

I've had a Safeway store qualify for Amex, Chase, and Barclaycard bonus categories without any problems.
Wallet: Prestige CSP SchwabPlat Freedom It Hyatt SallieMae AAPlat
SD: Arrival BrooksBros BCE ED IHG
Letting new accounts cool off since May
Really not sure what I'll add next or when

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Harris Teeter doesn't count as a Supermarket

Postby Tubpbs » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:27 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:
To My Credit wrote:Harris Teeter is apparently a grocery store and not a supermarket. Not sure if that goes for all Harris Teeter stores or just my local one, but that's what I was told. Some of these designations are really weird. Harris Teeter is definitely more of a supermarket than a grocery store. I mean, it's essentially the same as Safeway, and AmEx categorizes Safeway as a supermarket. Or maybe it's Harris Teeter that categorizes itself as a grocery store?

Yeah, the designations can be weird. A local liquor store is classified as a grocery store, but has never qualified for Amex's grocery bonus category.

I've had a Safeway store qualify for Amex, Chase, and Barclaycard bonus categories without any problems.


I don't understand the distinction...isn't the category "grocery stores" not "supermarkets" anyway?

I'm lost.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

To My Credit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Re: Harris Teeter doesn't count as a Supermarket

Postby To My Credit » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:56 am

CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Yeah, the designations can be weird. A local liquor store is classified as a grocery store, but has never qualified for Amex's grocery bonus category.

I've had a Safeway store qualify for Amex, Chase, and Barclaycard bonus categories without any problems.
It kind of blows, because I do most of my grocery shopping at Harris Teeter. I guess I'll have to make do with my BoA CR card, which gives me 2% plus a customer bonus. I'm eventually going to move to where my primary grocery shopping will be at Safeway, so I guess I could use my BCE then.

Not that this makes much of a difference considering how low my usual grocery spend is.

Tubpbs wrote:I don't understand the distinction...isn't the category "grocery stores" not "supermarkets" anyway?

That's what I thought, too, but apparently not. :confused:
Current cards: BankAmericard CR, BankAmericard BBR, Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom, AmEx BCE, Discover It
Wishlist: US Bank Cash+

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Harris Teeter doesn't count as a Supermarket

Postby Tubpbs » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:22 am

To My Credit wrote:
CarefulBuilder14 wrote:Yeah, the designations can be weird. A local liquor store is classified as a grocery store, but has never qualified for Amex's grocery bonus category.

I've had a Safeway store qualify for Amex, Chase, and Barclaycard bonus categories without any problems.
It kind of blows, because I do most of my grocery shopping at Harris Teeter. I guess I'll have to make do with my BoA CR card, which gives me 2% plus a customer bonus. I'm eventually going to move to where my primary grocery shopping will be at Safeway, so I guess I could use my BCE then.

Not that this makes much of a difference considering how low my usual grocery spend is.

Tubpbs wrote:I don't understand the distinction...isn't the category "grocery stores" not "supermarkets" anyway?

That's what I thought, too, but apparently not. :confused:


I know on my BCP, the stores that code as grocery stores count. I don't know if I've even seen the designation supermarket.

Have you called Amex? It seems like a ridiculous issue...
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

To My Credit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Re: Harris Teeter doesn't count as a Supermarket

Postby To My Credit » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:33 am

Tubpbs wrote:I know on my BCP, the stores that code as grocery stores count. I don't know if I've even seen the designation supermarket.
Here is what it says on my transactions:

GROCERY STORES
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries


Have you called Amex? It seems like a ridiculous issue...
I just chatted with an AmEx CSR after my statement posted and I was told that my Harris Teeter expenses only earned 1% cashback because it was categorized as a grocery store and not as a supermarket. Calling wouldn't make a difference, would it?

Again, considering my low expenditure on groceries and the fact that I get 2+% on my BoA CR, this doesn't make much of a difference to me. I just found it really weird and thought I'd post.
Current cards: BankAmericard CR, BankAmericard BBR, Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom, AmEx BCE, Discover It
Wishlist: US Bank Cash+

Tubpbs
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Harris Teeter doesn't count as a Supermarket

Postby Tubpbs » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:02 pm

It looks like the annual fee on the BCP will be going up to $95 after August 3, 2016 also.

That's a bit of a surprise. Not that appealing to me as a cardholder.
Amex - BCP, Platinum, Business Gold
BoA - BankAmericard Cash Rewards
Chase - Freedom, CSP, RC, Ink Plus
Citi - DC, Prestige
Discover - It

takeshi
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: US

Re: Harris Teeter doesn't count as a Supermarket

Postby takeshi » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:48 pm

It happens with many rewards programs on many cards. Merchants aren't always coded as expected and rewards programs sometime draw the line in an odd spot. You just have to be aware of whether or not the merchants you use care coded properly for the rewards programs you use. You cannot rely solely how you perceive a merchant or how similar a merchant seems to be to another. It's all about the coding.

swipe_masta
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: USA

Re: Harris Teeter doesn't count as a Supermarket

Postby swipe_masta » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:59 pm

I guess it also has to do with how big the chain is? I lived in Charlotte a few years to know that HT isn't even a state supermarket chain, it's only in a few areas. I can tell you that indeed that is strange cause I've used my BCE and Sallie Mae and I've always gotten the right amount back. Is the HT you shop at an express and not a regular store? I'd def call cause 2% is 2% lol.

To My Credit
Centurion Member
Centurion Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Re: Harris Teeter doesn't count as a Supermarket

Postby To My Credit » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:34 pm

swipe_masta wrote:I guess it also has to do with how big the chain is? I lived in Charlotte a few years to know that HT isn't even a state supermarket chain, it's only in a few areas. I can tell you that indeed that is strange cause I've used my BCE and Sallie Mae and I've always gotten the right amount back. Is the HT you shop at an express and not a regular store? I'd def call cause 2% is 2% lol.

It is a regular store. The AmEx CSR says the merchant categorized itself as a Grocery Store and not as a Supermarket (not sure what the difference is) and he seemed to suggest there is nothing they can do about it. I'd call, but I get 2%+ at Harris Teeter with my BoA CR, so it's not a big deal. I don't spend enough there for the difference between 2.2% and 3% to be too significant.
Current cards: BankAmericard CR, BankAmericard BBR, Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom, AmEx BCE, Discover It
Wishlist: US Bank Cash+



Return to “American Express”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests